ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how many subs

stripped my rt of stereo before i sold it. Got a rockford 12" suba and a 4 channel amp. uprated all 6 speakers, but never sounded really special. Now got a clio 16v and want to uprate the stereo. Accquired an alpine v12 4 channel amp off a mate, its the b****cks! definately goona have enough power for anything. Any ideas on a setup? Was wondering if it was worth getting 2 subs, or just havin 1 quality sub and then uprating all the speakers. Thinkin that 2 subs might make the boot and back bumper rattle too much sounding crap from the outside! Possible set up: 2 JL w3 12" subs ran by the apline v12, then use my other amp to run 2 quality 6 by 9s and 2 front speakers. What do u reckon??

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

So essentially you have two four-channel amps. Do you like music with really deep long bass like Hip Hop or do you listen to faster paced stuff with a quicker bass line. If you want deep bass then go for the W3 12 otherwise you could try dropping to a couple of W3 10 in subs cos they do just about everything brilliantly.

How much power does your other amp have?? Could be worth bridging it to two channels and running some really good components up front, possibly with an adapter to go up to 17cm from the standard 13cm. My mates justs got some Focal components and they really do justify the £200 price tag.

Rick

It all depends on which amps they are. Do you have the model numbers handy?

Even with 1 decent sub with enough power going to it will make the panels vibrate. You can fit some sound deadening to help sort out that problem.

If you are after an impressive system from a couple of 4 channel amps then normally you would have to go for 2 subs on the most powerful amp and then a set of components and possibly some rear speakers amped up on the other one.

Definately dont go for 6x9s or any other speakers in the parcel shelf. The air movement from the subs will make them distort. If you are having rear speakers then you could either build them into the rear quarters or use the existing speaker holes.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

That alpine v12 and a couple of JL W3s will sound wicked !! As people have said dont get 6x9s on the shelf coz they will sound sh*te !

I was using a 12" w3 run of a two channel amp that was bridged and that sounded very good, so two will sound awesome. Im now using a JL W6 V2 run off a JL 500/1 amp and it sounds wicked already and it aint run in yet !!

Use a four channel amp to run front and rear speakers !! Could be worth moving the rear speakers up to the front !! I roughly tried this the other day and it does sound wicked !! Thanks for that tip Colin S.

The Alpine is a v12 mrv f407 (4 x 120 w or 2 x320 w) and the other is a crossfire american thing (4 x 100 w). I have lots of good wiring. If i just get some nifty components in the front and a couple of tweeters as well as 2 subs, will that not be too much bass and not enought treble?? i listen mainly to hip hop but also like a bit of dance now and again. Dont want the bass to drown out the singing! if i got a stealth parcel shelf would that not counteract the vibrations from the subs?

i have a v12 amp and am currently running 2 10" alpine SWR, its the bolloxi found if the subs are mounted properly, sealed and secured to the boot, the only other sounds a get is when i turn the sub to max, but then its almost impossible to drive. also 2 infinity 6x9 in my doors, replaced original speskers with infinity and 2x 13 cm infinity speekers in the back. my whole system inc. alpine cd player cost just £600, and i built and installed it all myself, saving me even more money which is going on a couple of moniters to link up to my PS2.

You could do with having a bigger amp to power the W3s really as power wise they are rated far less than they will actually take. If you cant change the amp then i would use the V12 to power the sub/s and the crossfire to power the rest of the system.

I think you would get away with 1 sub if you had more power but as it is with that particular amp you would probably need 2 to get the amount of bass that youll be happy with.

Russ