ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

itb questions

ph2 172
im very intersted in some itbs, done some searching but didnt really find everthing so what sort of figures are people getting with them on? ie bhp/torque - list what other mods done and any quarter mile, 0-60 figures i wanna know them all!!

Cro

Meg'd r27
There are people out there running itbs with anything from 200 - 240bhp, depends on the spec. 200 being just standard bodies on their own.
Many go with cams to compliment the bodies and see figures around the 215 mark, again depends on how wild they go.
After reading alot of threads on them, I still am no wiser as to whether there is a prefered setup of cams + bodies.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Link to our car

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=364943

RSTuning23-12-081.jpg

The graph shows the results.

That is standard engine running 420 Group N cams(basically stock lift)

The car is very different to drive, than when standard.

ITBs are great for track, (not going to argue this again ;)) But you will never see there full capability on the road:).

Love our car the noise is awesome and the car pulls very well, should pull better by the end of the year though :eek:

106 GTI
ITBs are great for track, (not going to argue this again ;)) But you will never see there full capability on the road:).

Love our car the noise is awesome and the car pulls very well, should pull better by the end of the year though :eek:

Can you explain this? I thought you put your foot down and off you go? or as in on the road you come from a roundabout give it some welly and away you go?

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Can you explain this? I thought you put your foot down and off you go? or as in on the road you come from a roundabout give it some welly and away you go?

Ive explained it many times, had a discussion with a few of the meganesport lads last week at a meal about it.

Simple really, i had the 182 thought i was driving fast and on its limits, untill i went on track. I have never been in a situation on the road where i have needed more power.

Yes its fun going fast ect but with other road users about, dodgy road surfaces ect, you can never use the full potential of any fast car.

Yes putting your foot down and off you go fair enough, but you soon reach naughty road speeds.

It goes back to spending money to make a road car slightly faster just doesnt seem to make much sense to me anymore.

I have no problem with people doing it.

Qashcow
its not as big a gap as you would think on the road. i had quite a few plays with adeyspec and DanR who are both on itb's, yes theyre alot more responsive but not massivly faster.

admittadly im running 192bhp so not exactly standard myself (matched inlets etc) but adey was at about 205bhp without the cams, think we played after they were fitted too) when i played and in a similar state of interior trim.

since driving itb'd clios and having a play with these two, id be looking at super chargers and turbos rather than itb's BUT thats my opinion and obviously should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

the sound however....... mmmmmmmmmmm

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
im very intersted in some itbs, done some searching but didnt really find everthing so what sort of figures are people getting with them on? ie bhp/torque - list what other mods done and any quarter mile, 0-60 figures i wanna know them all!!

bit of a pointless question on here, you'll get the majority of responses from people who dont have and cant afford ITB's then just waffle on about rolling road figures. Best thing to do is contact the companies doing it and get a demo.

I think I'd rather save up a bit more and go down the forced induction route. Might cost a bit more, but the power increases are massively different than itbs :)

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
itbs and cams are the safer form of modding comparfed to the others out there (s/c and t/c)

Clio Sport 172 ITB
seeing i have done forced induction and N/A i have to say i prefer the drive in the ITB car on track compared to the turbo (dont know about superchargers). it depends if your chasing power figures or usability on a track tbh! that said i have a quaife on my car but the turbo clio didnt......

alien green rs133
turbo's often go wrong...

itb's give you gained performance across the whole range. and i cant see how they can go wrong

ITB'd MK1
Ive explained it many times, had a discussion with a few of the meganesport lads last week at a meal about it.

Simple really, i had the 182 thought i was driving fast and on its limits, untill i went on track. I have never been in a situation on the road where i have needed more power.

Yes its fun going fast ect but with other road users about, dodgy road surfaces ect, you can never use the full potential of any fast car.

Yes putting your foot down and off you go fair enough, but you soon reach naughty road speeds.

It goes back to spending money to make a road car slightly faster just doesnt seem to make much sense to me anymore.

I have no problem with people doing it.

Throttle bodies are about so much more than peak power. The extra torque EVERYWHERE and hugely improved response is what it's all about. I've never seen your car, but if you dont get that then i think there must be something wrong with it :S

alien green rs133
Throttle bodies are about so much more than peak power. The extra torque EVERYWHERE and hugely improved response is what it's all about. I've never seen your car, but if you dont get that then i think there must be something wrong with it :S

i have been in his track car, granted it does go alright. but it should, at the end of the day its a light clio on itb's with race suspension. i have never understood spending that kind of money solely on a track car, for me it would have to do both :eek:

imo itb's make a noisier, more responsive and aggressive drive :D perfect :D

hutchie

B/G 182 + PH1 Track

Our car pulls fine. all im saying is i have never felt that on the road i needed to go any quicker, i try not to put my self in those situations on the road.

Ofc you selling ITBs are going to say they are gods gift etc. And on track i agree they are great but as a road mod they do not justify the cost so the small gains you will see on a public road. but this goes for most engine mods for a road car (imo)

alien green rs133
Our car pulls fine. all im saying is i have never felt that on the road i needed to go any quicker, i try not to put my self in those situations on the road.

Ofc you selling ITBs are going to say they are gods gift etc. And on track i agree they are great but as a road mod they do not justify the cost so the small gains you will see on a public road. but this goes for most engine mods for a road car (imo)

if you dont need to go quick on the road why do you have a sport and not a 1.2???

330Ci Clubsport
a motorway sliplane usually leaves me wanting more power no matter what Im driving. 500-600 and 40mpg would be perfect :)

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
if you dont need to go quick on the road why do you have a sport and not a 1.2???

:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

Because i want a sport and love the RS's and my cars. The RS is exactly what i want in a car currently quick enough, has all the nice parts, has the power and speed i think is suitable for the public road. Cruises nice on the motorway, and is a car i enjoy.

I guess my view on cars have changed over the last 2 years. The same way that if i was to upgrade my car i would go for something like a megane RS or a Focus and with this you get a increase in power, but on the roads the differance isnt as grweat as it is on paper.

alien green rs133
:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

Because i want a sport and love the RS's and my cars. The RS is exactly what i want in a car currently quick enough, has all the nice parts, has the power and speed i think is suitable for the public road. Cruises nice on the motorway, and is a car i enjoy.

I guess my view on cars have changed over the last 2 years. The same way that if i was to upgrade my car i would go for something like a megane RS or a Focus and with this you get a increase in power, but on the roads the differance isnt as grweat as it is on paper.

so if i fitted cheap itb's onto a 1.6 to get near the power the standard rs has thats perfectly alright???

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
so if i fitted cheap itb's onto a 1.6 to get near the power the standard rs has thats perfectly alright???

If thats what you want to do yeh that fine. I really dont give a toss. But i know your like us in the sense you do the work yourself, and enjoy doing it as a challange. So you also have enjoyed it and learned things from doing it. ect. I know your reasons for doing the 1.6 and its fair game.

I know if my 182 had been a track/road car id have probalby had ITBs on it, cos they are great for track, but you never see full potential on the road. (and that my whole point really)

ITB'd MK1

I dont sell anything

Cro

Meg'd r27
Decent vid matt, yours was running 240 wasnt it? Passed the other rs's like they were 1.2s tbh

Sorry, but that is a load of absolute rubbish. ITB's make a massive difference in a straight line, so needing to go quicker and actually going quicker are two very different things. It sounds to me like your car is not running correctly is the gains are only small

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Sorry, but that is a load of absolute rubbish. ITB's make a massive difference in a straight line, so needing to go quicker and actually going quicker are two very different things. It sounds to me like your car is not running correctly is the gains are only small

Again you are missing the point.

Our ITBd car is a hell or alot faster than my road car. We have tried it. Our car is now 40BHP up on what it made standard, and runs sweet, never had any issuse with it. Many ppl have been in it on here and can tell you how fast it is.

Kwoning how quick the car is on track you can only ever use about 80% of its potential on the road. This is the point, you can spend what ever you like on a road car and still never see the full benefits of it on the public roads.

How hard is that to understand. Just to many pepole believe that they are able to drive like heros on the road.

Cro

Meg'd r27
What Bazzon is saying is you just wont see what the car can really do on the roads... like having a 1000bhp skyline, you just arent going to see what it can really do.

It does however still make a difference on the roads and the quickness of overtaking, getting up to speedlimit etc is what people will be able to notice.

Again you are missing the point.

Our ITBd car is a hell or alot faster than my road car. We have tried it. Our car is now 40BHP up on what it made standard, and runs sweet, never had any issuse with it. Many ppl have been in it on here and can tell you how fast it is.

Kwoning how quick the car is on track you can only ever use about 80% of its potential on the road. This is the point, you can spend what ever you like on a road car and still never see the full benefits of it on the public roads.

How hard is that to understand. Just to many pepole believe that they are able to drive like heros on the road.

Your posts on this matter almost incinuate that having itbs fitted will also make the car corner better and make little sense.

Talking purely engine power, then more power means more acceleration, if you can only use 80% of it then press the pedal all the way down. That's using 100% of the cars power and is hardly an act of heroism.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
What Bazzon is saying is you just wont see what the car can really do on the roads... like having a 1000bhp skyline, you just arent going to see what it can really do.

It does however still make a difference on the roads and the quickness of overtaking, getting up to speedlimit etc is what people will be able to notice.

Exactly,

And being able to get up to speed slightly quicker on the road ect seems like little gain for larger expense.

I dont doubt ITBs are a improvement, i love our ITBd car its great.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
With regards to filters, is it better to have individual socks or the other type? Cant for the life of me think what there called.

A filter box is better than socks.

But sock make it easier to get everying under the bonnet.

340i
You are better off having a "sausage" filter, one piece... IIRC there can be a good 2 -3 bhp difference between that and the individual socks!