ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How quick is a clio williams?

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
had one on my ass comming off a r.bout at 20mph in my stock 172. over about a 1/3 mile i had drawn about 6 car leangths ahead. (stright road tho)

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
You sure those wernt valvers? Ive nevr had a problem with 172's in my valver, always pull away from them especially from a standing start!

well cant be 100% sure as did only see it from the sides (quickly) and the front in my RVM but looked like a willy but it could have been a good 16v rep.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
In the right hands on the right road they are lightning , they are not built for straight line speed! still 130 odd mph is quick enough , williams should be left standard as they are a classic clio IMHO

Black-Gold 182
What I had along side me LOOKED like a willy - gold wheels, blue paint, "williams" badge on the back. As said above, could have been a reproduction, but who knows.

S2000
It depends on the individual williams tbh. I've got a williams engine in my hybrid and with just an induction kit and exhaust its been rolling roaded at 172 and 174 bhp. Others turn out to be bang on 150bhp (standard power) and so are a fair bit slower. The truth is some williams are quicker than a 172/182 and vice versa, but almost without fail anyone who has driven both says that the williams is a better/much more fun car to drive regardless of straight line speed.

williams 2
they are just as tuneable if not better for power per pound than a 172! ive seen 7-8 hp from an exhaust on my williams. Now with the itb's, cams and head work it will be super rapid!! around 225 im expecting and iwth hardly any weight :evil:....

get one and spend the extra on cams and remap and piss on them sport owners :rasp:

God I love these narrow minded elitist views from deluded 172/182 owners. Few key points to consider. Standard 1*2's rarely make quoted power, whereas standard well kept Williams usually make above quoted power (mine made 156bhp with an open IK on the same day 172's and 182's were making around the same to about 170ish TOPS). Then their's the weight, the Williams ways a fair bit less.
My old Williams standard is quicker than my missus' old Ph1 172, it also totally and utterly raped a 182 off here 2 up, with 4 wheels and tyres in the back and luggage :)
Mine was one of the quickest ones, but then it was well maintained at no expense spared... but on the flip side I've had plays with some absolute dogs that even valvers would have the edge on below 100mph. Problem is they are old, so finding a decent one to have a comparison against is difficult. Come up North and have a play with some of the decent Williams and you'll soon be a believer.

VaVa
God I love these narrow minded elitist views from deluded 172/182 owners. Few key points to consider. Standard 1*2's rarely make quoted power, whereas standard well kept Williams usually make above quoted power (mine made 156bhp with an open IK on the same day 172's and 182's were making around the same to about 170ish TOPS). Then their's the weight, the Williams ways a fair bit less.
My old Williams standard is quicker than my missus' old Ph1 172, it also totally and utterly raped a 182 off here 2 up, with 4 wheels and tyres in the back and luggage :)
Mine was one of the quickest ones, but then it was well maintained at no expense spared... but on the flip side I've had plays with some absolute dogs that even valvers would have the edge on below 100mph. Problem is they are old, so finding a decent one to have a comparison against is difficult. Come up North and have a play with some of the decent Williams and you'll soon be a believer.

Mr Ambiguous lol.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are a few genuinely quick Clio Williams. The rest are as you'd expect, around about 172 pace or slower. The exception is not the rule!!!!!!

Last edited:
  VaVa
PMSL! I couldn't resist. You'd think after all this time I'd get bored baiting them wouldn't you? lol

Cue 40 pages of drivel from Jesus and 9Lives lol

53 Clio's & counting
ha lol

to be fair iv had a valver,a hybrid and now my 172 and my ten pence is the 172 is alot easier to drive,and day to day i prefere the 172,the 16v was great fun,but had to get it over 4500 to get anywhere,the hybrid was a bloody rocket,with breathing mods and no interior i ran 14.1 q/m a fair few times,and would do 45mpg all day if driven slow,but you cant drive it slow lol

CB600FS
Problem is they are old, so finding a decent one to have a comparison against is difficult. Come up North and have a play with some of the decent Williams and you'll soon be a believer.

Thats a big deciding factor now aswell, all the Williams Clio boys think 120k is low mileage. Hard to find one that is totally standard, looked after with no rust.

Every time I see a Williams go round a track and seeing how well they stick to the road like s**t to a blanket I want one. They make Cups handling look something rotten ;)

PMSL! I couldn't resist. You'd think after all this time I'd get bored baiting them wouldn't you? lol

Mk1 vs Mk2 day... who won? nuff said. Thank you please ;)

Williams is faster, I've owned one, had access to 172's and 182's stock and tuned. My Williams was quicker than Donny's off here as we used to have numerous plays and that's a rare 172 engine that actually makes 172bhp. Ask Boz what happened when he tried to take on the mighty Williams. Once again, couldn't compete against an 11 year old (at the time) car that was 2 up with a boot full of camping gear and 4 wheels with tyres.

Peak power 1*2's make more of, but then they also run far wilder cams and need the VVT to idle smoothly. Even then the Williams makes a better spread of power. Dispute it all you want girls, technology just never moved on, it went backwards if anything. I may replace the F4R for an F7R in mine ;)

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup

Williams is faster, I've owned one, had access to 172's and 182's stock and tuned. My Williams was quicker than Donny's off here as we used to have numerous plays and that's a rare 172 engine that actually makes 172bhp. Ask Boz what happened when he tried to take on the mighty Williams. Once again, couldn't compete against an 11 year old (at the time) car that was 2 up with a boot full of camping gear and 4 wheels with tyres.

Peak power 1*2's make more of, but then they also run far wilder cams and need the VVT to idle smoothly. Even then the Williams makes a better spread of power. Dispute it all you want girls, technology just never moved on, it went backwards if anything. I may replace the F4R for an F7R in mine ;)

behav dude, thought u had sum big plans for ur TB`d 1 lol :eek:

I do mate, I'm only pissing around, but it's true, the F7R is actually a better engine than our 172/182 blocks. Andy's said this for years, which I know some of the c**k suckers on here wont pay any attention to, but BenR said the same and I know a lot like to swing of his sack so therefore it must be true! lol

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
so many haters on this forum, u don`t own a company for 8 years if ya s**t at ur job imo!

so many haters on this forum, u don`t own a company for 8 years if ya s**t at ur job imo!

well it's Clio Sport fella. Go on Renaultsport forums and it's totally different. Too many punks trying to look good in the eyes of other geeks on here and playing to the crowd to gain acceptance, its basically like a school or zoo. I've used a couple of the tuning companies on here and seen how they operate at the front and behind the scenes and the things I know would amaze people. I'm good at finding things out and cutting through the bullshit, hence the reason people love me lol

a.e

GT3 RS, Caterham Duratec.
A good driver makes the difference.

A "good" Williams will EASILY keep up with a 172/182.

Plus is a 172 or 182 a ICONIC hot hatch like the Williams.

Nope.

Andrew

williams and trophy
http://youtube.com/user/Physcotropic

few vids on there will show you how quick a williams is. check out jesus' old un against the elise round donny. lol ;)

a well tuned one will be hitting 60 in mid 5s...i s**t you not. thats just cams/remap btw. with the bodies on i dare say its a bit quicker if you can get the grip .

chipped williams evrything else underbonnet std.vs supposedly the quickest mk1 about

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/febe0105-6674-4218-b3a1-983101671418.htm

btw.was a shitload quicker with the cams ;)

if you run a search for 'clio williams' on www.streetfire.net theres a few vids on there too.

wouldnt bother with the 182 tbh, either valver hybrid/williams, or 197 i would say are a lot better in terms of fun/track speed

williams and trophy

Cue 40 pages of drivel from Jesus and 9Lives lol[/QUOTE

i have a boggo std willy 1, and a slightly tuned willy 1, std one needs a little work for mot, but when done your welcome to come and get your ass handed to you by either of em. may also have hybrided the valver by then too so thatd be 3 cars able to hand you your arse no problem.

baiting?? lol....

traps been laid many years ago by the williams.and its trapped n killed most 172/182 versions in its time...;)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
As has been said there are good un's and not so good un's of both williams and 1*2's....get on the wrong end of a good wiliams and you'll need more than 182 bhp in a mk2.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Although Jon, There was verry little in it...plus, mine was standard...and yours had been played with!!! ;) :quiet:

She's still doing alright with 175.3Bhp with just panel filter and replacement exhaust!!! I do think my Cup was quick out of the box