ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is fitting a limited slip diff really worth it?

Clio 172 cup
Hi all, kind of new to the forum but thought I'd make my first post!
Iv raced in the trackday trophy series this year in my clio 172 cup but need to shred some more seconds so wondering if anyone had much knowledge about limited slip differentials?
Don't really know a lot about them apart from the basic principle of them!
so what's the best make? (Heard quaife are quite good?)
how hard are they to fit?
Anywhere to get one cheaper than £1k?
Are are they really worth the money?!

Easily the single best modification to the clio you can do.

For racing the better option is a Gripper diff but needs servicing, however the Quaife is a fit and forget option but doesn't offer the amount of tractive grip that the Gripper does.

Nick

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hi all, kind of new to the forum but thought I'd make my first post!
Iv raced in the trackday trophy series this year in my clio 172 cup but need to shred some more seconds so wondering if anyone had much knowledge about limited slip differentials?

Few of us on here with them.

Don't really know a lot about them apart from the basic principle of them!
so what's the best make? (Heard quaife are quite good?)
For a competition car, stick to the gripper, in clios it works better than the quaiffe on a track.

how hard are they to fit?

Pain in the arse to get the gearbox out, then a pain to fit the diff.

Anywhere to get one cheaper than £1k?

I can put you in touch with someone who gets a bit of discount, but it wont be a lot sadly, 900 for quaiffe, cant remember for gripper as Ive bought a couple of quaiffes recently but no grippers.

Are are they really worth the money?!

If you are chasing times then yes, especially on a wet or very twisty track.

Change the final drive ratio at the same time too, it improves things too, as does the shorter fifth.

James Ashton has the complete gripper setup including different final drive and shorter fifth for sale.
Only done 4 hours in his race car.

(username:bigash on here)

Clio 172 cup
What do you mean the final drive ratio? Does that make every gear a bit shorter?
And will probably try and look at getting a gripper one then if anyone knows of where to get one cheap??;)

Clio 172 cup
Easily the single best modification to the clio you can do.

For racing the better option is a Gripper diff but needs servicing, however the Quaife is a fit and forget option but doesn't offer the amount of tractive grip that the Gripper does.

Nick

Sowhat needs servicing on them and does it have to be sent off? What sort of cost to service?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What do you mean the final drive ratio? Does that make every gear a bit shorter?

Yes, its called the final drive ratio, as its the final set of cogs that drive to the wheels goes through, basically the big cog on the diff itself and the smaller one that drives it.

And will probably try and look at getting a gripper one then if anyone knows of where to get one cheap??;)
You wont get one cheap, you might just about manage to score one a couple hundred quid less if someone bought one then decided not to fit it or something, but they hold their money REALLY well, so forget it if you think you will get even a well used secondhand one for half the new money.

When pricing the gripper as well you need to allow for machining costs to get your crownwheel onto it if you dont but one with a different final drive setup.

As I said, James Ashton is selling the whole lot ready to go, its not "cheap" but its cheaper than buying new, so if you are serious go for that.

182cup & 172 racecar
BIGASH

ClioSport Club Member

FOR SALE:

I'm selling my Gripper diff which comes with a 13/60 Crown wheel and pinion final drive. New from gripper they cost £1572. Mine has done 4 hours use so like new. Only for sale as I had a casing crack and I then found a replacement box. Was going to hold onto this one as a spare but I am really happy with the new box and can't be holding £1k+ spares.

Price is £1250 delivered so a great saving on buying from Gripper :)

Also for sale is the shorter 33/37 5th gear which I'm wanting £85 delivered for :) I won't sell the 5th gear until the diff has sold as if it doesn't sell I'll be building it into my spare box.

Thanks
James

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sowhat needs servicing on them and does it have to be sent off? What sort of cost to service?

Is it just a competition car or a road car too?

If its a road car you will have to send off fairly often, if its a competition car only then you will manage quite a few seaons, and its gearbox out and stripped to get at it every time, which is not a pleasant job really on a clio, its not like some other boxes like an F20 vauxhall where you can have it out of the box in half an hour on the drive with the box still in the car.

Clio 172 cup
Yes, its called the final drive ratio, as its the final set of cogs that drive to the wheels goes through, basically the big cog on the diff itself and the smaller one that drives it.

You wont get one cheap, you might just about manage to score one a couple hundred quid less if someone bought one then decided not to fit it or something, but they hold their money REALLY well, so forget it if you think you will get even a well used secondhand one for half the new money.

When pricing the gripper as well you need to allow for machining costs to get your crownwheel onto it if you dont but one with a different final drive setup.

As I said, James Ashton is selling the whole lot ready to go, its not "cheap" but its cheaper than buying new, so if you are serious go for that.

Right just messaged him! What sort of price do you think he wants??

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Right just messaged him! What sort of price do you think he wants??

Tony has quoted his reply above, he is after just over 1300 quid for everything you need to make your car significantly better on track.

On top of that you have to remove and refit the box (so a couple hundred if you have to pay someone to do it for you), and have the diff built into it, budget a few hundred for that too.

If you want someone to fit it for you, basically its 2 grand gone even buying James's setup secondhand.

And like I said, if its a road car too, not ideal really with a gripper longer term, or is yours just competition anyway?

Clio 172 cup
Right I'm very interested in Tony's...
Yes it's just for competition use, never used on the road, and can get the engine and gearbox out in 40 minutes so that's the easy bit...
im looking at getting a new gearbox any way as I think my synchro is gone as it seems to crunch between 3rd-4th.(if anyone's got a gearbox for sale?;)
I'm a bit confused of how it fits in... Do you just take the gearbox to pieces and fit the diff in? Anywhere anyone knows where would fit it in the gearbox for me fora half decent price? As you can tell I'm on a budget seeing as I'm only 20 and an apprentice :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Agency transmisisons only charge a few hundred for a full rebuild of your box including fitting the diff.