ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long do Clios live

Ph2 Flamer
Just curious. My ph2 172 is on 95k (bought it at about 78k and did belts, aircon delete and v6 induction almost immediately at JMS).

Love driving it, still pulls well, epic fun to drive (pms strut brace and solid top mount and rear arb) but have been thinking about a new car, spent weeks researching S3's, R32's etc but all seem too grown up and ended up really fancying a mint 182 lol.

But then I've been thinking I love the flamer and why not just spend a couple of grand on making it a bit faster and getting the little niggles like the minor bodywork issues sorted, whack a 182 exhaust on it (maybe do something like the 519 Automotive 438 cams deal (cams, ported manifold and remap along with belts etc). But if I do that, even though it seems in good working order now is it going to explode or suffer massive everything failure at 115k miles or do these cars go and go if kept well?

Basically at 95k am i better to chop it in for a nice low milage 182 or, for the sake of a few years till sprogs force a family car spend perhaps half of what a nice 182 would cost on making it really smart and quick. I know if the engine did give up or something it's not much to drop a good used one in but I think if the engine or gear box gave up i'd probably not bother. You see the odd 120,000 miler up for sale, but how much longer do they keep going? Should probably say - its a daily driver, b road fun but not a track toy or anything.

Ph2 Flamer
Awesome cheers boys I'm keeping her then. Don't do much over 10k a year so that's ages

Ph2 Flamer
Not after a change as such. but have always had a hankering for a 182 but mainly for the twin exhausts and you can do that easily enough on a 172 so its not a reason to change the car. But do fancy just a touch more performance hence thinking about ported manifold, cams and a remap. keep the car feeling fresh etc.

Passat
I swapped my 80k 172 for a 50k Trophy. Both great cars but as much as I love the Trophy, I regret selling my perfectly good 172 for £1700. Please, please, please do not put a 182 exhaust on your flamer. Clearly it's your choice...but I became infatuated by the 182 exhaust when I had my 172. Now I've got a twin exhaust, I f**king love how subtle a 172 is. And a flamer mate, you have the best car of the RS range in my opinion (nobody else's maybe).

​Keep it!

Ph2 Flamer
Cheers dude it is an awesome colour :eek:) esp when its clean. Why so against the 182 exhaust? Sadly i inherited a powerflow piece of junk with the car and the next job is to replace it. Got one bumper cut out so perhaps not as subtle as it should be so a big part of me things a nice looking twin would be better than the stupid pos i have currently. Not fussed on buying a new bumper just to have a stealth. Probably wrong but to me if you have a rusty metro the exhaust should be hidden, if you have an exhaust that costs 400 quid it should stick out the back, not pretend there isn;t one....

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Whack some anthracite turinis on and do the 182 exhaust conversion, definitely worth it, im with you on the whole 182 exhaust looks better! Saw a flamer with anthracite turinis on, looked epic (didn't have 182 exhaust though!). At the end of the day its upto you what to do.

Ph2 Flamer
I change my mind daily about turinis. Think they look amazing, then meh, then amazing. Think the boggo 172 wheels, when mint really suit the car. Plus i would ruin a set of turinis in a week with my, got to be tight to the curb obsession

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Id forget the 182 exhaust tbh its far to much chew for what it's worth, you will need to cut out the boot floor and replace it with a 182 flat floor. I personally prefer the look of a nice single rolled out tip anyway.

Passat
I change my mind daily about turinis. Think they look amazing, then meh, then amazing. Think the boggo 172 wheels, when mint really suit the car. Plus i would ruin a set of turinis in a week with my, got to be tight to the curb obsession

Stick with your original wheels, they look perfect (I imagine).

If your bumpers already been cut then fair play. I'd get a 182 style exhaust.

​The way you toss and turn over Turinis, that's how I feel over Flamers and Monacos. Easily the best RS colours...but I change my mind every week as to which is better.

Ph2 Flamer
ouch really? I thought ktec did one you just slung under the car. Not chopping bits of the car off...

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Ah fair enough, I stand corrected. Never really liked the 182 dual pipes so can't say i've researched it, im strictly a 172 fanboy lol.

Ph2 Flamer
Stick with your original wheels, they look perfect (I imagine).

If your bumpers already been cut then fair play. I'd get a 182 style exhaust.

​The way you toss and turn over Turinis, that's how I feel over Flamers and Monacos. Easily the best RS colours...but I change my mind every week as to which is better.

Cool reckon i'll give it a serious look. Prospeed are just down the rd in Cardiff and from the work he's done keeping the existing exhaust going I owe Charlie the work I reckon so will see what he thinks.
My wheels looks like complete s**t lol. Curbed to f**k and back by me as well. Cheaper to buy a new set than get them refurbed as well i think, the state they are in.

Ph2 Flamer
Cheers matey, i was thinking about doing it myself - doing the spare then just a wheel at a time etc. May well give that a go

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
See what you mean about turinis, obviously its down to opinion, but i really think it looks superb on flame red (similar-ish overall look to trophy) as in red on anthracite. Also pretty sure K-tec 182 exhaust can be done pretty cheaply with cut outs on 172 bumper, but would you need a new bumper if you've already cut out a 172 exhaust hole?

Listerine & Poledo
Clios last right up until some charver gets their mitts on it and pours all their money into wel sik modzzzzz instead of decent servicing.

Or it gets barrel-rolled through a hedge as said charvers ambition greatly surpasses the level of available adhesion

Ph2 Flamer
Ooo I hadn't considered ploughing it into a hedge! That would be top fun. Claim on the insurance and buy a sporty Nova instead.