ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this engine mount knackered

I am getting the odd noise when changing gear at high revs, and the gearstick on the car does a bit of a forward/backward wobble when starting up and when lifting off the accelerator.

I have checked the dog bone mount under the car and it *looks* perfectly ok, I had a look at this and there are gaps between the rubber and the metal outer of about 5mm front and rear.

Is it knackered?

P1040265.gif

P1040272.gif

It does a bit, not enough for the rubbers to touch though.

I haven't yet checked the mount on top of the gearbox, but I am planning on doing that soon.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
mounts are not cheap from renault, i had a 172 which knocked like yours years ago but cant remember which mount it was,lower engine mount rings a bell though m8

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Top mount from GSF for the kangoo van will fit the clio. Stiffer as well.
£55

Genuine Dogbone mount is £45 from renault.

Genuine gearbox top mount is £15 on ebay

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
The dog bone mount can look perfect but be as soft as chewing gum,
for the price of a new one you can buy Powerflex bushes that won't wear out as quick.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The engine needs to be able to move a bit, otherwise things will break (more than normal)

But if there's banging going on, it's normally down to worn out mounts. Replace all three and you'll not have to worry again for a long time.

Thanks for the help everyone.

As the car is likely to be a keeper for a while I will most likely just bite the bullet and get them done.
I have seen standard dog bone mounts for £14 all in on ebay are those any good?

The power flex option does look tempting, but the last thing the car needs is less refinement and more vibrations. :smile:

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
It didn't cause vibrations in mine and budget mounts usually go wrong with a month,
even my uprated engine mounts which people say are unbearable didn't cause any extra vibrations in mine.

The dog bone on ebay is £11 + Postage and is a genuine Renault.

It doesn't look too difficult to change either.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I've heard loads of people make out they vibrate like a rampant rabbit, I noticed nothing at all other than the manifold clunk disappearing.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Same here Dave. People made out like it was some teeth chattering vibration. Fitted it and all I noticed was the improved gear change and general all round nicer feel

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I had the same thing with my K-Tec / Vibratechnics engine and gearbox mounts, from what people had said I was expecting a jack hammer under the bonnet, when in fact I felt nothing other than solid acceleration from a well secured drive train.

M2 Comp
That mount is definitely nackered mate.

My original mounts had done 100k and when I replaced them all the difference was incredible. You could replace them all for under £100 and it's an easy DIY job.

I am going to update on this.
The cheap genuine Dogbone mount listed above for the 1.2 Clio/Kangoo etc had bushes which were a lot softer than the ones originally on the car and it would allow the manifold to hit the subframe under acceleration, so despite what the advert says it isn't the correct one for the car IMO. Also the hole in the subframe end is bigger than on the original.
I have since fitted powerflex bushes to it and the car is much better. No real increase in vibration although the car does seem a bit noisier in the cabin at cruising speeds. If you hadn't been told about it though you wouldn't be able to tell apart from the better gear change and the fact there is no more banging. :)