ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPads

Audi
On the subject of cases can anyone recommend a case that has a shoulder strap. I'm in airports a lot and would like to have both hands free.

Alex

So payday has arrived.

I am looking at the iPad 2 3G. Can someone explain in brief how about I go about getting the 3G or how it works? My laptop is broke and research on the phone is killing me.

So when I buy offline from Apple do I then need to set up a contract with say Vodafone? Or can I go in a buy £10 worth whenever I need it.

Cheers.

Yeah, just buy it from Apple as normal.

For the 3G, it depends how much you intend to use it really. You can get contracts which work out fairly expensive but if you're going to be outside with it all the time then you'll need one.

Orange do a 'Sim Only' plan, which is 5.1p per MB capped at £40 per month. You just pay the bill monthly. It's good if you're not going to uses it outside often. The actual sim card is free.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/ipad/ipad-choose-your-plan#

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
So payday has arrived.

I am looking at the iPad 2 3G. Can someone explain in brief how about I go about getting the 3G or how it works? My laptop is broke and research on the phone is killing me.

So when I buy offline from Apple do I then need to set up a contract with say Vodafone? Or can I go in a buy £10 worth whenever I need it.

Cheers.

We personally bought a load of 3 mobile broadband sims, they come loaded with 3 months/3Gb (which ever is used up first) after which you're given the option to top up.

We just throw the sim away and use a new one. They were about 6 quid when we bought them, I think they're slightly more on eBay, but it's not a bad deal. They're full size sims, so need to be cut down to fit in the iPad, but that's easy enough to do.

I think t-mobile were doing a iPhone 4 pay and go sim which was something like 10 quid but then have you 12 months of data (500Mb/mo) - I don't know whether these are still usable in iPads, do a search.

Thanks Revs.

I wouldn't use it outside often so that sim deal sounds perfect. Do Orange get good coverage over the country or is there a better provider?

Thanking you.

Snoop can't you get a sim card adaptor for the normal size sim cards? This also sounds good as I could just buy one when it is needed.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Thanking you.

Snoop can't you get a sim card adaptor for the normal size sim cards? This also sounds good as I could just buy one when it is needed.

The sims are smaller in the iPad. You can buy sim cutters on eBay for a few quid, they usually come with adaptor trays so you can use the cut down sim as a normal sim if you need to.

The 3 sims are a bargain, i'd just buy a couple and you know you've got 6 months of mobile Internet in the bag, plus they only start their 3 month timeout when you use them, so you only need to activate it (put it in the iPad) when you're actually going to need it.

We actually got about 4 months out of one of ours, it seemed to keep on going and going!

Just make sure you buy the 3gb/3month mobile broadband Sim. They're all over eBay, and double check prices on different sellers because some are much cheaper than others.

Suzuki Jimny
Accidently spent 20 minutes playing with one in the Cardiff Apple store yesterday.

SRS want.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
TuneIn Radio is awesome on them, I know it's not iPad specific but I use it a lot on mine.

Battery life also seems very robust. I've been messing around most of the afternoon and still have 84% remaining. They are great devices. Holding The Internet in the palm of your hand, Steve said...he was right. Love it!

Lee

BMW M2C
I saved a good chunk of cash buying mine from Target while on holiday in Florida. The Apple store couldn't get any stock of the wifi models, but Target were getting them daily. I kept checking stock levels on the iPhone and grabbed 2. A 32gb with a smart cover came in at pretty much the same price as a 16gb with smart cover would in the UK. I grabbed a black 32gb and the misses had a 16gb white. I also picked up a new Nano for the gym!

We even popped in to the Apple store in Millenium Mall and got them both activated so we could use them while were there.

Can't fault it. Awesome bit of kit.

Last edited:
LOL don't flatter yourself!

I was saying WOW about my new iPad :D

They are amazing. Logic alone cannot justify them. They have to be used in the home, on the sofa, tucked up in bed, to fully realise why they are so nice to use.

LOL don't flatter yourself!

I was saying WOW about my new iPad :D

They are amazing. Logic alone cannot justify them. They have to be used in the home, on the sofa, tucked up in bed, to fully realise why they are so nice to use.

Haha yeah that's the reason I want one. My laptop is/was a pain to use on the couch and in bed. Can't wait until Sunday.

How long does it take to charge, set up etc before you can actually have a play?

Last edited:
Mine came with a charge of 88%. I charged it up to vMax via USB whilst I was syncing my shizznit over from iTunes. I've since run it all the way down to auto-shutoff, and am now recharging it fully. Calibration once a month is how I roll. Keeps my batteries in tip-top health. MPB 17" still has 96% capacity according to Coconut. Figure it makes sense to treat the iPad identically.

It does seem quite slow at charging, but the plus side is that the full charge seems to last forever. I reckon I easily had 10 full hours of browsing out of my first charge, and that included background music, both via the iPod, and from internet radio over WiFi. The ten hour claims are entirely realistic.

It charges far faster via a 3pin plug cable thingy than it does via USB on the computer.

Yeah I am noticing that now, but still pretty slow. Then again for 24 hours standby and 10 hours use on its first top-up charge, I think that's pretty impressive. Early signs are good. calibrating once a month and topping up normally at maybe 20% should keep it super healthy.

It charges far faster via a 3pin plug cable thingy than it does via USB on the computer.

Same with the phones.

Awesome piece of kit, still loving mine. Those areas and times are why they are so useful Roy. I caught up on TopGear in bed last night with it against my knees. The laptop would have been heavy, hot and awkward in comparison!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm guessing there are still limitations? Possibly the ease of selling stuff on ebay, or even playing pokerstars like I did last night?

Any disadvantages? Be honest.

Cupra
I've been using mine for work a lot recently. Taking notes in meetings and managing my "To-do" list on it with the Things app. Being able to access the works exchange mail on it is also a bonus as it gives me something to do when the meetings turn dull. Logmein to access my test machine from anywhere is also mega useful. Wouldn't want to be without it now.

Business case for them to be bought with company funds is now being written. :)

Gally, if you use them for what they are intended, they are impossible to beat. Downsides are that you lack the flexibility and power of a normal laptop, but I have a laptop/ desktop for that.

For instant-on entertainment, they are fantastic bits of kit. Even my two year old can use it. :)

I'm guessing there are still limitations? Possibly the ease of selling stuff on ebay, or even playing pokerstars like I did last night?

Any disadvantages? Be honest.

Ebay is easy, as there's an app.

Limitations... as far as I can see, apart from playing discs/DVDs that's it. So I just use Handbrake to convert the files that I want to MP4 format and transfer them across through iTunes.

Kev, you'll be amazed at how quickly it replaces the TV, iPhone and laptop.

Rav4
I've been using mine for work a lot recently. Taking notes in meetings and managing my "To-do" list on it with the Things app. Being able to access the works exchange mail on it is also a bonus as it gives me something to do when the meetings turn dull. Logmein to access my test machine from anywhere is also mega useful. Wouldn't want to be without it now.

Business case for them to be bought with company funds is now being written. :)

Gally, if you use them for what they are intended, they are impossible to beat. Downsides are that you lack the flexibility and power of a normal laptop, but I have a laptop/ desktop for that.

For instant-on entertainment, they are fantastic bits of kit. Even my two year old can use it. :)

Ah, a business case :)

So, how do you find it, in regards to keeping you organised and document management? Do you not think a normal notepad and paper could do the same?

Thinking of getting one, simply for trying to organise myself further, keeping all my research and notes in one place and watching the CBT's I buy.

Can't help but think that I would look like a plank on the train holding the thing up, or it being in it's stand.

Cupra
For meeting notes and minutes, very useful. Jot things down in the Notes app which syncs to MS Outlook notes. Half the work is already done.

For a to do list, I have always just used a notepad and scribbled endless notes and action points as my day goes on. I am struggling to replace that with my iPad, and it would be better if there was a native to do list which could also sync with the Exchange calender or tasks. Things is a good alternative but it is not quite everything I need it to be.

It is possible to edit office documents and things on it, but I just don't need that functionality TBH and I prefer the laptop with shortcut keys etc.

It doesn't really do anything better than a notepad and paper or give a huge amount of time saving, but it is the extras that you can do at the same time that make it worth it, such as firing off emails, taking over a remote machine for a quick test or to show a document, send yourself a network file/ presentation in the middle of a meeting that would be useful etc. We are now implementing Wifi access throughout the company meeting rooms and I am hoping that the network guys change their mind and allow the routers to be inside the firewall and grant access to the network shares etc. Having to use Logmein/ Teamviewer just seems a bit backward.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Ebay is easy, as there's an app.

Limitations... as far as I can see, apart from playing discs/DVDs that's it. So I just use Handbrake to convert the files that I want to MP4 format and transfer them across through iTunes.

Kev, you'll be amazed at how quickly it replaces the TV, iPhone and laptop.

No need to convert any video files, cinexplayer and avplayerhd play everything I have thrown at them

DCi
have apple managed to implement a 'mark all as read' function on the ipad as it was always missing from the iphone? I dont see it but i might be being dim

DB.

BMW 440i
My two friends have just bought one, very jealous atm, despite buying my iMac in a fortnight!

One thing they are both trying to do though is find good p**n sites as most don't allow flash lol!

One of them just facetimed the other two of us whilst having a poo, we are very mature tbh.

Ordered my iPad 2 the other day, should be here on the 2nd :approve: I hope it's worth upgrading from the 1st gen.