ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with getting the best out of a bridge camera

BMW 330ci
http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=fcbTTsnPFMinhAeZnK3tDg&sqi=2&ved=0CHAQ8wIwAQ

Right so basically Ive got the camera above think its whats known as a "bridge" camera, and its a fujifilm s2500HD, cost around £150 new IIRC. So I just want to know how I can get the best pictures properly. Ive had a look through the photography tutorials, I know there probably useless because there for DSLR's but none the less, and they aint really helped me.

I have always used the pre set modes, such as sport, Scene Recognition etc. But decided to have a mess with the manual settings but had no look. I know its never going to produce quality like a DSLR, but just want to try and get the best pictures I can.

Any help, and I know I should buy a DSLR, but cant afford it yet.

Thanks
Brad

Cupra
You need to start with understanding how aperture and shutter speed affect a photo, and how to use the to get the effect that you after.

Alongside that you have depth of field, composition and exposure.

Stick the book "Understanding Exposure" on your Christmas wishlist.

Stick it to point and shoot and away you go!

Unfortunately with a compact sensor you will never get the depth of field to bother messing with aperture.

Shutter speed is worth looking up though :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My Fuji bridge produced some very nice shots. (OK, once I'd got the grips of my 450D I was taking better shots than the below but still...)

DSCF0588.png

DSCF0626.png

DSCF0344.png

DSCF0359.png

IMO it's the person taking the shots that makes the photo. Cheaper cameras don't get the clarity in the skys etc, as they try to do everything adequately... but that's what you can iron out once you get the hang of your D-SLR (when you eventually upgrade ;) )

I never bothered with the manual settings on mine. They were really not obvious and user friendly, and from what I've seen since, there's not much of a range to bother with anyway. The dragon fly one above was in 'macro' mode which I think was it's best feature.

Whack it in the auto modes and learn how to compose decent photos rather than trying to over complicate things. :approve:

BMW 330ci
WOW, you've got some awesome photos there tbf, I personally think they look as good as a DSLR. Have to get practising lol.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated :)