ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hit a rabbit

b/g 182, meg tourer
:mad: bloody thing cracked my splitter in half and cracked a few bits of plastic underneath!
all that from a rabbit!
anyway... i was after some advice about the cracked plastic trays. they were hanging down from being cracked. i have managed to secure it back up pretty well but i had to cut a few peices off as they were too cracked to sit back in place. what i wanted to know is if you think it will be ok leaving the plastic tray cracked or should i replace it? the alternator belt is pretty well covered, as is everything else, but it could get some road spray etc... on it.
advice appreciated

luke

Mondeo
Sorry if this sounds sick, but make sure the animal isn't stuck underneath!

My mate did the same thing in his Golf Mk2 GTi - hit a rabbit. When he decided after months to investigate a funny smell he found a rotting carcuss wedged uinderneath between the body and fuel tank.

Otherwise, good luck with the repairs and be greatful it was nothing larger! Another mate of mine hit a deer near the M1 J27 - it wrote off his brand new 307HDi ;-)

Mondeo
I know its going off at a tangent slighty - but I will try and make it applicable ;-)

Plastic trays protect the engine/box, etc from general road debris/crud, as well as help with aerodynamics and noise. If you look at a Mondeo you will see a mini flap in front of the front wheels, this is to divert wind away from the arches to reduce noise.

If it were me in your situation, in the short term I would leave as is, until I either repaired it by riveting/bonding on some new sectionsor found a cheap new tray, assuming it is the same as std Clio's and therefore available form a breakers.

Cheers H

b/g 182, meg tourer
yeah i think it will reduce noise by improving aerodynamics, but i wasn't too fussed about that bit. i was just wondering if the tray stops any crap getting on anything or shall i just take the plastic tray off? if its just there to stop oil drops like fletcher said, i will just remove it.

harveyg77- i know exactly what you mean. i saw the rabbit in my rear view mirror, so its definatly not rotting away anywhere on my car thank god :)
so glad it was just a rabbit and nothing bigger. caused enough damage!

BMW 320d SE
I did similar damge to the underside of my car when I hit a Pheasant.

I think that they plastic undertray you're refferring to is the bit between the bumper and the sump cover. This bit of undertray appears to deflect air entering the lower grill through the radiator and stop it going around the radiator.

I broke this part and went to Renault - don't worry though - it only cost £11 :)

Monaco Blue 172
just be greatful it wasnt a badger !!! £400 later......
hah! try £800! new condensor, reconditioned rad, etc

never did bother replacing the bumper and grill. hardly seems worth it when i could easily hit something else tmrw. in fact there was hardly any damage visible externally, which i suppose was a blessing... of sorts!

not an experience i'd wish to repeat, poor beast. rabbits are ten a penny, but badgers have it pretty tough all things considered! :dapprove:

anyway to give some more relevant info the wing liner cost £25 ish and deflector about £12 if those are the bits u've mashed...

ITB BG 182
Thank you lucky stars you only hit a bloody rabbit, i hit a sodding badger couple years back, you should have seen the blood an damage from that, then the mechanic that had it in the air an pulled a bit of the under tray down an flop rear end of the badger fell on the floor.

Renaultsport Clio V6
I hit a rabbit on the M1 early one morning when I had my 182. Cost £140 for a new splitter (Not fitted) b******s.

b/g 182, meg tourer
I did similar damge to the underside of my car when I hit a Pheasant.

I think that they plastic undertray you're refferring to is the bit between the bumper and the sump cover. This bit of undertray appears to deflect air entering the lower grill through the radiator and stop it going around the radiator.

I broke this part and went to Renault - don't worry though - it only cost £11 :)

yep, thats the bit im on about :) thanks very much for that info. £11 isn't too painfull. i will be getting a new one soon then

RenaultSport clio 183
I hit a poor little cat one morning, it went straight through the lower grille and out from panel on the underside. Not too much damage apart from the lower grille and 'sump cover'. What i did notice though was how flimsy the bottom of the front of the car was now there wasn't a panel connecting it to the sump. 2 weeks later, a pheasant took the whole front of the car out, bugger.