ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this a familiar sight?

Clio sport 182
Billy bargain!!

I appreciate your help lads. How easy is it to remove the engine can I leave the subframe in? Or does it need to come out to remove everything.

I'd imagine I can remove the engine and box through the top with everything bolted on?

Am I right in saying both 182 and 172 engine are the same bar exhaust manifolds? So a 172 lump will run as a 182 with the 182
Manifold?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I appreciate your help lads. How easy is it to remove the engine can I leave the subframe in? Or does it need to come out to remove everything.

I'd imagine I can remove the engine and box through the top with everything bolted on?

Am I right in saying both 182 and 172 engine are the same bar exhaust manifolds? So a 172 lump will run as a 182 with the 182
Manifold?
Unplug the loom, undo the exhaust manifold, pull the shafts out the box, undo engine mounts, drop the coolant and heave!! Lol! Bit of a wiggle and out it'll come as one. You can leave the subframe behind doing it from out the top.

172 and 182 engines are essentially the same mate yes, but the 172 engine has a few different connections for the vacuum canister and brake servo. This is something you'd need to get around, but not a big drama.

Clio sport 182
Unplug the loom, undo the exhaust manifold, pull the shafts out the box, undo engine mounts, drop the coolant and heave!! Lol! Bit of a wiggle and out it'll come as one. You can leave the subframe behind doing it from out the top.

172 and 182 engines are essentially the same mate yes, but the 172 engine has a few different connections for the vacuum canister and brake servo. This is something you'd need to get around, but not a big drama.

What do I need to get around it? Just so I know will the 172 run the same as 182 power wise with 182 manifold and ECU

330i. E30 Touring.
What do I need to get around it? Just so I know will the 172 run the same as 182 power wise with 182 manifold and ECU

Change the breather plate from the top of the engines over, use your 182 upper inlet. Done. Ten mins work.

Clio sport 182
Thanks.
Change the breather plate from the top of the engines over, use your 182 upper inlet. Done. Ten mins work.

Just a little update. I've turned it over I can feel the cams rotating and the timing belt so I guess somthing has went bang.

Clio sport 182
You can't swap the breather plates over mate as they're different on the 172 to 182.

How can you modify it to fit?

Look at this photo this 172 is £650 it has 87k on clock. But read engine problem. Is it worth it?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 36
  Clio sport 182
You can't modify it mate. The plate that is!

The misfire could be a duff injector or lambda as the other stuff has been replaced reading that.

Think it's worth getting for the engine?? Surely the engine will be fine? And I can change injectors over? Do they need re coded?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Think it's worth getting for the engine?? Surely the engine will be fine? And I can change injectors over? Do they need re coded?
Replied in the pm mate, but no the injectors aren't coded. Buying the complete car to carry out a swap over is a very easy way to do it as you'll have everything you're likely to need at your disposal.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Just a little update. I've turned it over I can feel the cams rotating and the timing belt so I guess somthing has went bang.

If the cams are moving with the belt then that doesnt mean anything is amiss

Rs200t lux
Defo fit a new box and engine after going into second instead of forth
All mechanicals would have been spun at over 10k by the driven wheels
Pictures are from a ctr that I changed into 2nd when going from 5th to 6th but got 2nd instead
Don't take a chance and change both box and engine
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Clio sport 182
Rebuild? Sounds like a lot of hassle.
I'd just be dropping a 2nd hand lump and refurbished box in over a weekend if you think the car is worth saving.

2nd hand bits like this always appear on the forum, or just go on one of the many RS Facebook groups and find what you need there. You can often find engines with the belts done too.