ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how long do you leave your..

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Get in, start motor, bum warmers on, pant and curse at how cold it is the for first 5mins and then i'm all good!

Golf GTD Mk7
leave my 106 for ages, but she's a beast, so will be fine. Clio wise I just give it a minute, even in nice weather, then drive. I knew a mechanic who used to be on here that always "warmed the rods" before driving anywhere.
Not sure why all you guys scrape the ice off. Luke warm water (and no it won't crack the windows) and you're done in second.

Golf GTD Mk7
Is this the same when it comes to cooling down then? On track, I tend to do a cool down lap, go into the garage and leave it running for a bit.

Nothing at the mo :(
Pour warm water on windows if its icy.. inside doesnt steam up so i can leave straight away! so about 10 secs befor ei set of

R26
I know lol, amazed how many people scrape windows instead 1 second of pouring water, only thing is, i have loads of frozen water on my driveway now :(

Golf GTD Mk7
just scrap it off mate, and buy some silica packs to remove the moisture in the car. Once warm get the heaters on full with the windows open to remove the bulk of the moisture. Just don't leave your car door open too much as it will draw in the cold/damp.

F

fletcha172

back to the original subject just get in it and drive as its just as important to warm the gear box oil as well, a friend of mine warmed the engine up and thought it was ok to thrash his subaru bye bye gearbox.

keo

Clio Trophy
Slighty off topic but does anyone know how long the choke stays on, on a 182? What temperature does the engine need to be for the choke to knock off, as i would imagine the choke would stay on longer the colder it is. It just seams my 182 is realy poor on fuel latley down to 24mpg on the trip, i have put this down to cold weather, being on choke and i only realy do short journeys to and from work, 3-4 miles so car never gets warm. Plus ticking over for a short time while i clear the ice off the screen (Getting back on topic :))

keo

Clio Trophy
Well not a choke as in a carb obviously, but more fuel will be injected when the engine is cold so i wondered how long extra fuel is put into my 2.0l injected clio :approve:

172 Rally Car
Well i cover the screen! so remove said cover then jump in drive off! keep the revs under 3k until i get some temp!

182 cup
In cold conditions the lump uses more fuel then normally, you can't escape it! On my early shift I start her up at 5:30 and within 2 mins I'm on the motorway, at the speed limit of course :cool:

ITB'd MK1
Slighty off topic but does anyone know how long the choke stays on, on a 182? What temperature does the engine need to be for the choke to knock off, as i would imagine the choke would stay on longer the colder it is. It just seams my 182 is realy poor on fuel latley down to 24mpg on the trip, i have put this down to cold weather, being on choke and i only realy do short journeys to and from work, 3-4 miles so car never gets warm. Plus ticking over for a short time while i clear the ice off the screen (Getting back on topic :))

doesn't sound like it's getting fully up to temperature to me. 3-4 miles wont be enough driving to warm the engine fully with the outside temperatures being so cold. My coolant was at -11 yesterday when i first started the engine, that takes a fair bit of energy to warm up.

Iceberg 172
I used to have engine remote start on one of my cars so I used to start it up when I got out the shower in the morning, 20 mins later I'd jump into a nice warm car! Then I heard it was bad to do this as the engine likes to warm up from being driven.

So I now start it up, clear windows and drive off... keeping it below 3000rpm until the coolant temp is sitting in the middle but I rarely get to anything over 4000rpm on my way to work anyway!

I wouldn't mind puting an oil pressure and oil temp gauge into the car (valver esq!) as they really are worth it imo, but it'd have to look OEM not fighter jet style A pillar pod! lol.