ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP

of recent my car has the most ridiculous road noise in the world, honestly take it past 20 miles an hour and the noise is intrusive on the cabin area....i dont expect bentley kind of refinement but its ridiculous....on the motorway i cant even hear myself think?!?!...i have had it lowered but at first there wasnt a noise so my guesses are:

1. the tyres have worn to a point where road noise is stupid (tyres dont look bald at all)
2. the rear wheels are rubbing against the arch but im fairly positive they arent..
3. the exhaust has a hole in perhaps and its causing the loud noise as speed builds

has anyone suffered from apparant road noise only to discover it was something else?!

any suggestions appreciated

Mk1 Maxim Sport
What car u got?? it is a very common problem on mk1's as all mine have had to be replaced and ur description sounds similar. Going down the motorway it was just stupid i had to have my music at nearly full whack just to hear the radio lol. Either that or like u said a hole in ur exhaust cause iv had that problem aswel lol.

its a 2004 1.4 clio.......its soo intrusive, does any1 suggest changing this myself, should save labour charges im guessing :)

renault clio sport 172cup
could be wheel bearing i had slight noise when my back one went try shaking all the wheels if any feel loose like the wheel isnt tight it could be wheel bearing.

www.renparts.co.uk
to see if the exhaust is blowing, cover it with your hand (gloved preferably) and listen for hissing as it pressurizes, if it hisses its blowing, if it doesn't pressurize its broken somewhere.

Clio 1.5 dci
Most likely a wheel bearing. You should be able to determine if it is a front or rear by listening carefully when driving. Then jack up the appropriate side/end of the car, make sure it is secure and spin the wheel by hand. If the noise is a bad as you say it is you should be able to hear it or feel a roughness. There will not necessarily be any play in a faulty bearing.

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
from what you said, im 95% sure its a wheel bearing. ive had a similar problem and replacement bearings on the problem wheels (rear) sorted it.

1998 1.2 Clio Easy
My wife's 1.2 Clio Esay has a similar noise. It is car speed related not engine speed, and appears tp be coming from the front nearside. The noise starts about 20 mph and just keeps getting louder, but does get slightly better when turning right.

From what I have read here I guess I am looking at wheel bearings, or maybe CV joints. Anyone agree?

I just just glad it doesn't sound like it is the 'Easy' gearbox!