ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to check suspension coils for wear?

Clio Campus Sport
After a knocking noise I replaced top mount bearings and realised my suspension struts are both blown on the front, planning to replace them asap, how can I tell if the coil springs need replacing?
Is it as simple as checking for corrosion or damage?
When I did the mount bearings I noticed one coil was easy to compress and reassemble and on the other the compressors had to be wound in to the max and we still struggled to get it all back together straight, unfortunately did one side one day and the other the next so didn't compare them side by side and didn't release them from the compressors to inspect them.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Any ideas how old they are? Might be an excuse to buy some better then standard springs (eibach pro's) or some lowering springs.

Clio Campus Sport
I've had the car nearly four years and racked up nearly 40000 miles.
This is the longest I've owned a car so never really had to consider the suspension lol
I know a back spring had an advisory for corrosion on last mot so I'm plAnning on replacing both back ones. Unfortunately money is an issue or I would be just replacing the lot. And upgrading ;)

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
It often works out the same/cheaper for a full set of lowering springs than a set of oe. If it needs rears I'd just get a full set.

Clio Campus Sport
Costing it up atm. Cheapest springs I can get are 20.99 each for rear and 17.99 front.
They are all anschler so I assume cheap cheap range. That's euro car parts. Plan to use one of the money off codes to get it all cheaper too.
With lowering springs will have have to get different shocks?
Again got prices for anschler shocks
For fronts
52ml 48.49 each
58ml 53.99 each
The filament detail shows one as bore size 52ml and one at 58ml, what is this in reference to? Length of strut?
Rears are 35.99 each.
Money is really tight but I would like to get better quality ones that last as I do alot of miles and would like this car to last lol

Clio Campus Sport
I don't understand what that's in reference to. The 54 or 60 what is that, the measurement of the strut? Is that for lowering springs or regular springs.
And what from Renault for 160, just a set of springs? Just a set of shocks? Both?

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
The 54/60 is the bolt spacing on the shock.

If you use lowering spring such as eibach or H&R you won't need to change shocks, standard will be fine. Although if they are worn changing refreshing them, will make a big difference.

Clio Campus Sport
Lol thanks now you've cleared that up it seems so obvious!
Will check out lowering springs and cost it up

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah sorry

The 54 or 60mm is the bolt spacing on the shocks.

New above for a set of four is about 160 delivered. Second hand good conditioned eibachs or h@r are about 100.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Wait is this a campus sport, not an RS? If so the bolt spacing you stated is probably correct.

Clio Campus Sport
Yes campus sport.
I think it's the 58mm ones, every time there has been two options on parts, it's been the more expensive one every time!!
Got it down to £125 for the 4 shocks.