ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Issue after fitting Brembo HC + DS2500

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Ok Fitted new Brembo HC Discs and DS2500 last weekend. Since doing this a handling / Braking issue has become apparent.

Back ground - The car is a 172 Cup, On KW V2 Coilovers, 27k miles on the clock, Pads needed fettling to fit the carriers as DS2500's seem to need.
Pads / Discs were bedded in correctly (Cycles of 60 - 20mph)

The issue I am getting is, when Braking hard (Say 70mph hard Brake to 30mph) the front of the car is Diving on the drivers side, I am not sure if this is just the front Brakes loading up and this is "normal" as previously I ran standard Renault Discs and Pads and you were lucky if you stopped at all. The 2nd part of the issue is at 70mph plus the front of the car seems to pull a small amount right to left as it it is tram lining, but this happens in all 70mph situations on a variety of Motorways and dual carriage ways.

I am fitting rear Renault Discs and DS2500 pads this weekend, and think I will have to strip off the fronts again for a look, but I cant see it being a pad stuck as surely the car would pull to one side at all speeds?

Maybe its just coincidence that I did the Brakes and its something else?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I'd say check that the pads are free to move in the calliper. Might need to file a bit more off, remember they expand when hot.

Thats a Good point actually, Had not thought of that.!

How "free" should the pads be in the Slider? When Cold I can put them in and they move freely, but I didnt take into account the "Heat Factor"

Lionel Richie
did you remove the pads shims? thin shiny metal things

the slider pins are the bit the wee 13mm bolts go into, you pull them out

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
did you remove the pads shims? thin shiny metal things

the slider pins are the bit the wee 13mm bolts go into, you pull them out

Ah I see, Did not grease them up... Will do that.

As for the Shims I presume that these are the Thin metal "brackets" that i think are made of Copper or something that sit at the top and bottom of the carrier?

If so No I didnt... Should i have?

Edit* these things? -

DSCF0387.jpg

If so they are still on.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Hang on... These things?

DSCF0378-1.jpg

If these I didnt Notice that there were any in there? Possibly stuck to the back of the old pads? Do i need them?

Lionel Richie
yeah they go in the bin (post 15) and you must file the ends of the pads down so you can move the pad vertically about 1mm in the carrier

i can 99% guarantee you have a binding issue

the plates in post 17 go in the bin too

"Navy" N17 TWO
I didn't have the plates either, then again I didn't have much pad when I went to change them lol :p

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Ah so thats where I went wrong i think!

i thought they were needed to hold the pads in... i will rip them off at the weekend and see who i go without them in! i presume there is a top and bottom one on each carrier?

i presume you just Pri them off with a Screw driver, then Copper slip the Carrier where the pads sit?

Lionel Richie
yup, but make sure you have a good 1mm of movement of the pads in the carrier, also make sure the spring on top of the pad is seated correctly

"Navy" N17 TWO
I didn't even put any copper grease near my carrier/caliper or pads at all this time after being advised it can run/splatter when the brakes are hot.

Haven't had any problems with them so far and the braking is fine - fairly sharp I may add :)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Out of Interest, the Shims are i presume in the carrier to allow them to run smoothly, when the shim is removed is the caliper where its case not rough causing the pads to stick?