ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It’s died

Spookyneil

ClioSport Club Member
so have just filled up with petrol and was driving back home, got about half a mile away gdomthe petrol station and my car died, no power steering was the first thing I realised (I was going around a round about). Thinking I’d just been a mong and stalled I turned everything off and on again but nothing, coasted to a safe place and again tried starting and nothing. It’s like my battery has died but was replaced 3 weeks ago so should be ok. And help would be awesome, thanks.

If no power whatsoever (not even immobiliser light?) then could be battery connections and/or earths?

If it was only replaced 3 weeks ago, the connectors might not have been fitted securely.

Spookyneil

ClioSport Club Member
Just got the car home thanks to the AA (only a 20 min wait and no horror stories!) and the aux belt has gone so that’s Monday’s job sorted. Fingers crossed it’s only the belt that’s gone and nothing more sinister, then it’s of to tget he garage to get the rest of the belts done. Thanks for all the replies, so much knowledge available here :)

Spookyneil

ClioSport Club Member
Tried starting it with a jump pack to get it on the drive and nothing but a click. It does look like the belts tangled around tho so hopefully it’s just that and not the cam belt too

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
You can pull the cover off of the engine mount and have a look to see if the cambelt is intact. I can't remember if the cover comes off without disconnecting the engine mount on the left hand side as you face the front of the car working on it, but you should be able to prop the engine from underneath if this is the case.

PH2 172
You can pull the cover off of the engine mount and have a look to see if the cambelt is intact. I can't remember if the cover comes off without disconnecting the engine mount on the left hand side as you face the front of the car working on it, but you should be able to prop the engine from underneath if this is the case.
Please don`t start this on the left as you look at it nonsense, that`s the top RIGHT HAND engine mount.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Chances are if the aux belt has gone it's taken the cambelt with it, or at least it'll have skipped a few teeth so when you next run the car, it's going to eat the valves.

Spookyneil

ClioSport Club Member
So had the cam cover off on Monday and the belt it still present! What state it’s in lower down I have no idea. it’s booked in to the garage next tuesday to have a look and hopefully get it back on the road. Been driving the girlfriends KA this week and my god do I miss the Clio!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So had the cam cover off on Monday and the belt it still present! What state it’s in lower down I have no idea. it’s booked in to the garage next tuesday to have a look and hopefully get it back on the road. Been driving the girlfriends KA this week and my god do I miss the Clio!
Have you taken the spark plugs out?

The cambelt pulleys are floating so they can slip

Spookyneil

ClioSport Club Member
well....... took it to the garage today.
The belts wrapped around the crank shaft which has put the cam belt out of sink and ultimately put the timing out and bent the valves = not a happy me. Quoted £2500 to fix it so obviously it’s not getting done (with them!)
Any ideas folks?
I love this little car and it’ll be sad to lose it but atm it’s looking like @JB21 was rite

You'll just be needing a different head which is much cheaper than a new engine if the timing has only slipped. Open it up and take it from there.

Or break it for parts and buy something chain driven and Jap.

This happened to my old 182 so I ended up buying another motor from eBay and getting a garage to fit it. The new engine was a good’un

BMW 320d SE
My engine dropped a valve on a track day. Ultimately it had a similar result - I needed a new engine. I picked up one on here from a 172 for £250 and had it fitted at Rentech for about £500, so way cheaper than a brand new engine.