ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interior LED Bulb Problem

Petrol Blue 182.
Just fitted some LED Bulbs to the interior and map light.

only problem is the bulb stays in ever so slightly after its supposed to of gone out.
It goes out completley if you flick it over to the Map light however.

The map light goes out, just the interior light to the left that stays on.

On
DSC_0470_zps6c601fcd.jpg

Off
DSC_0469_zpsb1973aa6.jpg

Mine does it as well, I think I read if you solder a resistor or something to the bulb it will stop it, but tbh I never notice mine now.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has done it ever since half the SMD's died shortly after install. It's normal, and the less LEDs you have sharing the power, the brighter they will shine.

BG182ff,explod Focus
My best guess would be they are on a system that monitors the bulbs to make sure they are still functional.

A small current and low voltage would be applied to the interior light circuit when they are turned off and as long as the bulb was healthy it would complete the circuit. There wouldn't be enough power in the circuit to create any visible light from an incandescent filament lamp but would allow the ECU to know if the bulb was working and if not it could kick out the relevant fault code for the highly trained main dealer mechanic to successfully diagnose the problem. But only if he's been on the interior lighting fault finding course.

The LEDs you are now using are bright blue so will need around 3.5V to turn them on. If the current supply is limited then you will see a faint blue light like in your photo.

E90 320d
Item number 120947994761 on ebay for anyone that wants some of these. (Not me selling them)

P.S Ryan I told you it was normal! :p

Black 200
It's. Because the interior light is transistor capacitor controlled , the led wont let the capacitor discharge fully so retains enough voltage to light it slightly until you turn off / switch to map light or lock the car from exterior the transistor collector and emmiter discharge the residual voltage

Megane R26
I had this this same problem as well when I first fitted, ended up soldering a resister in place and it solved the problem.