ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone 4S - Read post #1 before asking questions

Will you be buying an iPhone 4S

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
Re: iPhone Event - 4/10/2011 - Read post #1 before asking questions

lol your website say's different, says I can ring on friday ;)

ahh... thats Apple Online Store Team, not Retail... so yeh, everything should go smoothly for you... (provided you get thru on the phone...)

yeah it was demoed when iOS5 was first announced iirc

A silver one

Fantastic upgrade if you're looking to move from a 3GS. Will no doubt outsell the 4 in the next 12 months.

Definitely doesn't warrant an upgrade from my 4 unless the majority of iOS5 only works with the 4S (I think it works ok on the 4 according to people on here who have been using it for months right?).

I don't understand the quoted performance increases though? Up to 2x faster performance (not sure where the "A5 Chip x7 faster than iPhone 4" from the OP comes from?) on tasks? How is that possible? I tap on Safari and it launches instantly. I tap on Mail and it launches instantly. I tap on Calendar and it launches instantly. Will people actually see a difference? Then they mention up to 7x faster graphics performance, I have Infinity Blade and it never skips a beat. Flawless. Not sure how the graphics can be 7x faster. Will be nice to see a 4 and 4S running side by side for comparison.

iOS5 and iCloud are definitely the biggest updates for me.

No Facebook for iPad?

MY10 R35 GTR

you can upgrade to IOS5 on a standard iphone4, but I wonder if it will work aswell without the duel processor etc

DB.

BMW 440i

So can you phone orange and agree a new contract with them on Friday, or is this not decided yet?

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)

oh, and forgot to say... big respect to Revels for doing the first post... you know your stuff pal! ;)

2.2 bar shed.

£400 for a minter, see my for sale thread ;)

No one was interested in buying mine for 310 quid from here in the end 2 weeks ago. I genuinely dont see it selling for £400...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i f**king did it not him.

me: got ipods to do yet too
Tom: no ipods today
just iphone
Tom: ok
you win
c**t
me: I'm more Apple than you

Thanks.

Definitely doesn't warrant an upgrade from my 4 unless the majority of iOS5 only works with the 4S (I think it works ok on the 4 according to people on here who have been using it for months right?).

you can upgrade to IOS5 on a standard iphone4, but I wonder if it will work aswell without the duel processor etc

Working fine on my 4.

The only thing I'm yet to see clarification on is Siri.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I often wonder about the non Apple buyers, do they think "we" take offence to them buying a Galaxy or Htc?

No one cares. Buy what you want if you want. If you think it's better then great.

I'll wait until after realease then decide what to do. Fancied a White one actually.

BMW F31

ahh... thats Apple Online Store Team, not Retail... so yeh, everything should go smoothly for you... (provided you get thru on the phone...)

and you're sure you can do the 12 month tariffs via apple? sorry to ask just want to make sure ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i've just ordered a Galaxy S II because the clock on my oven is busted.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

No one was interested in buying mine for 310 quid from here in the end 2 weeks ago. I genuinely dont see it selling for £400...

Its testing the water really. I'll pop it on the works intranet tomorrow, stuff sells really well on there.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

I don't understand the quoted performance increases though? Up to 2x faster performance (not sure where the "A5 Chip x7 faster than iPhone 4" from the OP comes from?) on tasks? How is that possible? I tap on Safari and it launches instantly. I tap on Mail and it launches instantly. I tap on Calendar and it launches instantly. Will people actually see a difference?

Basically the A5 processor is dual core version of the A4 processor, give or take the CPU is the same, just with 2 cores. Think of it like having 2 A4 processors inside, simplistically you can say that you have up to 2 times the processing power. Realistically you don't, because you have to deal with threading & concurrency which means that only in the most ideal of situations will you be able to leverage the performance advantage.....it will be faster, but on average it won't be anywhere near the 2x max.

Then they mention up to 7x faster graphics performance, I have Infinity Blade and it never skips a beat. Flawless. Not sure how the graphics can be 7x faster. Will be nice to see a 4 and 4S running side by side for comparison.

The A4 & A5 processors are SOC, they include the CPU & graphics engine (plus a whole load of other stuff) in a single chip. The graphics engine in the A5 is substantially faster than the A4. So although infinity blade may run at a nice high frame rate, the next generation of games will be able to take advantage of the higher graphics performance to produce higher quality and better frame rates than is possible on the older SOC.

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)

and you're sure you can do the 12 month tariffs via apple? sorry to ask just want to make sure ;)

currently you can... i don't see why a ned piece of hardware would be any different.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi

Not sure if it's been mentioned but iOS 5 can now be downloaded without having a UDID registered as it's a GM release ...

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

I often wonder about the non Apple buyers, do they think "we" take offence to them buying a Galaxy or Htc?

No one cares. Buy what you want if you want. If you think it's better then great.

I'll wait until after realease then decide what to do. Fancied a White one actually.

It's all bizarre. Apple were once the choice for "Think Different".

Android users come in 2 flavours:

Mint Choc Chip(-on-shoulder), geeks who buy "android" because they want to "think different" and almost invariably describe anyone or anything apple related as "fanboi'.
Vanilla, those that have no idea what android is and who just purchased it because the nice man in the phone shop said it was a good phone.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi

I'm not posting as not sure it's allowed but check MacRumors ...

DB.

BMW 440i

What about macrumours? Not seeing anything out the ordinary?

Siri looks pretty cool, doubt it will work that smoothly though!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

You aren't allowed.

57 Clio Campus Sport

If I hadn't of sold my 4 I would keep it. The only part of iOS 5 that won't work on a 4 is Siri. They mainly had to upgrade to A5 just to run that, it's unlikely to make a noticeable difference in day to day use. May enable a few more intensive games to run but that's it.

Since I have sold the 4 I might as well get the S. £499 for the 16GB means £599 for 32GB and probably £699 or 799 for the 64GB. I'm guessing the 1080p will use it pretty quickly so might go for the 32 this time.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

What about macrumours? Not seeing anything out the ordinary?

Siri looks pretty cool, doubt it will work that smoothly though!

Reading some hands ons around the web and a video on the bbc website it looks like it is as smooth as they made out.

I am interested to see how it deals with an accent though, I can't even understand some scousers so not sure how Siri will.

Monaro VXR

Will be upgrading, need a 64GB. Now the decision black or white. White will seem different, but I still think the black looks classier.

Citroen DS3 DSport

I think the iPhone 4 32gb was £620 so possibly the same for the 4S. Not sure I'll bother with the upgrade, £320 in addition to the cash Mazuma will give me doesn't seem like great value for a slight model revision.

BMW E46 330i Touring

It's all bizarre. Apple were once the choice for "Think Different".

Android users come in 2 flavours:

Mint Choc Chip(-on-shoulder), geeks who buy "android" because they want to "think different" and almost invariably describe anyone or anything apple related as "fanboi'.
Vanilla, those that have no idea what android is and who just purchased it because the nice man in the phone shop said it was a good phone.

I'm an iPhone 4 owner but have to say there is a 3rd classification of person who wants a decent smartphone without the crazy monthly outlay. My upgrade is due next month ad I'm absolutely going on Simplicity because I'm sick of seeing so much money leave my account every month for the privilege of using a phone.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Siri is 4S only 10000%

(Because i have the GM on my iPhone 4)

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi

Siri does look cool, but I can see people getting into an argument with their iPhone and potentially throwing it across the room.

Maybe that's why they've released Apple Care+ ?!

DB.

BMW 440i

Im going Black, will looks smoother with the car dash. :cool:

Black hides wear more as well from previous experiences!

Clio Mk2 Phase 1

I wonder what the amount of RAM will be. I sure hope it's 1GB.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member

So whats the best way to get this through Voda on 12/18 month contract on launch day? My current contract is over already?

Never had a new phone on launch day before

Scirocco 2.0 tsi

I can't make my mind up on Siri, it will either revolutionise how you use your phone or be a gimmick you use a couple of times then never use again (like facetime, how many of you regularly use it? Think i've used it twice in a year)

I can't make my mind up on Siri, it will either revolutionise how you use your phone or be a gimmick you use a couple of times then never use again (like facetime, how many of you regularly use it? Think i've used it twice in a year)

The latter and ditto on FaceTime.

2.2 bar shed.

Didnt use facetime at all, used skype with the front camera a fair bit though. That and you can skype on 3G, unlike facetime...

57 Clio Campus Sport

Imagine all the people texting on public transport using Siri lol

Edit: Probably won't have a 4S if on a bus.

2.2 bar shed.

Imagine all the people texting on public transport using Siri lol

Dont get me f**king started. I hate c***s talking loudly on public transport as is. Add this into the mix and Apple are making my life a living hell! :p