ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

irratic idling and mid range flat spot

clio 172
hey, im curious as to what the hell is up with my clio. when ticking over the revs are all the place ie 600 - 2200rpm and when im driving it quite heavily it has a really big flat spot between and 3 and 4000rpm. my mate reckons the head gasket has gone but iv yet to do a leak test on it. any ideas from you guys? its done it since i bought the car off my brother but i got it v.cheap so wasnt really bothered about it

CLIO Iceberg 172
what fuel are you running, i found running on normal 95ron makes it do what you say above,
since switching to tesco 99ron (98 reconmended) all that has gone away and it runs like a dream,
if you arnt already try running a few tanks of 99

if that fails try changing your spark plugs

its deffently not your headgasket. you would see so much smoke behind and you would be constantly over heating and loosing oil

clio 172
theres no oil loss and no smoke. i havent really driven far to be honest so not sure about the over heating thing. i bought it off len_beach and he told me it did over heat but i put that down to an air block in the water system as it was leaking water from the thermostat-rad pipe. waters flowing nicely and it doesnt over heat when its been running for 10 minutes on tick over or until the fan kicks in. im going to do a leak test to be on the total safe side. how would the plugs effect the crazy idling though? its never runs lumpy, just crazy. i suppose if one plugs giving a better spark than the others then possibly but yeah il check them and keep you posted. thanks

CLIO Iceberg 172
wasted plugs can course loads of problems, it takes 10min to check so its worth just a look to rule it out, also might want to check that there are no leaks on any of the vac pipes, if the accustic valve has been removed but the small vac tube hasnt been sealed off it can course running problems too,
the biggist difference that iv ever noticed was the fuel types, running on 95 ment it has huge flat spots and was constantly down on power, running it on 99 has ironed this out completly

clio 172
wasted plugs can course loads of problems, it takes 10min to check so its worth just a look to rule it out, also might want to check that there are no leaks on any of the vac pipes, if the accustic valve has been removed but the small vac tube hasnt been sealed off it can course running problems too,
the biggist difference that iv ever noticed was the fuel types, running on 95 ment it has huge flat spots and was constantly down on power, running it on 99 has ironed this out completly
yep the acoustic valve has been removed so will check that out. not sure what fuel its running on, presumably 99 ron as my bro wanted as much power out of the old girl as possible. i see where your coming from with the plugs. what plugs are usually best for the 172? im going to replace them either way as iv found out its due a service. cheers