ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I bought a DAS 6 kit :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm, good question. Yes and no.

Because you're polishing you don't quite need it as much, the Amigo/Blackmax will do the light cleaning of polishing oils prior to LSP.

But... for a later date and stripping your lsp back off I like having it in the arsenal.

I may get it at a later date then :)
Cheers :)
Shame the roads have now got horrible salty. Can't see the point in using al my Machine polishing bits just now :(
Just get ruined really quickly.
Paintwork should already be protected as I did it all by hand recently anyway.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Start of march end of feb is always good mate. Should be a bit milder.

Roads are terrible just now tbh mate washed mone all this evening luckily nothing sticks to the C1 but it was looking dirty. As were my wheels!

Yea ha! Nightmare.

I know its always going to get dirty, but as it'll be my first time with all the kit, going to take me a good whole day at least I expect, so would rather I could admire it looking amazing for more than one journey!

Think I'll just stick to washing and topping up my current wax that's on there till a bit later. The other day I even just gave it a rinse with the pressure washer, because it was soo salty, and didn't want it sitting on there for a long period of time. Didn't even bother drying it lol. Should really get out and give my wheels another clean and coat of wheel sealant really.
Annoying though because I want to get out and start learning/practising!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I pw it sometimes without washing. Great for getting all the crap off the paint.

Especially with C1 or a sealant underneath mate.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hard, people might tell you otherwise but working in a bodyshop and detailing I can tell you from 03 on most will be painted with hard clearcoat.

Megs combo is fantastic mate, simple 2 stage combo. I have to ask though do you have much practice correcting etc? Do you use a rotary?

RS6 C7
Just purchased a das 6, What pads & polish would you recommend Gally? .

My cars fairly new so there is only very light swirling to correct.

I have menzerna super finish 4000 & power finish + AG super resin polish.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Hard, people might tell you otherwise but working in a bodyshop and detailing I can tell you from 03 on most will be painted with hard clearcoat.

Megs combo is fantastic mate, simple 2 stage combo. I have to ask though do you have much practice correcting etc? Do you use a rotary?

Nope complete novice with machine polishing mate. Just need an intro kit to get started. The meg has simple swirl marks which fills in with black hole and man power. But tbh I'm after correcting it once and for all. Silly q, I'm assuming I can't use the same cutting pad for two different paints. Lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just purchased a das 6, What pads & polish would you recommend Gally? .

My cars fairly new so there is only very light swirling to correct.

I have menzerna super finish 4000 & power finish + AG super resin polish.

106fa (4000) is a superb polish, easily one of the best alround polishes i've ever used. Polish you have it bang on. I don't like SRP to be honest. Have you read my glaze thread mate? I prefer polish - Glaze - LSP.

Pads, look at the hexalogic range mate.

Nope complete novice with machine polishing mate. Just need an intro kit to get started. The meg has simple swirl marks which fills in with black hole and man power. But tbh I'm after correcting it once and for all. Silly q, I'm assuming I can't use the same cutting pad for two different paints. Lol

Correcting paint is a massive thing mate, not something I ever recommend per se'. Polishing is fine. As above 106fa via machine is fantastic and may leave a few deeper marks. Then use a glaze via machine or hand.

I love Lamp
Ahh this is where the action is :)

Kev (or anyone else :)) what would be the best polish and pad combo for me?? I have light swirls but they are everywhere and want them gone so going to use my old mans machine polisher.. Going to do full on clean, clay, polish and everything to make it all shiny for the good weather :)

Does what you posted above go for any colour??

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed mate. I'd maybe change things around for maybe white/Silver but on Monaco i'd use the above.

Coming into the spring summer may be worthwhile looking at a nice wax instead of a sealant. Although Jett will look immense and it's super easy to use. :)

I love Lamp
Sweet cheers..

I've still got that Victoria Concours wax you recommended before.. Will Jett give a better finish? What's the difference between a sealant and wax?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Now that's a question! Wax is said to give a warmer look. In some cases wetter.

Sealants are said to give a more sterile clean look. Great for light colours and also heavy metallic/pearl colours.

After 3 layers of Jett you'd struggle to tell the difference imo.

I could talk about it for hours. There are a hundred exceptions to the rule and 95% of the finish is in the prep mate.

I love Lamp
Ahh ok I'll stick with the wax then as I still have it and it has a lovely strawberry smell lol

I think I'll get myself a clay bar(need to research how to clay lol) the mezerna polish, the 2 pads there and the glaze.

I keep reading the stickied threads and that and really want to do it now but weather is pants :( lol

Cheers for the help again Kev :)

E85 3.0i
I'm shamelessly jumping on the back of this thread as I've also just bought a DAS-6 which arrived today (sorry, didn't want to make yet another thread!).

Tried to do as much research as possible, but as it's all very new to me I decided to buy a kit from i4detailing - to be precise the DAS-6 Menzerna Kit 2 for medium-hard paint. I went for this as first 2 thing's it'll be doing are my Z4 and my mum's Abarth Punto, both of which I gather have pretty hard paint...

Arrived today, so I decided to have a play on my 08 reg 170,000 mile Transit - I figured if I'm going to balls up I'd rather do it on an old van rather than someones car. Picked a panel, washed, tardis/ironx/clay.

Using the orange pad and Menzerna PF2500 that comes in the kit, I applied to the paint first using 2/3 passes at a speed of 2, then speeding up to 4 for several more passes, then finally 5.5. Ive basically been left with what looks to be LOADS of residue left that's really hard to buff off and it looks a complete mess...

Question is, is this simply because I've used too much polish? I've watched a few YT videos and I'm thinking I've used loads more polish than I should have (a few squirts where 3-4 drops should do half a panel)

Also, I've been told you need to keep the pad wet - but how often should you be spraying it/how wet should it be?

Again, sorry that these are COMPLETE noob questions, I wish there was a school for learning to do this, but would rather get some practice in and become semi competent before I attack a decent motor.

I'm a noob too, but when I use polish, I do a swirl of polish, then rub it into the pad with my finger all over to prime it.
Then just two or three pea sized blobs. Started at speed two and did 2/3 passes to spread the product, then stepped up to 5/6 for a good 7 or more passes. Until the polish was worked in. Have you read Dave's DA polishing guide? Once I'd done that buffing off was really easy.

Just check your pad after each section, if there's a build up of to much polish, use a nylon brush or toothbrush to remove it. You can also just lightly dust the pad with a spray of water to prevent dry buffing. I suspect its more a case of too much polish / not enough passes / moving the DA to fast across the paint not giving it a chance to break down the polish.

Start with the least aggressive pad/polish combo too.

E85 3.0i
Yeah I think it's definately too much polish/too faster passes. I have read Dave's guide several times but it was a bit too much to take in! Still learn more each time I read it. Will have a go on something that's not white as that's not making it any easier!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Sounds like a little too much compound on the pad, but then you mention doing half a panel, you need to be working an area approx 1' square. Prime the pad a little first, then a couple of pea size blobs per 1' section.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Am I right in assuming that polishing a Titanium Silver 182 with one of these is a bit pointless? I know it will make it more shiny, but would it really be worth the investment?
I think it's a good investment. You could remove swirls/ light scratches if you have them.

You can apply glazes too, which is so much better than doing it by hand.

Then you can use it for the odd job like a headlight correction etc.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Am I right in assuming that polishing a Titanium Silver 182 with one of these is a bit pointless? I know it will make it more shiny, but would it really be worth the investment?

Why would the colour make any difference? The condition of the paint does. What condition is it in? Is hazard a guess at fairly swirled to ask a question like that, no offence but I would assume your knowledge of detailing to be fairly limited

Why would the colour make any difference? The condition of the paint does. What condition is it in? Is hazard a guess at fairly swirled to ask a question like that, no offence but I would assume your knowledge of detailing to be fairly limited

I know enough to have a decent wash routine that works, the whole point I was making was due to the colour not the condition.

It's a colour that doesn't really show swirl marks, and doesn't have that much depth hence why I asked. I hand polish it currently anyway, just wondering if it would be investing as I can't imagine with the colour I have it would show much difference compared to a non-metallic colour.

Last edited:

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Any recommendations for a glaze I can use on my Mystic Blue BMW?

6904666575_dbed76d4b5_z.jpg

BMW 320 by bensambrook, on Flickr

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Prima Amigo is still to be beaten in the Glazing sector. So easy yet so rewarding.

Have a look at Waitey's recent threads. His Tvr is a similar colour to the Bmw.