ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hidden weight in a clio

1,679 grams

Tar sound deadening behind front seats/in front of rear seats (6pieces I believe)

Not including the boot one.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
1,679 grams

Tar sound deadening behind front seats/in front of rear seats (6pieces I believe)

Not including the boot one.

Bar the piece in the rear quarter turret that's hard to get at, all of the tar I removed from my old ph2 non cup shell came to 8.74kg on the balance here at work.

172 Cup had less. Strips on roof instead of a square panel & smaller patches on he boot floor etc. Couldnt say for certain how much less elsewhere though.

For me that stuff is free weight saving as the difference it makes is questionable. Removing carpets and stuff does make a huge difference ti a daily car though.

Ph.2 172 / A6 Qttro
dsc_4370gdx2y.jpg

Last edited:

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
I got rid of that resonance damper on my 172 when I was changing engine mounts, didnt notice any difference once it was gone. When the engine mount is removed, the weight is only held on by one bolt, so it's a straight forward job to remove.

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Would you say it's best to get rid of that if I run solid engine mounts or can I get rid on the standard rubber mounts ?
Many thanks
In my (uneducated in this item) opinion i would remove it. I don't believe it has any function that would effect anything important. I can only assume it was designed to counter a noise or vibration issue that was picked up in early design testing by renault.

Clio 220 PH2
Thank you very much gentlemen it's very much appreciated I will get it removed asap
I am guessing it's pretty simple to remove
Many thanks
Ben

Local news has reported that a man died as a result of crashing his Renault Clio yesterday after removing a part of the vehicle designed to stop nuts working their way loose. LOL

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
About 10kg without a tyre. Tyres can vary alot. I recall i had some avons thay were nearly the same as the wheels. Where the rs3s i put on last week were feather weight in comparison (i didn't think to weigh them tho).

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
About 10kg without a tyre. Tyres can vary alot. I recall i had some avons thay were nearly the same as the wheels. Where the rs3s i put on last week were feather weight in comparison (i didn't think to weigh them tho).
That makes sense thank you

Ah thats good, I just spent a few hours with the heat gun and scraper! Not too bad though. If you're going full weight reduction, how about cutting out the inner shell of the boot and doors? Obviously you'd ideally do this if you've got a cage to keep structural strength.

I want to keep the standard boot latch, if I was to cut it out I'd want to go for pins.
Likewise the front doors, I could cut chunks out of them, but unless you go poly windows you need something to mount the door handle and window regulator to.

I know there are LOADS of places I could lose weight out of the car, but things like ~4kg out of the front end between the engine mount weight and the fogs with no negatives is what I was hoping for!