ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long do your tyres last?

Did a quick search on the answer to this and I seem to be coming up below average, so I thought I'd make a thread.
Went for my MOT today and I was surprised to hear I'd failed on (both) the front tyres.
It would seem I've killed a pair of Continental Sport Contact 3s in just over 6500 miles - I thought they were fine but they won't let 'em through!
I spoke to my local dealer and am getting a fresh pair on there early tomorrow for a retest. I've also just refreshed my suspension set up and hadn't had the car aligned yet (which I'm also getting done tomorrow) so could that have contributed to the demise of my tyres?
I do like to chuck it into corners and I do like the sound the pedal on the right makes (don't we all?) but I don't hoon around everywhere. On my daily drives I keep it on the limit.

I'll swap the wheels round as well tomorrow so I'll start eating into the rears for a bit.

This is my first RS and wasn't expecting to piss through rubber quite so quickly!

Clio 172 phase 1
Mines killed falken zex914s in less than 5k .....even wear and all they just didn't last ..... When booted it just chews the tread off then

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
They do like to eat through the fronts, really need to swap my rears over to the front.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
My last set of fronts saw nearly 10k and they were semi slicks.

The pzeros before that on the front saw just shy of 14k.

That was running -1.5 camber and they were both given proper abuse on a daily basis.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I've not been chasing my 200 & fronts seems to last between 10-12K max. Not tooooo bad

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
With my current PS3's

Had two brand new ones put on the back - did 6k miles
switched them now to the front and have done a further 3k miles.

So a total of 9k miles and they have 5mm of tread left.

My new rears have done 3k and have 7mm left.

S4 Avant
Paradas used to last 7-8000 in the Clio.

Potenza RE070s have lasted 9000 on the Audi.

pirelli p6000 have lasted 15000+

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Have the tyres worn evenly across so the whole tyre is low on tread or is there a section of the tyre which is making them illegal?

Sorry but you must drive like a dick to kill a set on the road in 6500miles...

See I thought that at first but on my daily drive I keep to the limits and don't hoon everywhere. I can't afford to hoon everywhere anyway. Maybe once a month I'd go to Brecon or the Black Mountain but since the weather has gotten worse I don't bother and probably won't till the spring.
It's currently at the garage now anyway getting the alignment sorted and re-MOT'd.

The ones on the rear looks brand new so I'll start swapping them round every 2-3k.

Have the tyres worn evenly across so the whole tyre is low on tread or is there a section of the tyre which is making them illegal?

They're worn on the outer edges. The inside tread looked alright to me (but what do I know) but when I compared them to the rear you can't miss the difference. No matter, they've been changed now as it's not like I had a choice.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Ha outer edges and running contis, theres a shocker. Contis always seem to wear way on the outer edge.

Done on my mams ford ka and my girlfriends dads Audi A4. Middle of tread still had around 3mm but outer edges were shot.

S4 Avant
Ha outer edges and running contis, theres a shocker. Contis always seem to wear way on the outer edge.

Done on my mams ford ka and my girlfriends dads Audi A4. Middle of tread still had around 3mm but outer edges were shot.

Not enough pressure in them then. Next set, but another 3-5 psi in them.

I always add an extra PSI or two but I'll add a few more this time around.
I always read the Contis were good all-rounders, but could you guys recommend something else? I'd quite like them to last at least 10k this time. :rasp:

Just got off the phone with the garage and the car has an MOT now anyway. :)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I always add an extra PSI or two but I'll add a few more this time around.
I always read the Contis were good all-rounders, but could you guys recommend something else? I'd quite like them to last at least 10k this time. :rasp:

Just got off the phone with the garage and the car has an MOT now anyway. :)

They are a decent gripping tyre overall, its just they don't seem to last long.

For future reference when you need tyres again look at Pirelli Pzero nero, Michelin PS3, Vredesteins, Kumho KU31s etc.

Pirellis were my favourite overall for grip/wear rate. Nearly 14k, 16 1/4 drag day runs and some right abuse on the roads. They were epic.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I've got Vredestein Ultrac Vorties on my Focus just now. Think I've done about 9k on them and I reckon I could go at least another 6k. Great grip as well. IMO anyway.

basketballjoe3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Have had Michelin Pilot Exaltos last 20k plus from when I originally bought the car at 11k miles in 2008 until when I changed all four tyres at c35k miles and tread left on all four was 4-5mm (2010). Changed all four tyres again at about 65k miles (last year) so got 30k miles out of the second set of four. I routinely swap front to back every 5k miles or so, the car covers hundreds of miles at a time mainly on motorways as I live in Suffolk and the in laws are in Plymouth. I would hate to have had to change them even every 10k miles, all depends how you drive I suppose.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I've got to say contrary to what's been put on here, I've always found PZero's pretty noisey & that they haven't worn any better. Only my experiences ofcourse.

basketballjoe3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Definitely, with roughly 10k miles of motorway per year driven after 7pm so not much stop-start needed... that leaves me with about 5k miles of 'fun' driving per year so on that basis I guess it's average tyre wear. Or roughly 10k miles per set of tyres if you assume a tyre change every two years, which probably verges on the mean. Just because you have a fun/quick car doesn't mean you have to use all the fun all the time... if I had, I'd defintely be poorer, both in terms of fuel and tyres.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Conti Sport 3s on my 330 lasted about 14k. All 4 worn on the inners due to standard camber. I'm trying Goodyear Asymmetric 2s now.

On my 172, Eagle F1's lasted 6k on the front but I was young and drove like an idiot at the time. PE2s lasted much better, barely saw any wear in 3k miles before I sold them.

Clio
Did a quick search on the answer to this and I seem to be coming up below average, so I thought I'd make a thread.
Went for my MOT today and I was surprised to hear I'd failed on (both) the front tyres.
It would seem I've killed a pair of Continental Sport Contact 3s in just over 6500 miles - I thought they were fine but they won't let 'em through!
I spoke to my local dealer and am getting a fresh pair on there early tomorrow for a retest. I've also just refreshed my suspension set up and hadn't had the car aligned yet (which I'm also getting done tomorrow) so could that have contributed to the demise of my tyres?
I do like to chuck it into corners and I do like the sound the pedal on the right makes (don't we all?) but I don't hoon around everywhere. On my daily drives I keep it on the limit.

I'll swap the wheels round as well tomorrow so I'll start eating into the rears for a bit.

This is my first RS and wasn't expecting to piss through rubber quite so quickly!

Fcuk me, i would be going through a set every 3 months at that rate!

If anything this thread has been useful for giving me other tyre options. Can always count on you lot to deliver. :)

I have no issue dropping around £300 on fresh rubber, in fact I'd expect it with this type of car, but not that often and not with my driving. Car has been aligned and got some new track rod ends on there now too while on the job so I'll see how this set goes. Guy in my local garage said the front was off a fair bit (he didn't give specifics and I didn't have time to hang about) but if I keep rotating them I'll see if I can make them last till the next MOT!

PH2 Flamer
My last set of Conti's did around 7k before getting close to the markers. Probably had a little longer left.

Outside edges were worn in half that time though, so had to swap them about.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Got 40K out of a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto when they came with the car from new (mainly motorway so not stressed around the doors or ragged).
Buy "proper" tyres rather than go fast ones, it's all in the compound used for the tyre. Soft sticky shoes wear in the shortest mileage.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
The rears on my beemer lasted 8k, they were falken 453's, a very good tyre imo.

Front tyres on my clio would last a 6k maybe.