ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this a normal sounding 182 engine? *Video*

I am ultra paranoid when it comes to knocks, creaks on my car.

My 182 has recently started making a sort of faint click,clunk noise it could be pretty normal for these 'well made cars.' :)

The belts were changed in march of this year.

Video is of the engine slightly warmed up in idle.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Well thats the thing the previous owner had changed the belts ( not personally of course )

Edit: I checked the receipts and dephaser is stated no where :(

The car drives well and sounds good when revved up no creaks/clicks/clunks its just when its idling like that in the video.

Last edited:
  Clio 182
Well thats the thing the previous owner had changed the belts ( not personally of course )

Edit: I checked the receipts and dephaser is stated no where :(

The car drives well and sounds good when revved up no creaks/clicks/clunks its just when its idling like that in the video.

Just found out exactly the same thing about the 182 I picked up around three weeks ago :( the previous owner/garage had just taken it in to a normal garage so they've just done a normal belt change. Luckily mines not getting loud yet so I'll hold off getting the work down for a while - still gutted though

Clio 172
Same thing with me, I shoulda listened to it when I bought it as the belts were done a couple months back but no dephaser, but nope I didn't and bang. £650 for all the belts and a dephaser.

Doh.

Clio 182
Serious tech-noob question: Does the dephaser need changed? Or is it just a noise thing? Reason for asking being that Ford TDCi engines used to get a rattly idler but it never did anything other than make a noise when at tick-over

Same thing with me, I shoulda listened to it when I bought it as the belts were done a couple months back but no dephaser, but nope I didn't and bang. £650 for all the belts and a dephaser.

Doh.

I'm going to have nightmares now, cause either way it will cost multiple £100 notes to fix now or fix if it goes Bang.

But to be honest its hardly noticable I have just been very keen to listen to the engine every time I turn the key since reading some horror stories.

I am in the same boat Mark, not mechanically minded whatsoever but I assume it would have been logical to change the dephaser at the same times as the belts.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I was allways led to believe aslong as its serviced properly/on time then the dephaser should be okay. Neglect is what causes it too f%^k up.