ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do you cup boys cope without...

A Beautiful R32
... ABS?

I regularly drive (sensibly) over country roads which are often covered in mud, every time I brake my ABS goes bonkers...

No wonder so many of you stack your cups...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
your going to quick for the conditions then :rolleyes:

abs wasn't common on cars untill the mid 90's how did we all cope......?!

if you need abs to drive, you shouldnt be on the road

cock mobile.
OMG, these threads are getting about as common as the CTR vs threads.

Gaz seems spot on on the subject to me.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If i'm honest i think my ABS comes on way to much, in my old corsa i didn't have abs and it was fine.

I felt my first bit of ABS 'kick back' today, after 7 years of driving, oh dear I must drive like a jessy.

Clio 172 mk2

Kind of sums it up really...we all must have been falling off the roads back in the 80s/early 90s without abs lol

J

JACKO CUP 172!

agree with you gaz. drivers aids are sometimes a bad idea!

Megane 225 Cup
Like the rest said, if you're kicking in the ABS, you may be going too quick and not reading the road properly.

However, if you insist that you are driving sensibly, try using three stage braking. Braking is more efficient and if you do it properly, it'll cut down on the amount of ABS usage.

BMW M3
I dont think it a case of driving too fast. My last car didnt have abs and hardly ever locked.

If find the abs in the 182 too intrusive... it comes on when braking over rough surfaces or as Davey said, any mud or cr&p on the road

Monaco Blue Mk2
I've got ABS and it's cut in once in nearly 2 years. That was when I had to slam on when a Merc pulled out on me about 4 days after I passed my test.

172 Cup
Been driving for 20 years now, owned cars from mini's to Lancia Delta Integrale (Fav car), and everything inbetween,and now a 172 Cup.

Never needed ABS yet, read the road and adjust your driving to suit the conditions.... simple;)

If the ABS is always coming on then you're driving like a penis. However, the Clio system is far too sensitive, and cuts in long before any decent level of slip.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've got ABS and it's cut in once in nearly 2 years. That was when I had to slam on when a Merc pulled out on me about 4 days after I passed my test.
You live in a town? I spend most my day driving on mud etc so mine is probably in use once a day.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Both my clio's .172+182 never had the abs used once
As said if its always coming on then you will crash soon

ian

... ABS?

I regularly drive (sensibly) over country roads which are often covered in mud, every time I brake my ABS goes bonkers...

You also miss one major point. The Clio ABS allows virtually zero tyre slip at all. So, where your ABS is hammering away, the non-ABS car would actually be digging in slightly and allowing some level of slip, which actually means better braking.

GO....!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
But i'm not :( can't say it comes on on "clean" roads at all.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon

Thats probably the quickest and most intuitive response i've seen to end ANOTHER one of these goddamn CUP vs ABS threads!

However today i was pretty much saved by ABS in an Impreza due to another driver acting like a complete numpty and pulling out on me having not looked BOTH directions pulling out of a lane (see Road Driving Stories).

So to summarise, if you have crashed your Cup or OTHER non ABS assisted car due to locking up and hitting the scenery/ another road user, you were either driving like a FLACID penis or you had someone pull out on you without warning

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Not having ABS is better for normal driving,
ABS is good for above situation, when you suddenly need to stop in a panicking way, simple as that.

BMW M3
Right.... to elaborate on my original point.

On rough surfaces or mud, its far too intrusive. Mine comes on all the time in this situation. Never once on a smooth road have i had it on..... and my last car didnt have it and only once from memory it locked.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
^^ what he said, but if i ever needed to brake in an emergency situation i'd be glad of it.

Right.... to elaborate on my original point.

On rough surfaces or mud, its far too intrusive. Mine comes on all the time in this situation. Never once on a smooth road have i had it on..... and my last car didnt have it and only once from memory it locked.

i agree.

show my car some gravel and the ABS goes bonkers. On smooth roads its fine.

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
Anyone know what EBA/EBD is? when i bought my car, in the advert it said ABS, EBA, EBD?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
lol you all obviously braking like girls, hehe, not even done some test emergency stops?

HBB

G81 M3 Touring & A35

Exactly!!!

They did a test in the Times a whiles back - turned off all driving aids in a car and got a selection of the population to try and drive it simulated hazards. The only one that could was the 17 yo just passed his test and never had a car with ABS etc. Conclusion was as soon as you start relying on computer you forget how to handle the car without. (obviously going to be exceptions that prove the rule before you all go mad)

I have never had a car with anything more than power stearing and find I'm faster than all my mates in controling the car if something untoward (i.e. locking up) happens and better able to deal with it. They, like most people who have had ABS for any lenght of time just tend to keep skidding and not do a lot to try and stop it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
... ABS?

You also miss one major point. The Clio ABS allows virtually zero tyre slip at all. So, where your ABS is hammering away, the non-ABS car would actually be digging in slightly and allowing some level of slip, which actually means better braking.

GO....!

I'm not biting this time Roy.. We've had our fun in the past. I'm going to sit this one out.

Enjoy!

Clio Cup
cups are just fun with nothing... rallyesk! hehe mr mark, in response to ur question. EBA/EBD is Electronic Brake Assist/Electronic Brake Distribution i think.

Mazda MX5 1.8
only time ive had abs come on is when there was a bit of a diesel spill on a round about entrance road (scared the crap outta me) and at the airfield (standing on the brakes lol)

oh and in the snow......