ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High Milage 172

Seeing as most Ph1 172 are over 100k what are the mail things that need to be look after and does have anyone have any really high milage ones on the go still going strong?

I know its a fairly new designed engine and should be good for a few more miles but just wondering on peoples experience.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Just make sure it's got a decent service history and not owned by a gimp. My ph2 172 is currently on 99989 miles and its solid and has been for the 17'000 I've owned it.

iv done 17k since i bought my cup in october and trust me it gets death but unfortunately something has just gave out but other than that its been ok

Even with the abuse mine has suffered it's on 120k and the engine is still bone dry with no oil or water leaks.
Starts straight away and knackered dephaser excluding runs smoothly with plenty of pull.

Good strong engines.
As for the rest of the car that remains to be seen :evil:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The only bad thing about a high mileage car is they are harder to sell on.

I genuinely believe my car with 101k on it was a better car than a lot of others with half the mileage at £1k more, simply because it was well cared for service wise. Had more services than it needed!

People would rather buy a 17k shitter than a nice 100k+ minter.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Forget service history. Get your spanners out. Mine's done 160,000 miles, pulls strongly and returns 40+ mpg. It has not had any service stamps since I bought it on approx 25,000 miles some six years ago. Just replace the fluids as required (5000 miles for engine oil and 15,000 for gearbox oil) and with better quality fluids than the dealers would use.

330i. E30 Touring.
great engines, great chassis.

let dont by a chocolate gearbox

Wrong. Let down by people who have no mechanical sympathy.

Same as 106/Saxo boxes- they're not particularly weak they just get given hell!

Also, some of the best cars on here imo are high milers. Nick's, Dave's, Fletch's are all awesome. I'd always pick a 100k miler over a 50k. My first Ph1 was on 110k and still put out 164bhp standard.

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
When mine sold it was 139k and the box was still lovely, it does depend how they have been looked after.

320d
The engines are strong and the boxes are ok with mechanical sympathy. My issue is with things like the engine mounts going sloppy. Out of the three 172's i've driven, one of which I owned they all had engine movement even after new mounts. Admittedly I've never tried with with uprated mounts.

Evo 5 RS
to be fair even the vibrotechnics wear.. will last longer than the originals though. Could say bad design but tbf if you're putting 170-200hp in a small car a few things are going to break...especially if it's a Renault :(