ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

indicator problem

clio 1.2 16v dynamiq
ok so bare with me lol
when i indicate my brake lights flash alternately
when i put the car in reverse the brake light glow also
while its doing its fancy illumination show the fog light on the dash comes on also

so after having a good read on here im assuming its a bad connection on the rear cluster and im planning on cleaning the connections up and using a bit of wd 40 on them. would it be a good idea to use some carb cleaner to get rid of the the muk?

It will be the bad connection, as you found when you searched.

Just use whatever you have to hand mate. As long as you clean them, use a little toothbrush or something.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Spray the connections with contact cleaner, also sometimes it's not the grime making a dodgy connection can just be the wires coming away from the multiplug block.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I've tried this and nothings making it go away! getting worse (brighter) if anything.

Could it be to do with a dodgy alternator? As it tends to dim (on the rear fog light on dash) once the car has been driving a while.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Earth on the alternator mate? Where's the usual earthing pt?

No not the alternator the main one that causes the problems is the gearbox earth strap, remove it from both ends and clean up the metal behind it..

There is also one that goes to the underside of the slam panel near the passenger side headlight this one can also corrode.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ahh right. Nice one cheers mate. Will get onto it asap, been doing my head in for months.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Indeed! Was lovely having no speedo when driving to Dover, with a flashing fog light on the dash and gay brother spewing up a dodgy pork chop all over the side of my freshly waxed Clio at 2am down the M6!

Indeed! Was lovely having no speedo when driving to Dover, with a flashing fog light on the dash and gay brother spewing up a dodgy pork chop all over the side of my freshly waxed Clio at 2am down the M6!

Flol bet the beading was epic:dead:

Ckio Sport, 9-5 Aero
i have a similar problem... rear fog lights indicator lights when i break and using "left turn signal"... fot worse after gleaning the connector to the left rear light... now it even blinks slowen when i break and usint left turn signal.. :(

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
i have a similar problem... rear fog lights indicator lights when i break and using "left turn signal"... fot worse after gleaning the connector to the left rear light... now it even blinks slowen when i break and usint left turn signal.. :(

Yep, exactly the same for me. Hopefully this earth shiz will sort it out.