ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inner Track rod replacement

Lionel Richie
yes, but you'll have to "thin it down" with a grinder as the flats are very skinny, i'll have to double check but i'm 99% sure its 32mm

LY R26 #288
Ok thanks Fred. From searching previous threads It looks like it is 32mm but if you or anyone else could confirm this it would be great help.

LY R26 #288
Is it vital to hold the other part of the rack still whilst undoing the track rods to reduce strain on the pinion? If do what do you use?

172/1.2/E30
Renault manuals state that you need to fix the part of the rack where the rod attaches when loosening/fastening the rod/joint. I didn't do that and haven't had problems yet.

LY R26 #288
come again?

As above. The Haynes manual states you have to hold the toothed part that the inner track rod screws on to with something to reduce strain on the rest of the rack whilst undoing/tightening.

Since access is dia I can't really see a way of doing that.

LY R26 #288
Lol just checking Fred. You know what these workshop manuals are like. Mega over cautious!.

Appreciate all the help. Just gotta order the bits and give it a stab.

I take it the boot clips are non re-usable?.

Lionel Richie
Lol just checking Fred. You know what these workshop manuals are like. Mega over cautious!.

Appreciate all the help. Just gotta order the bits and give it a stab.

I take it the boot clips are non re-usable?.

zip ties reusable? erm

step 1 - remove battery LOL

Last edited:
  LY R26 #288
Haha. TBH I havent even looked at the rack yet. Presumed they were metal clips.

Ok I'm gonna shutup now and just do it. haha.

Thanks again for all the info.