ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5 contracts?

350z GT
Hi guys

Anybody able to tell me the best network to offer me the following:

Unlimited data
unlimited texts
not fussed by amount of minutes

Obv I will have to pay for the phone but less is better

Im a long time customer with O2 so they may offer me a better deal than most if I threaten to leave

Ta for any replies :)

'14 Touareg, '14 GTi
3 look pretty good. I did pre-order with t-mobile but they cancelled on me?!
i am currently with O2 and will be leaving

350z GT
Yeah just looked at 3...price is good with the phone cost
Not unlimited texts but a good amount still.

Coverage any good?

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
The coverage is awful from 3. That's why their contracts seem to be good. I no a few people who used to be with them, and they all said the same thing.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
o2 offer unlimited calls, texts and 1gb of data for £36 a month with a phone price of £99. 16gb version.

work for BMW
I just got one on 3 and no regrets. Very good prices and signal is fine. The 3G is faster then my Vodafone on iPhone 4

Threes ultimate internet 300 tarif on 24m at £35pm and handset £139 (32gb) looks the best for me so far, so 3 are ok or terrible as a network?

Edit: just seen Alex's post, I will hold on for a bit if theres a change of networks dropping to 18/12m soon?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I went 02.

36 per month x 24.
200 for the 32gb iPhone.
Unlimited usage.

Ph 1 172
if you live in a big city or town three are fine i had no issues. the second i went near a field no signal what so ever or if i went in a building lol

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I get better reception with 3 than any of my colleagues do on Voda/Orange. People that say they have overall bad coverage are talking nonsense tbh.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Tesco's seem decent tbh. I'm going to go with one of their 12 month deals when I finally bite the bullet.

You think?

£400 for a 16GB phone, then £30 for 500/5000/1GB

The price is so close to sim free you might aswell do that, and then get a cheap sim only from three/giff gaff

You think?

£400 for a 16GB phone, then £30 for 500/5000/1GB

The price is so close to sim free you might aswell do that, and then get a cheap sim only from three/giff gaff
Hassle changing networks again though.

Quick sum for the year:
£400 phone
£30 x 12 = £360
Total cost = £760
(Minus the cost of selling my 4 ~ £170ish?! Id say £600 for the total cost of the contract)

Sum for keeping my current Tesco rolling contract (£15pm - 500mins/5000texts/1GBdata - Although, if I tie myself in for 3months, it becomes cheaper iirc EDIT: I could tie myself in for a year and get a deal good enough for me for £10pm):
£520 phone
£15 x 12 = £180
Total cost = £700
(Again minus the cost of selling my 4)

So yeah, you're right. Ill just buy a 5 outright from Apple. I may just wait to see if they do the 0% finance over Christmas though, as I don't want £500 going out my account atm.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Depending how many mins/data you need, mine works out at:

£520 phone
£6.90 x 12 = £82.80 (200 mins/5000 texts/500MB) - £50 Quidco = £32.80

Total cost - £552.80 :)

Most might need more data though, depends how much of your time is spent close to wifi.

Tbh, 200 probably suffices for me. I doubt that I hardly even touch the texts since iMessage came into play aswell.

Most of the time, i'm on wifi too. I doubt that I hardly touch my 1GB limit.

Ill roll with the Tesco £10p/m deal I think and get the 5 in a month or so, after i've paid off a few things.
Really cba with changing networks again, just for the sake of a few pennies. Id get more than value for money for a tenner anyway.

Focus ST-3
DO NOT GO WITH 3!!!!

2 years ago I paid 3 £185 to end my contract early with them as they are a bunch of incapable pricks.

The customer service is nonexistant, I never spoke to a brittish person once and all 3 handsets i had fell to bits (ive never had a problem with any other provider, may just be coincidence). I was with O2 before i went to 3 and I wish i never left (back with them now)

Renaultsport Clio 182
529 for 16gb iPhone 5

giff gaff £10pm 250 mins / unlimited txt / unlimited data
base it on 24 month contract to compare is £240 which is total of £769

(get interest free credit card on purchases to spread cost of phone over 12-15 months if needs be) job done

Listerine & Poledo
The customer service is nonexistant, I never spoke to a brittish person once

Oh you lot don't even know you're born.

If we roll back the clock to when we had 100% Uk call centres and customer services that you could contact then the companies will have to roll back their pricing.

50p a minute x-network?
100 on-net landline minutes
12p per sms
£1 per MB

£25 per month.

Pays your money, takes your choice. And the nation decided it wanted cheap, so that's what we're all saddled with

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I've had a look what it would cost me to upgrade and its cheaper than I thought.

£529 for the handset, £150 ish trade in for my 4 = £379

giffgaff £10 a month goodybag for 12 months = £120.

Total cost for 12 months = £499.

Audi A5
Depending how many mins/data you need, mine works out at:

£520 phone
£6.90 x 12 = £82.80 (200 mins/5000 texts/500MB) - £50 Quidco = £32.80

Total cost - £552.80 :)

Most might need more data though, depends how much of your time is spent close to wifi.

What sim only deal is that?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The giffgaff method is definitely the way to go if you can afford the iPhone upfront. The fact it's not a contract and you can just change month by month depending how much you think you'll use. Unlimited data is unlimited too (unless you literally take the piss, there was a story on their forums about someone getting cut off without warning because they were suspected of tethering (over a gigabyte in a few hours of usage).

That said, I'm on 3 with my phone and love them because you're allowed to tether. I've done on average 1.3GB per month since I got the phone.

Renaultsport Clio 182
Is tethering actually any good if you're phone is not connected to wifi? Is a 3G or Edge signal sufficient for decent browsing on a laptop using your iPhone to tether?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Is tethering actually any good if you're phone is not connected to wifi? Is a 3G or Edge signal sufficient for decent browsing on a laptop using your iPhone to tether?

Yep.

I can get around 8 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up through 3G on three, on O2 it was about half that but still usable. When I used to take my laptop into work it was quicker to tether to my phone than to use the works wifi. Same went for college.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
The giffgaff method is definitely the way to go if you can afford the iPhone upfront. The fact it's not a contract and you can just change month by month depending how much you think you'll use. Unlimited data is unlimited too (unless you literally take the piss, there was a story on their forums about someone getting cut off without warning because they were suspected of tethering (over a gigabyte in a few hours of usage).

That said, I'm on 3 with my phone and love them because you're allowed to tether. I've done on average 1.3GB per month since I got the phone.

From November, giffgaff's pricing and data allowance will change.

Renaultsport Clio 182
Do you know what the new giff gaff tariffs will be? Also will everyone on giff gaff be subject to the new tariffs as they are not entered into a set contract period?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
The £10 goody bag now has a 1 gig data cap but tethering is allowed.

Also there is now a new £12 month goody bag, this is the same as the old £10 but it has unlimited data but tethering is not allowed.

Mondeo ST220
What are people's thoughts on this? Been with O2 for years now but don't want to be tied into a two year contract so have two options. Firstly I can sell my 32gb for £300 minimum.

Option 1.
Buy iPhone 5 for £599 sim free
O2 simplicity for 12 months. £20 a month for unlimited mins, texts and 1gb data.
Plus O2 have agreed to reduce my home phone and broadband from £22 a month to £13.

Option 2.
Switch to Vodafone, pay £359 for the phone.
£46 a month for 12 months for 600 mins, unlimited texts and 1gb data.
Broadband and home phone would obviously remain at £22 a month.

They both roughly cost the same over the twelve months when you factor in the reduction to my broadband and home phone too but it's just a lot to drop on a phone up front. I'm leaning towards option 1 at the moment.