ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HP Microliant

Inferno 182 CUP
Does anybody else use these?

Is it possible to have an HDMI port and get it running windows 7/8? - I want it to be an HTPC .. outputting audio and video (5.1 dolby) via HDMI to my Denon AMP so it can run plax home threatre, and plex server ..

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yes all that I believe is possible, the only thing I haven't done is put Windows 7 on mine (I run Server 2008 R2) but I can't imagine there being an issue with 7, I'm sure I have read about others using them as you intend to.

I've got two of them (N40L & N54L) but I'm thinking of selling the N40L and going for a G8.

Inferno 182 CUP
Yes all that I believe is possible, the only thing I haven't done is put Windows 7 on mine (I run Server 2008 R2) but I can't imagine there being an issue with 7, I'm sure I have read about others using them as you intend to.

I've got two of them (N40L & N54L) but I'm thinking of selling the N40L and going for a G8.

Whats diff between n40 and n54?

And so i could use these 2 cards?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007RMMYFI/?tag=cliospnet01-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008SIJXXQ/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Then i could install the OS on the 250GB drive?

And then thats it? - Done? Just run it as i would as if it was a normal PC ...

Polo + Micra
i sold my n40l but still have the n54l

i've got a ssd in the optical bay on my n54l then have 11TB in the storage area

i did have a graphics card in the n40 + 8GB of ram and it didn't have a problem with any videos i tried (i was running ubuntu)

the n54 has a faster cpu is the only difference (2.2Ghz vs. 1.5Ghz)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
N40L is 1.5GHz, N54L is 2.2GHz.

Both those cards look like they will fit, might be worth double checking the length of the sound card but it looks ok to me.

Yes, they are just like a small form factor PC, just remember you might want an optical drive for it as they don't come with one. HP say a maximum of 8GB memory but you can fit 16GB, just make sure you get a chipset known to work as the majority won't.

Inferno 182 CUP
Any links to a set of 8GB RAM?

I have a 60gb ssd going spare in my cupboard .. will windows 7 fit on it?

Polo + Micra
i've got just some bog standard kingston ram in my n54l

i've got the 2gb stick i took out if you looking for a match for one already in it

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
It may be useful to others, I found you can actually buy genuine HP SSD adapters for the drive bays off eBay (from China) got a couple here.

Polo + Micra
It may be useful to others, I found you can actually buy genuine HP SSD adapters for the drive bays off eBay (from China) got a couple here.

yeah i bought two from china and they were decent weirdly :S

can fit either a 2.5 or a 3.5 HDD

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yeah I bought one and was dubious about it, but turns out they are genuine HP parts so I ordered a second. I'm not actually using them as the SSD is in the optical drive slot and I'm using all the other slots, but when I change the drives in future to 4TB I will use them as it is handy to have the DVD drive in if possible.

Inferno 182 CUP
I have a 60 SATA 3 SSD that I've just whacked into my laptop so I can install windows 7.

I'm assuming once it's installed I just remove it and out my standard HD back in and then when the Hp arrives I whack the ssd in and it's done?

What about all the drivers etc?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
No, you'd need to install it in the server otherwise you'll have endless driver problems.

Inferno 182 CUP
Ah right okay.

So do the same again once the server arrives and it will automatically pick up all the network drivers etc?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
It's not guaranteed it will pick up all the drivers, but is by far the better thing to do and hopefully it will. You don't have to have the adapter for the top bay, you just have to come up with some way of securing the drive yourself. For the HDD caddies you do need the adapter if fitting an SSD, or you could remove the caddy altogether and plug the SSD straight onto the backplate (I'm sure HP don't advise that) but I did do that to install the OS on mine before putting it in the top bay, as long as you don't miss-handle the server I don't see it being a problem but not ideal.

Inferno 182 CUP
So with no way of securing it myself, for the sake of £10 i could just buy the adapter for the top bay?

Then whatever i insert into the bays below just becomes storage?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
The HP adapter wouldn't work for the top bay, you need an adapter for the 5.25 drive slot.

Inferno 182 CUP
Any links to what is need? Im a newb and havnt a clue what your on about!

I just want to install a 2.5" laptop drive (ssd)

Polo + Micra
i bought 2 of these (mine were black) when i was looking for an adaptor

did take a bit to turn up mind (over a week)