ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Icemans Britcar Endurance project 182

Golf GTD Mk7
Looking good Mark. Not overly keen on the bonnet, but i'm sure it will help. Surely it would be just as efficient, if not more so, to spacer the bonnet hinges to give a vent as the direction of flow won't come out of the vent in the one you have?

Evo 5 RS
Nice result on the cheap bonnet, does look naff mind you ;)

Coming along really nicely this, should be a bit of a weapon

Looking good so far!!

The question is? Who has the ponciest race car, you, or JMS ....

JMS by far for precision and over engineering lol. Not that theres anything wrong with over engineering...

As long as you're ok with waiting an extra 5 years to drive it ;)

BMW Z4
Nice result on the cheap bonnet, does look naff mind you ;)

Coming along really nicely this, should be a bit of a weapon

JMS by far for precision and over engineering lol. Not that theres anything wrong with over engineering...

As long as you're ok with waiting an extra 5 years to drive it ;)

Well I like it and that's all that matters ;) I have a boring looking plain one for Tin Tops mind you so don't worry..

182 trackday racer
No news on the door cards chap.

No mate, I was refering to the contact I sent you about bootlid and lightbox. I cancelled my Orecas and bought carbon ones from that supplyer instead. Everything rolled on nicely, one week from payment they had been manufactured and posted. Some differance to waiting 2months for faulty Orecas :dead:

Will be here any day now. Can post you images if you are interested in general fit and finish.

BMW Z4
No mate, I was refering to the contact I sent you about bootlid and lightbox. I cancelled my Orecas and bought carbon ones from that supplyer instead. Everything rolled on nicely, one week from payment they had been manufactured and posted. Some differance to waiting 2months for faulty Orecas :dead:

Will be here any day now. Can post you images if you are interested in general fit and finish.

Ah yes. I emailed them and he said he will discuss it with his partner. Let's see. Yeh send me some images please. PM Me.

Mark.

BMW Z4
Update

Just a small update this time. We did actually get a lot done but it was one of those days where it does not look that much. I spent 5 hours welding my seat mounts in place and ruining the paintwork on the floor but have since painted it back up and you cant tell :) Next time I will fit all brackets before getting the cage done.

So first up we started to fit the plastic windows. These are the thermoformed ones with the tuff coating and they do fit very well.

NSwindow.jpg

NSwindow2.jpg

NSwindow3.jpg

NSquarterwindow.jpg

The rear window has to go in next.

rearwindow.jpg

An easy job next. The front 25mm wheel spacers went on.

frontwheelspacer.jpg

frontwheelspacer2.jpg

frontwheelspacer3.jpg

I fitted the new fuel rail and also the fuel filter in place.

fuelrail.jpg

fuelrail2.jpg

fuelfilter.jpg

Next up is the new short rad. I was going to get this fabricated but for £40 a pop I can have loads of these as spares instead of a bling one for £500!

shortrad.jpg

shortrad2.jpg

shortrad3.jpg

This one is for Fred :)

sightgauge.jpg

and the oil catch tank

oilcatchtank.jpg

I will change that if asked for a larger one

Lastly a pic of the seat with the mount brackets on and adjusters. This will be fitted this weekend.

seat.jpg

So as I said a short update. This weekend we will get the rear window in and do all the wiring done. She is then ready to go for a map and the suspension setup/corner weighting :)

Nearly finished now.

Mark

Flame Red 172
Cars coming along nicely mate , when are you looking at having it all finished guna look good when its all done

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Awesome build, great attention to detail.

Did you get the harness bars fitted to you cage in the end? Excuse me if I've got the wrong car in question.

BMW Z4
Awesome build, great attention to detail.

Did you get the harness bars fitted to you cage in the end? Excuse me if I've got the wrong car in question.

I rang them about it and they said the bar at the back is the harness bar. Nick and Chris bought a rear bolt in bar and that is further away than mine is. The seat is quite far back when fitted and not that far from that bar so I think the harness will reach it no problem.

182cup & 172 racecar
I rang them about it and they said the bar at the back is the harness bar. Nick and Chris bought a rear bolt in bar and that is further away than mine is. The seat is quite far back when fitted and not that far from that bar so I think the harness will reach it no problem.

I don't think it was the distance problem,more the angle if you remember.10% up or down from eyelets in seat.

Lionel Richie
Isn't TDF supporting you on this? Surprised he allowed you to use that CTS, horrible way to do it! You not seen the CTS they use?

Oil tank will need to be changed, thanks for adding the sight to the header, as delboy would say "you know it makes sense" ;)

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
Just read this whole thread, the amount of work is phenomenal! Looking forward to seeing the finished result :)

What size of brakes discs and callipers are you running on this car ? They look pretty small and standard for a Brit car ? You might run into a bit of over heating/brake fade with discs that size over a long race distance.

What size of brakes discs and callipers are you running on this car ? They look pretty small and standard for a Brit car ? You might run into a bit of over heating/brake fade with discs that size over a long race distance.

Especially as the car is going weigh quite a bit more than a normal racecar, isn't it having a larger tank for endurance also?

Golf GTD Mk7
Especially as the car is going weigh quite a bit more than a normal racecar, isn't it having a larger tank for endurance also?

Yep tank is going to be much bigger. Not sure if it's been spec'd yet though.

Brake wise he's running x85 four pots iirc.

BMW Z4
Isn't TDF supporting you on this? Surprised he allowed you to use that CTS, horrible way to do it! You not seen the CTS they use?

Oil tank will need to be changed, thanks for adding the sight to the header, as delboy would say "you know it makes sense" ;)

You know Fred I did think of removing the standard one and filling that hole with an ally plug and then tapping that, might do that now then to make a better job of it. Yes I Knew you would like my little sight gauge ;)

As for TDF well Chrispy needed some work as he has just graduated so I have employed him to help him out. He has been a great, no MASSIVE help on this build and comes over at the weekends when I am back in the UK. We are trying to get him a job at Radical at the mo which is owned by a good friend of mine.

Last edited:
  BMW Z4

The car is being built at the moment for Track Day trophy and Britcars new 2 hour production endurance series. I have to have a National A license to compete in 24 hour endurance so need to do a min of 6 races in TDT next year. As such I am doing this phase as more of a sprint car build than a full on endurance build.

The brakes and discs are standard size so as to take a 15 inch wheel. I was going to get a full on AP kit (big Mmmmmm) but for that you need a 16 inch wheel and EVERYONE I have spoken to says not to race with a 16 inch wheel in sprint. lacking in motorsport experience I don't know what the difference is but I even rang team Pyro from Clio cup and he said run a 15inch so there you go.

So I have bought a set of Wilwood calipers from Ktech today and those Brembo max discs that are in the pictures. My Brembo x85 cup calipers I will keep back now for when/if we do full on 24 hour endurance at a later date and I then change to a 16 inch wheel for more cooling larger brake setup.

Last edited:
  BMW Z4
I thought +/- 10 deg was ideal but you can go up to 45 deg down? That's what's in the blue book and FIA regs.

I agree and more to the point.

The cage is FIA certified for a Clio with that rear bar specified in the drawings as the harness mount point so as far as I am concerned it's ok regardless of its angle otherwise they would not have given it a certification number.

Lionel Richie
You know Fred I did think of removing the standard one and filling that hole with an ally plug and then tapping that, might do that now then to make a better job of it. Yes I Knew you would like my little sight gauge ;)

As for TDF well Chrispy needed some work as he has just graduated so I have employed him to help him out. He has been a great, no MASSIVE help on this build and comes over at the weekends when I am back in the UK. We are trying to get him a job at Radical at the mo which is owned by a good friend of mine.

na WAY to complicated, and the CTS has to be in the head really, you should've bought the M6 CTS from TDF, replaces the stock bleed screw, very clever

Qashcow
Very sexy looking CTS too if I may say so myself, glad that's what I went for in the end just to keep it neater looking