ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Whats happend! Gearbox/diff/driveshaft ?

LY 182
Basically i started to notice a slight knock on slow full lock turns and thought it was a cv joint in its way out, this then started to get worse quite quickly whith it knocking on long sweeping corners and i also noticed the car steering by its self half way round corners which was scary, this then made me think it was maby the diff causing one wheel to slow down or something,
i jacked up one side of the car and the wheel kept jamming up, unable to spin it by hand, jacked up the otherside so that both front wheels are off the floor and it is constantly fighting against the otherside, like if someone tries to hold the drivers still while i spin the passenger side, when it jams up its wanting to turn there side wheel as well,

anyone else had any experiences like this or something similar,
ill try and attach a vid but it probably wont work

th_789B31B7-3B57-4314-A467-203884E0CBBB_zpsxxxycfqp.jpg

And yes, the car is in neutral! Haha

Renault Clio182 bean
Either cv joint locking up (due to joint breaking up) or the diff locking up, could be either of these especially if its only with the steering turned on or near full lock.

LY 182
Hopefully it is just a driveshaft! Gonna have to strip it down to find out for definate and update with my results tomorrow

late 2003 172cup
I was always told never to floor a Clio sport while wheels are sharply turned , not good for the shafts :)
Just some advice from a lad I know who used to repair many:)

LY 182
Well it wasnt the driveshaft, took the blx out last night and sent it away to be stripped down, pretty posetive its the diff now, anyone heard anything on these new gripper diffs where the plates are submerged in oil so they dont need to be rebuilt as often, guy at gripper said it should last over 50,000 miles on a road car with the odd few track days, also there supposed to be silent, no more noises when turning slowly

Take the passenger shaft out and remove the driveshaft cup (probably 4 t30 bolts holding yours in, instead of a circlip. You'll be able to inspect the planet gears like this.