ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

intermittent not starting?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
my 172 is intermittently not starting. happens not very often - but happens both when started from cold or after restartiing once being driven.

any ideas?

first thought is crank sensor as its quite common on renault engines, but not sure if it on these?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
happened again today. it cranks yeah, but then i turn it off quickly for fear of flooding the engine! i had this same problem with my old saxo vtr, changed battery and it was fine. leaves me wondering if its battery or crank sensor.

Lots of Alfas
I would put a bet on it being the tdc sensor, take it off and gently clean it with a rag and wd40 and see if there is any improvement.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
any ideas on how i can get to it? i presume it sits on top of the gearbox?

1.2 16v Dynamique.
Mine had the same fault and it was the battery. See if you can lend a one that starts a car up and if it does then bingo, get a new battery. If not then tdc sensor :)