ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to remove full wiper arms?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Need to get the wipers off, complete as I need to get under the scuttle panel....obviously I've removed the nuts etc, but do I just need to pull hard to get them off?

Any damage to be caused?

just 3 m10 bolts holding the wiper mech in place mate....simple job once stripped down- no damage caused:)

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
they are a pain the ass to sort

removal tool do nothing

just tug and tug - lift the wiper arm up and keep pulling

they will come off in time

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
offers of help will be greated with bacon cobs.....

they are a pain the ass to sort

removal tool do nothing

just tug and tug - lift the wiper arm up and keep pulling

they will come off in time

so a pulling tool does nothing, yet you tugging/pulling at it does?

lol

A ANIMAL
i used a set of mole grips - placed one side on the top of the bolt the other on the wiper bit and snapped the grips shut. Worked a treat. Tough little feckers though!!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Info: punching wipers doesnt help to remove them.

T5PHY, cheers mate I'll give it a go.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
i used a set of mole grips - placed one side on the top of the bolt the other on the wiper bit and snapped the grips shut. Worked a treat. Tough little feckers though!!

Cheers dude, just smashed my windscreen doing that haha!!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Yep, at the windscreen place having a new one done, 75 quid excess, gutted!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Didn't have molegrips so tried to lever them with a hammer, slipped and smashed the corner or the screen!

Oops, live and learn!

with a sturn pull mate they will come off....ive ever had one where i acctually snapped the metal wiper arm!!!:eek:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Need to get the wipers off, complete as I need to get under the scuttle panel....obviously I've removed the nuts etc, but do I just need to pull hard to get them off?

Any damage to be caused?

Yes, you might smash the windscreen being a t**t trying to lever them off with a claw hammer.

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
lol, get a pulling tool, not expensive and comes off easy with it. i tried and tried cos i couldn't be bothered to search the garage for one, when i finally did, came off with a few turns. always get the right tools, amount i've broken cutting corners!

275 Trophy
By tightening the nut, you will push them back on the shaft. They will be in the wrong place on the screen though, so you'll be taking them off again. (tape the position on the sceen before doing anything)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Ok so mask the position on the window, remove and do whatever needs done, them screw them back down as normal in the right position? :)

275 Trophy
Yeah that's the way. When you put the arm back on the shaft there will be enough thread for you to be able to get the nut on and screw it down onto the arm.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Happy days - just making sure I'd be doing it right before I go and leave the car with no wipers.

F*ck knows, we might need them for summer in Ireland lol :rolleyes:

koi

Audi S1
Didn't have molegrips so tried to lever them with a hammer, slipped and smashed the corner or the screen!

Oops, live and learn!

I tried with a hammer too, ending up slipping and smacking me in the face! Where's the best place to get these 'pullers'?

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I'll be doing this on Saturday using Molegrips. I'll let you know how it gets on.

Molegrips are essential in any toolset tbh.

DCI 80
I had this problem recently changing the washer motor, Its just a lot of hard work and elbow grease needed.
Remove nuts on wiper arms, lift the arms so they are in a vertical position dont rock the from one side to another just pull up on them and give them a wiggle every now and again it took me 3 hours!! DONT use a hammer as i slightly crushed about 3mm of my windscreen at the bottom under the scuttle panel and what do you know 1 month later giant crack traveling up my windscreen! I had soaked the splines and surrounding area with a rag wrapped around covered in WD40 and left overnight. Its hard work but they will come off without a tool. Make sure you do tape the position before though as you dont want to have to go through it all again!!!

elbow grease is all thats needed and its great when they give and come off!

I really recommend getting a puller. I got one from eBay for when I changed my washer pump, it made life so much easier. As people have said if you try and cut corners you may well make it worse eg smashing your windscreen.

Titanium 182
LOL I smashed my windscreen the first time I tried to get them off too. Was fuming !

If you've got a mallet what I did was tap the top of it and that seemed to help loosen them a bit. Did my head in though took ages to get them off. :(

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Literally took me 3 minutes to pop mine off. I was expecting a really tricky job after what I'd heard. Wasn't at all.

Wahaha I tried this with a claw hammer and thought surely this isn't a good idea putting so much pressure on the glass.

Soaked it in WD40 for several nights, then used windscreen wiper removal tool...........which didn't work.

So took it to a garage.

The driver side on came of with a tug. the passenger one was the issue

koi

Audi S1
Wahaha I tried this with a claw hammer and thought surely this isn't a good idea putting so much pressure on the glass.

Soaked it in WD40 for several nights, then used windscreen wiper removal tool...........which didn't work.

So took it to a garage.

The driver side on came of with a tug. the passenger one was the issue

Same here. Waiting on a removal tool in the post, hopefully that will shift it. Been using wd40 on it but is there anything better to use?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Did you lift the wiper arm up, as if you were to replace the blade? Takes the tension off the springs

Also with the tool that I had it was better to leave the nut on rather than remove it fully. It made it easier to keep the tool aligned to remove the wiper arm