ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my gearbox likely to fall out?

Hello all, started a thread earlier about some knocking that was still apparent after having my dog bone mount done. Established that it's likely the upper gear box mount needs doing, however what i'm wondering is that because the knocking noise is considerably louder and more frequent this time (it really doesnt sound healthy) is it possible/likely that my gearbox could actually fall out? On bouncy roads the knocking sounds hurrendous almost like the gearbox is actually going to fall out...anyone had this happen? Thoughts please..

I see, so bearing in mind that i've just had the dog bone mount done, I assume that will hold it regardless if the upper mount totally fails, and the knocking noise sounds really bad? Thanks for your reply.

I managed to snap the upper gear box mount a while back the gearbox dropped onto the sub frame and I could only select second gear. I had to limp home it made the car vibrate very badly.

I managed to snap the upper gear box mount a while back the gearbox dropped onto the sub frame and I could only select second gear. I had to limp home it made the car vibrate very badly.

Ouch! this is specifically what i'm worried about, in that case i'm going to get this done tomorrow hopefully. Thanks for your reply.

Westy. MX5
It not necessarily the rubber mount that is at fault, the stud that screws into the top of the gearbox and up through the centre of the mount can come loose, as it was on mine

It not necessarily the rubber mount that is at fault, the stud that screws into the top of the gearbox and up through the centre of the mount can come loose, as it was on mine

Did it come loose after fitting a powerflex dog bone mount? I'm just thinking it could be due to the extra vibration the powerflex mount produces...

Westy. MX5
No, it was loose with the original mount, probably been untouched since the car was built. Also changed the mount to the oe one whilst it was all apart. To make sure it doesn't come loose again I used threadlock when screwing the stud back into the gearbox.

No, it was loose with the original mount, probably been untouched since the car was built. Also changed the mount to the oe one whilst it was all apart. To make sure it doesn't come loose again I used threadlock when screwing the stud back into the gearbox.

Oh ok good idea, i'll grab some loctite thread locking solution from my uni as our race team is sponsored :)