ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it possible?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Hi,

Is it possible to swap the OBD port over? I'm having issues with something in mine and I am unable to connect to it. When I took it for mapping I was told something is back feeding it but after that it means nothing to me, don't even know where to start to sort the problem. Tried a new ecu and that did not solve it.

So I wondered could I rob an OBD port from another Clio and swap them over, or is part of the entire loom etc.

Any help would be great, engine light is doing my head in as I can't clear it and if any other faults occur in the future I can't scan it :(

Thanks

Ben

Well at the end of the day, it's just a plug with a number of wire going into it. There's no reason why without care, patience and a steady hand, you can't remove the wires from the existing port, and meticulously reattach/solder/whatever so the new port.

If might be worth your while going to a scrappy and getting one spare, with a good length of wire still on it, so you can work out the best way to remove and reattach the wires before butchering your own.
You could in theory, with extra wire, insualiting tape anda crimper, relocate your obd port elsewhere.

However if there's rogue signal getting to it somewhere further down the line, changing the port itself isn't going to help you.
I'm sure if you were determined enough to follow the wires back to the ecu, you could probably splice a port in in the engine bay, right at the ecu. Wouldn't recommend it though. Every second you rest your eyes on a renault loom, the more it deteriorates.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
If it's being back fed doens't that mean that last OBD device wasn't disconnected and just yanked out? meaning can be bad.

Give the port and wires a good wobble. Mine wouldn't connect to the code reader or rstuner. A good wobble sorted it though.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Physically wouldn't connect into the port, or not connecting on your laptop?

It wont connect to the software, talk to the ecu etc.

Have tried various diagnostic tools including genuine clip and all fail to communicate.

Maybe will try giving it a wiggle but doubt that will work ha.

Paul at RS Tuning showed me some device that told him it was getting a signal from somewhere which is what was stopping me connecting to it.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
It wont connect to the software, talk to the ecu etc.

Have tried various diagnostic tools including genuine clip and all fail to communicate.

Maybe will try giving it a wiggle but doubt that will work ha.

Paul at RS Tuning showed me some device that told him it was getting a signal from somewhere which is what was stopping me connecting to it.

Oh right, the issue is the first thing that Fastship say, always disconnect before removal and make sure it is, you've left the communication open, ECU could actually be damaged ( the guide here also says this ) my advice would be to contact Henk to ask him, it's his device and software so only he can tell you how to reverse it, I'd guess at disconnecting battery for a bit and see if it resets but might not work.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Doubt that will work tbh, the battery has been off numerous times, tried a new ecu also and that did not solve it.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Contact Henk dude, another ECU will not work as they lock to the original ECU info, that will just make it worse.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Contact Henk dude, another ECU will not work as they lock to the original ECU info, that will just make it worse.

Do they? Paul just grabbed one of his various spares, plugged it in, switched ignition on and tried to communicate with that one and it just did the same thing.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Ah yeah I understand I couldn't of just drove home with it once it was plugged but I assumed he could of talked to the ecu through my obd port.

Sounds like I'm just going to have to trace all the wires and possibly look for a fault on one somewhere......

182 trackday racer
I have exactly the same problem with my 1,6 16v, to pass MOT they need to connect, so I have a bit of a problem. My mate work as a Renault mechanic and he told med to:

1. With a multimeter check that OBD connector pin 1 and 16 both get 12v with the ignition on. Check that pin 4 and 5 both give ground.

2 . If one of the above is not ok, check all fuses.

3. If all fuses are ok you need to measure up all the leads from OBD to fusebox.

4. If everything on No1 checks out ok but you are still not able to connect you have a real problem. TBC if I get there