ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hybrid clio / whats possible

535d / t5 caravelle

what possible engine transplants is there for the clio16v for around 6.5-7.5k,preferably a turbod motor-250bhp!(something different than the norm)im thinking like a 20v turbo from a seat/vw,is this possible for my budget?who could do a conversion like this?can you get big power from these engines?is it a good idea?what are my other options?some one out there must have some good ideas,(realistic)i know of the bbconversion and the 5gtt translant,just like to know what else is possible!

what about a cossie engine?

or am i just in dream land?:confused:

535d / t5 caravelle

yeah remember seeing it in a mag,think you need to have a wide arch kit for 4x4?big bucks then!prefer the subtle looking valvers,bit in your face the dimmas-nice though!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Cammed up Williams lump with throttle bodies and Nos is all youd ever need. Prefer n/a to turbo myself no lag and less torque steer.

535d / t5 caravelle

got noz on my valver-50bhp,very impressed,but want that kind of power all the time,not just for 12min,any idea what sort of times that would pull on the 1/4mile,anyone got that done on here?have you martins?any idea how much that would cost?

Not sure, have to ring a few places.

I think the BB one is the only one at present which has been done, used, tested etc.. and they know all the problems associated with it, so maybe best?

I can see it using all of your 7k budget, tho.. hehe.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

If the replies from BB 16v turbo owners are anything to go buy youre going to have to add a modified gearbox to the 7-8k cost of the conversion. Then It would be worth adding ABS if you havent got it so you can get a Racelogic traction control system fitted to help put the power down. That should take you up to 10k all in at least.

How about a twin engined 16v (+TBs) :devilish:

535d / t5 caravelle

yeah on my 4th gearbox already,what modified box though?anything tried and tested?

twin engined 16v (+tbs) ill just go and robb a bank:cool:

535d / t5 caravelle

anyone got any suggestions or contacts ideas for a 20v turbo transplant?or something similar,open to suggestions?tried dubsport,thought they might have a go as a one off,but they werent interested!

cheers

Be interesting to see a valver with a 172/182 engine, or even a V6 255 lump (imagine the cost involved in that though)!!

New megane turbo engine could be a winner if you can work out how to make it fit too!

Putting an engine into another car is always going to be a home project. The company whom you would ask would have to learn about both cars and egines from scratch, do development along the way and typically end up costing you loads.

If your planning to stay in the same marque, its easier as its a linear progression, but jump marques and well, things get complicated.

Running a 20V turbo could be fun, but you have no idea if it would fit firstly. Then youd have to sort out the electronics, in which case itll probably be easier to just use a standalong ECU and map it to your needs rather than try trick the ECU into thinking the rest of the car is still attatched.

172 engine wouldnt physically fit unless you were running bodies, and possibly a shallow sump with an apollo tank.

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 29 March 2004

172 engine wouldnt physically fit unless you were running bodies, and possibly a shallow sump with an apollo tank.
Not even with a giant bonnet bulge? :p

If I had a load of cash to wax on an engine conversion I think Id get throttle bodies on a Willy lump, with some hardcore headwork and cams etc.. detailed remap... Guess youd be pushing close to (or even over) 200 brake with that lot, not to mention the extra torque!

Too many extra hidden costs to going the turbo route as discussed above (gearbox, clutch(es!), brakes, etc etc)

me and a mate were talking about this a while back and decided a good engine would be thew vauxhall C20 LET engine, its the cavalier/calibra turbo, similar size and shape to the clio 16v engine, need custom engine mounts, downpipe, driveshafts, use the vaux ecu loom and clocks, alternator would need to be moved as it would foul the brake master cylinder.

i think this would be the best conversion, plus youd get a 6 speed box ;)

205bhp standard, a chip will see 280, 315 is possible with larger intercooler, exhaust etc. Courtenay will sort out a nice strong 370bhp engine for about 5k

But whats the point? The limiting factor is the car is FWD, you will be able to thrash all the Novas you like but it doesnt make it a good car.

-Rob

2005 Nissan Navara

Quote: Originally posted by riplash on 29 March 2004

If I had a load of cash to wax on an engine conversion I think Id get throttle bodies on a Willy lump, with some hardcore headwork and cams etc.. detailed remap... Guess youd be pushing close to (or even over) 200 brake with that lot, not to mention the extra torque!
if u done it right u would get a lot more

To convert to RWD your looking at cutting out the entire floor plan and basically dropping the body onto a RWD drive train assembly.

535d / t5 caravelle

rang nick at hillpower about a year ago asking about a 172 engine,said it wouldnt fit,so right there!also rang up europarts who said there 5 cost £18,000!!! think id prefer a turbo to a supercharger,not heard to much about the latter!?so looks like its probably more hastle than its worth,was worth thinking about though,think its going to be a bb conversion or a five turbo transplant....decisions? decisions?

god my heads mashed!

cheers for your replies

between a R5 GTT and a 16v Turbo conversion, i would much rather have the R5 as it will be more reliable and easier tunable.

The 16v converison pushes between 230/250BHP but ive heard a fair few blow gearboxes but the R5s can easily be tweeked to well over 200BHP and still be realible and run off a standard box

Also wot would u rather spend £1500 on a R5 GTT conversion or £5k+ on a 16v turbo conversion, with that extra money you could easily make the R5 lump a lot more powerful

Quote: Originally posted by bill on 29 March 2004

anyone got any suggestions or contacts ideas for a 20v turbo transplant?or something similar,open to suggestions?tried dubsport,thought they might have a go as a one off,but they werent interested!

cheers
Easy, buy a MK2 Golf GTi and do the TT 225bhp 20v Turbo conversion, cost 4k from Designadubs, the rest of the 3k in your budget can go on koni coilovers, seat cupra r brembo brakes and Quaife LSD.

^^^BTW thats the dream spec for my Golf:oops:

But i rather have a Supra given the money lol

Isnt a unique and cheapest idea to drop a big engine in the back ie a FWD Volvo T5 or Saab aero engine or or a 1.8 in there? Surely you can buy a cheap wreck and almost weld the whole thing in.

The engine may need to be fooled but how difficult is that just dont connect the sensors and the ECU will have to survive without them the ABS and traction control ones wont cause any trouble will then. If not just use a whole new stand alone ECU (has the advantage of taking full advantge of the engine).

The other way to go would be be to strip it out wouldnt it absolutly stripping it to the bare bones would make for a quick car due to the better power to weight plus better lap times.

The cossie engine Clio was more Cossie than Clio IMO it was a Cossie engine and transmission with a Clio body shell.

The ultimate has to be a twin engiend turbo charged Hyabushi Clio. 1200hp potential with a load of cash but even for £2.8k you can get ~300hp out of the hyabushi.

Quote: Originally posted by Essex_Lad on 29 March 2004

between a R5 GTT and a 16v Turbo conversion, i would much rather have the R5 as it will be more reliable and easier tunable.
Dont see why?

If you have the full rebuild on the 16v lump, low compression pistons etc there is no reason why the actual engine shouldnt be reliable!

Weak points will be the clutch and gearbox - which will suffer no matter what engine is throwing out the power.

535d / t5 caravelle

looks like thats the question then clio gtt/16v turbo?are these 5 turbos quick after a 100mph,or are they out of steam by then?

535d / t5 caravelle

looks like thats the question then clio gtt or 16v turbo?are these 5 turbos any good after 100mph or do they run out of steam by then?would imagine the 16v turbo to pull strongly still

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

For max speed the 16v turbo is always going to win, but check out Performance GTI 0-60 and 0-100 times for what you can get out of a 5 lump (albeit in a 5 though) A guy on RTOC did a 12.6 quarter last week ;)

The 5 is cheap to tune but youre going to be looking at quite a long list of engine mods, unless you can do some work yourself it all adds up; full rebuild, T28/T3 turbo, charge cooler/front mount I/C, headwork, lightened and balanced bottom end,modded carb, uprated clutch, uprated fuel pump, 2.5"side exit exhaust, enlarged turbo elbow, oil cooler, water injection, boost controller. That lot should see you on your way to a fair bit of power.

535d / t5 caravelle

f*ck me,12.6!thats rapido!you got a clio gtt coolspot00000007489375934859300000007500349809385058!;)

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by Essex_Lad on 29 March 2004

The 16v converison pushes between 230/250BHP but ive heard a fair few blow gearboxes but the R5s can easily be tweeked to well over 200BHP and still be realible and run off a standard box

Also wot would u rather spend £1500 on a R5 GTT conversion or £5k+ on a 16v turbo conversion, with that extra money you could easily make the R5 lump a lot more powerful

agreed.........extra £3k+ to spend on an engine could get you some serious power, and all the parts are available for the 5 engine, tried and tested over many years

a small block chevy V8 will fit and all the plugs are pretty much the same too ive been told. if u fancy about 300bhp and 400lbs of torque

2002 Clio Dynamic

I have been looking into having a GTT swap in my clio,just wondering what kind of price would be involved in having an engine supplied and fitted?

i found an engine and gearbox for £700 that was in good condition. its around a £grand to get it fitted, plus there are other bits you need, like speedo, fuel pump. so most try to get a complete R5gtt car to use for the parts. MOT failure is ideal, plus you can see the engine working then. i was thinking of it too. but would like a newer engine than the r5, i like the sound of that c20let engine though, hmmm wonder if it could fit

why hybrid clio turbo lump good for upto 500bhp with enough mods 6 speed box soon to be available and everything else brakes suspension chassis mods will need to be done as you increase power regardless of engine choice