ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Illumination of all warning lights, dials went crazy and then cut out.

05 RB 182 Cup
Hey peeps,
I was driving to work this morning when after about 10 minutes/5 miles my warning lights started to illuminate.
My engine management warning light was already illuminated (this comes on intermittently and I've always assumed this is due to the exhaust being de-cat).
From memory the first lights to come on were the service and stop lights and gradually all of the lights became permanently illuminated: brake, ABS, immobiliser, airbag.
Next my speedo dropped to 0 and then started to flick all the way to 160 and back.
Then the car cut out when I went round a right hand bend.
When I tried to restart I could hear electrics, maybe the starter motor trying to engage?, but only once did it start to turn over and very weakly.
The car started straight away this morning and was fine until these symptoms started.
I'll get it recovered to my local garage A.S.A.P but does anyone have any ideas to what the problem may be?
Andy

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Can you remember if your battery light came on to start with?

Mine did all sorts when the alternator failed and then ran out of charge, dials all over the place, dash lit up like a christmas tree, etc etc.

05 RB 182 Cup
Hi guys,
The battery/charging warning light did illuminate. I can't remember when though.
The battery is only a month old.
Not another alternator. lol I had the alternator replaced in a 172 and the problem turned out to be the alternator cable!

05 RB 182 Cup
It could well be @realnumber 1.
This afternoon I drove back to where it broke down with a colleague with the intention of towing it to my local garage and it started first time. lol It didn't sound the strongest of starts but it didn't struggle.
When we got back to work (a 20 minute country drive) we stop and started it a good few times and it's back to normal starting strongly immediately every time.
I deleted two stored error codes which were lambda and knock sensors but I doubt they are related to the cause.
Back to driving a time bomb until it plays up again. Doh!
Hopefully at least this eliminates anything costly.