ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to repair this ugly looking rust?

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Basically looks like the paints bubbled and then chipped away. Not sure what else can be done about something like this apart from an entire respray on that section / panel?
10994823_10203807462486692_1500386608_n_zps8416e691.jpg

10956040_10203807461526668_481547019_n_zps261514d2.jpg

Inferno 182
That's coming through from the inside buddy. Need to stop what's causing it or it'll just come back unfortunately.

2014 Clio 200t edc
I saw a clio today with primer in the same place and though how odd it was, didn't expect them to rust for some reason.
I echo the above though, need to sort what's causing it.

Inferno 182
Sometimes if you catch it really early you can get away with covering the bad area inside with a load of grease. Unfortunately yours is way beyond that stage :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had, f**k me, 100+ mk2 clios? I've never had one with a rusty shell. Ever.
As someone has said, they don't rust as they're galvanised.
Chances are it's had a new back wing at some point in it's life and it wasn't seated properly. Water is getting in and is eating it's way out.

Same when you see clios with rusty doors, chances are they've had new skins. (Which I'd never have on my own car, they always rust, I'd insist on a new door, but I'm going off topic now )

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm it's actually easily fixable that.

Notice unlike most cars it's not coming round the wheel arch area, it's blistering from the body.

Personally, I think it's been painted as the paint chips a lot easier after it's been painted in most cases.

See the large chip are the bottom of the rust? That's thick paint and unormal looking.

With the proper prep ie Bilthamber products and a decent paint shop that won't come back. It may look bad but i've seen, estimated and fixed a lot of corrosion in my time and that's easy stuff.

As Daniel said, if that panel had never had work done it would never rust like that. I've see heavily stone rashed rear quarters on those cars and they don't budge.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh and you need decent tyres.

One way to check if it has had a quarter panel. Open the tailgate and compare the sealer where the strut is on both sides. The factory clio sealer can never be replicated perfectly, it's a big thick flat bead from top to tail-lamp.

RenaultSport 172
My ph1 is rusting quite bad and the paint has all bubbled up. It looks awful. Not sure if I can be bothered to pay out for a fix as the car is worth so little. I also have a bit of rust under the fuel filler cap

How much does it cost to fix this? (Not the best photo)
ajQp4c.jpg

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
LOL @gally I know my tyres are terrible.
Went and got a quote today from a bodyshop i've used before, told me it would be about £370 and that was including fixing a few other parts including a scuff on the bumper and front wing.
Everyone on here was right though. They confirmed it has been sprayed before

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
I Have this on my cup on both sides,very small tho,about the size of a pea!.i think i will have ago doing it myself as its very small and ive had a look and its just where crap has got in it from behind,so can grind it out and treat it and while im at it will waxoyl it to.Just need to get a can of mondial paint made up.

Evo 5 RS
Probably had some repair work done already although they do rust there. Need to take it right back. Should be looking at no more than £350 if you want it to last.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I Have this on my cup on both sides,very small tho,about the size of a pea!.i think i will have ago doing it myself as its very small and ive had a look and its just where crap has got in it from behind,so can grind it out and treat it and while im at it will waxoyl it to.Just need to get a can of mondial paint made up.

That will spread like a whore on heat if not put right asap, especially this time of year.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
In the end I got this repaired and it came back. Took it back to the spray shop and they did it again and the bubbling still came back 😞 just going to leave it now.

Listerine & Poledo
It's just the car trying to revert to it's track-car roots and self-lightening.
'5 owners get this all the time ;)

But I totally empathise for the guy who isn't keen on dropping bodyshop money on their £1k motor

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't pay the earth for it tbh but regardless of price i'd never go back there again. Was a bodyshop local to me in Tunbridge Wells. They made a good job of my front bumper, everything else is crap. It's not got any worse for the time being but not sure what I can do to get it fixed?

If anyone knows someone who can fix such things then point me in their direction. I'm based in Kent. I don't have a problem with paying good money for someone to fix my car herpes.