ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Immobiliser issue

Iceberg 172
I've had my ph2 172 for a couple of weeks now, and the last two or three days its started fine in the mornings, but when I come to drive home from work it wont fire up. The starter motor and all the electrics work fine, so I don't think the issue is there. Tonight it took about 30 attempts to get the car to start, and when it finally did all the trip computer had reset itself, and now the auto lights wont work :S
Not sure if this has happened because I held the lock/unlock button on the key a couple of times while trying to get it to start?

There is also an additional alarm fitted to the car, which I have no fob for, but was told by the previous owner that it was deactivated.
Though it could be something to do with the key coding? Or the aftermarket alarm isn't actually deactivated?
Anyone got any ideas before I go and pay someone to have a look?

Cheers.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The alarm, IF its a dealer fit item, will be there purely to get the vehicles security to Thatcham catergory 1 so will have nothing to do with the key or its code... its a noise maker and nothing more.

This has been covered (to death) before but i'll repeat it again for you. Firstly, confirm the status of the red warning light when you are attempting to start the vehicle:

Flashing light @ 1hz - System armed, imob active.
Flashing light @ 4hz - Key code not recognised, system active, starting not authorised.
Solid light - Key/code recognised, imob disarmed.

Normal operation would see he light go solid for a few seconds and then go off BUT sometimes the system will be blamed for other faults in the system. In cases like this you will typically see normal-ish operation of the system except the light will go solid and remain lit/solid. If this is the case the most likely cause is busted wires in the main harness in the engine bay.

If your light is flashing at 4hz (that 4 flashes per second) the car has detected a key but isn't accepting the code. This could be a fault with the key or the decoder ring itself. Unfortunatly, in most cases it requires a new key and they can only be purchased from Renault and coded by someone with CLIP access. Do not waste your cash on secondhand keys from eBay as they will not work no matter what the seller or other internet sources says. Ideally you will need a proper diagnostic session to properly diagnose the fault and fix it as guessing is expensive.

Mick

Iceberg 172
Cheers, I did do a search before posting but nothing came up.

The imob light is flashing at 4hz when I try to start the car, and then it kills the starter too.
I'll update when I've had a diagnostic scan done on the car, hopefully that'll bring up why the auto lights have stopped working...