ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hybrid Rolling Road = Failure

DSC_0023.jpg

Poor result from the hybrid today on the dyno, but glad I did it as I know know there is a serious problem with it.

Took the drive upto Paul @ RS Tuning in Leeds, to see what power the hybrid was running...engine spec is: Megane F7R 2.0 Bottom End, Valver Head...Running Williams ECU. I was told the williams ECU was chipped to allow the spec of the engine to run, but its seems not to be the case.

DSC_0019.jpg

For people that know graphs, you can probably see whats going wrong. Paul explained to me it was massively overfuelling, due to the valver head having smaller valves than a williams head, and the williams ECU was putting too much fuel in, obviously never been set up properly for the engine.

SCAN0030.jpg

SCAN0031.jpg

Massive overfuelling resulted in s**te power output :dapprove: Hybrids of the same specification were running around 160bhp at the rolling road day there just two days ago, so its safe to say im 30bhp down :(

DSC_0017.jpg

Video: http://www.vimeo.com/2228011

Needless to say im pretty dissapointed with the outcome, but at least its uncovered a problem which is fixable, and hopefully give me the correct power output for the setup.

Next step is to either map the ECU to fix it, or go standalone, which I was planning to do in the near-ish future....oh well....more soon!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My Hybrid (2.0 b/e, 16v head, kent cams vernier pulleys, Gunnerchip, IK, decat) is supposed to be running 160hp.

I might have to get mine rolling roaded to see as i reckon its a good 20-30hp down.

yeah, there was a couple of hybrids there the other day running 159/160's just with a decat and standard spec.........

paul said its easily sorted by changing the fuelling on the map, but why should I bother spending money to map a standard ecu if i want standalone...meh

Gutted for your Hyjord! Got to think of the positives though dude, atleast your cars not grey..... oh wait

x

fabia vrs
looking good jord !! Shame about the lack of power but if you never went you would never have known !! Better luck next time mate and keep us updated !! ;)

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
is running a 2.0 b/e with a valver head better the just running a full 2.0? and if so can any tell me why? sorry if that is a noob question!:eek:

is running a 2.0 b/e with a valver head better the just running a full 2.0? and if so can any tell me why? sorry if that is a noob question!:eek:

its pretty much the same bar the sizes of the valves, its just how i got the engine

does it feel down on power chap?

ive no idea lol, im not used to having a car with more than 100bhp.....something isnt right though there was always bits of smoke and weird smells since ive put the block in, probably explains it

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I wouldn't call this a poor performance, 130 bhp is still ok. Sounds like it just needs a proper live mapping session. Im sure paul could sort you out with a custom map as aposed to going down the expensive standalone route.

Why dont you try source a Willy head as well? Buy a head and refurb it, port and polish then swap the heads over and remap FTW.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Talk to Bayliss, think he is runing a willy setup, meggy bottom end, with head work and wild cams. With that setup up he's quicker than a mildly tuned 1*2.

I wouldn't call this a poor performance, 130 bhp is still ok. Sounds like it just needs a proper live mapping session. Im sure paul could sort you out with a custom map as aposed to going down the expensive standalone route.

Why dont you try source a Willy head as well? Buy a head and refurb it, port and polish then swap the heads over and remap FTW.

could possibly be picking williams head up this weekend, we shall see

saturday 10am is all good aswell mate, see you at the services.

you dont hang about do you !!!

only got the timing belt kit off me the other week lol

heh ;) that went on the day after :approve:

He's got fcuk all else to do! Bloody students. ;)

meh!

nah it isnt off just yet, i was just seeing if i could get a gasket and head bolts by the weekend if I got the williams head :)

LOL.....fark that, ive nicked bolts and allsorts off it....

williams head should be going on this weekend now, we shall see ;)

FLOL........nah, i did that s**t, cut it off with some scissors....locking the cams, whats that all about, dont need to do that ;)

White R26/Stripped Valver
Sounds awesome in the vid.

You can never tell if its down on power because in a valver you always feel like your going twice as fast as you actually are lol.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Looking at the vid again you can see its over fueling abit from the smoke.

Ye 10.00am at the services is cool.

Can you pick me up a Willy head while your at it as well? xD

Looking at the vid again you can see its over fueling abit from the smoke.

Ye 10.00am at the services is cool.

Can you pick me up a Willy head while your at it as well? xD

heh :approve:

yeah, smokey as anything after it had been run....bit of blue at one point too....meh!

il text you closer the time on the number you pm'd me about sat

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
its pretty much the same bar the sizes of the valves, its just how i got the engine

So it isnt better perforance then a straight willy lump?

FLOL........nah, i did that s**t, cut it off with some scissors....locking the cams, whats that all about, dont need to do that ;)

You actualy changed your cambelt without locking the cams?

So it isnt better perforance then a straight willy lump?

You actualy changed your cambelt without locking the cams?

better performance yes, harder to source williams engine with average miles nowadays, and they are more expensive...

most common hybrid engine setup people are running over on williamsclio/clio16valver is meggy b/e and valver head, its similar performance, williams slightly better

the problem im having is just simply the map it seems

cambelt...crank to tdc, then locked the crank, removed belt, swapped idler and tensioner, replaced belt, made sure none of the 3 markings had moved, all lined up to the lines on the belt, tensioned it, perfectly fine.....

ValverInBits
Did i read in your prooject thread that the lambda was a bit fooked so you cleaned it?

When my valver was overfueling it was all down to a lambda sensor. Bought a brand new NGK one (was a quality part) for 50 quid or so. The instructions that came with it advised not to get any contaminents at all on the sensor and avoid touching it iirc.

What I'm trying to say is, perhaps you need a new lambda. Although the theory behind the small port overfuel is sound. :)

yeah, i thought about that, and yeah it was in the project thread

it could be a partially both being messed up, but after opening the ECU is looks like its never been touched, 100% boggo williams ecu, so it wouldnt be running right anyway

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
better performance yes, harder to source williams engine with average miles nowadays, and they are more expensive...

most common hybrid engine setup people are running over on williamsclio/clio16valver is meggy b/e and valver head, its similar performance, williams slightly better

the problem im having is just simply the map it seems

cambelt...crank to tdc, then locked the crank, removed belt, swapped idler and tensioner, replaced belt, made sure none of the 3 markings had moved, all lined up to the lines on the belt, tensioned it, perfectly fine.....

sorry dude i dont think you get what im asking you.

i know a williams/megane lump is better then a valver lump but if saying does having a willy/megane bottom end with a 16v head have better performace than a willy/megane bottom end with the willy/megane head?

(Or maybe you did understand me and u were saying that the willy/meagne b/e with 16v head is better)