ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how good are clio 197s

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Good write up but I fail to see how this is possible. They are both the same, performance wise. Unless by "raping" you mean a baw hair?

They are the best looking Clios and have massive road presence! Mind you, they are quite large now.

Side by side against a 172 cup up to 130mph, I was about 10 car lenths ahead. Maybe not raped ;) but certainly faster :p

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
They all rave about the 182 trophy but my 197cup was far more planted & easier to drive on the limit.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I forgot about the brakes in the 197 which again are much better than a 1*2.

People on here are so defensive about their cars, I loved my 172 and my 182 they were good cars, but the 197 is an infinitely better car.. try one, you might find you like it !

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Oh they are, i loved my 197, but mate, its not ten car lengths faster!(unless i missed the joke?) I, like you have had a 172 Cup, 182, 197, now back to a Cup. There is no doubt that for everyday use the 197 is a better car.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I forgot about the brakes in the 197 which again are much better than a 1*2.

People on here are so defensive about their cars, I loved my 172 and my 182 they were good cars, but the 197 is an infinitely better car.. try one, you might find you like it !

Thankfully, opinions differ

R27 197s are f**kin' brilliant. Very thirsty...though never failed to bring a smile to my face when owned. Having owned both 182 and R27 and now Ibiza Bocanegra, I would much rather have the R27 than the 182. Both excellent cars, but the R27 was in a different league. It really depends what you are after. It running costs aren't an issue, get the 197 my friend ;)

Swift Sport
Whether the 197 is any good or not depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're after fuel ecconomy, cheap tax/insurance and fantastic build quality maybe you should consider a Golf diesel instead.

On the other hand, if you have shares in Shell, live with your parents, and sell enough drugs to fund trackdays and tyres then go for it. I've just clocked up trackday number 10 in mine and it still loves me, it also loves embarrasing faster motors.

N/A FTW.

Swift Sport
4527071142_e7f3d0f0f0_b.jpg

4528872754_1cf465c15e.jpg

...So cool I got black-flagged lol

4561270048_db3c3f9011.jpg

Cayman S Edition 1
Owned 197, 225, 182 Trophy and the T is more exciting everytime. The 197 was remapped and lowered in eibachs, but never made me smile like the T does.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Bunch of gaylords. Seems CS is now inhabited by fags that need it to be easy going quick. I like that if you're eager you can spin mine with ease;).

The 172/182 is certainly entertaining on track. Mine felt like it would fall over at every corner, and blow up at every gear change but, it was bloody quick. Super awesome, really.

Sooner or later everyone moves on, BB. Otherwise we'd all be driving around in a MKI Golf GTi bleating on about how VW invented the hot hatch even though they didn't.

Surely a Williams would be more involving than your 172, but you don't drive one because they're rusty sheds. No?

Swift Sport
One of the chosen few I'm sure. I could tell you what I do in my Clio but I'd probably get perma-banned lol.

LY 200
197/200 takes the piss out of any previous performance Renaults, FACT!

I owned a valver (which became Willy hybrid) for 2 years and then 182 for four years and the only thing better about either one of those cars was the paintwork on the latter - 197/200's may be level performance wise as the 1*2 was with the previous performance Renaults (yet people still bought the newer cars) but in every other department the 197/200's are massive improvements.

Ph 1 172
Williams
Valver

In that order.

End.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
197/200 takes the piss out of any previous performance Renaults, FACT!

I owned a valver (which became Willy hybrid) for 2 years and then 182 for four years and the only thing better about either one of those cars was the paintwork on the latter - 197/200's may be level performance wise as the 1*2 was with the previous performance Renaults (yet people still bought the newer cars) but in every other department the 197/200's are massive improvements.

Ph 1 172
Williams
Valver

In that order.

End.

People have different opinions/views on whats the best.

Personally i enjoyed my phase 1 172 more than my current 182 as it felt quicker/rawer etc

Others that have made the same move will no doubt dissagree in some respects, (not you) but i love the flame baiting people do on here to provoke response/take the bait as it were, i myself used to get sucked in but why bother, total b****cks tbf! :eek:

Was a 197
U can have the same arguments about the Golf GTi, how that has evolved over the last 30 years.

It's just evolution, i'd go and test drive one, make sure you take it all way up the rev range to get the full feel and chuck it around a bit as it is design to be given sum abuse.

Had mine a year now and ok i dont drive like a 'hero' and its the first quick car i've ever had, but it always puts a smile on my face when u go for a 'b' road blast.

Also the 1*2's in their various forms must have been something special for the 197/200 to be the best pound per bhp car u can buy out there, like i said evolution.