ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd Road & Track Ph1 Titanium 172

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Ok so I haven't had much time to work on the car recently but a little time today got me this far...

Battery in new position, I've got a battery tray to modify to suit. It's wired straight to the starter wiring on the gearbox so it starts very well now. I need to get some alclad sheet to bolt the ecu to and then I'll bolt the sheet to the gearbox mount.
IMAG1922.jpg

New alternator turned up mid week and the pulley yesterday so here are the old and new.
IMAG1929.jpg

Measured for the new belt, shortest length was 850mm (alternator touching the crossmember) and longest was 890 (alternator touching the mount/block) so I've ordered an 858mm and 870mm belt to see which is best.
IMAG1930.jpg

When I removed the old alternator however I was greeted by this :( not impressed tbh, its sheared cleanly. I need to get onto Pure Motorsport as it shouldn't fail like that, only issue is they are out of stock.
IMAG1927.jpg

IMAG1928.jpg

And lastly, it looks as though the Ktec filter of death is starting to go, I've been keeping a close eye on it and it been ok but it seems like its time to replace it for a decent one now.
IMAG1919.jpg

My PMS bracket broke like that too. PMS replaced it for me as it was less than a year old from memory.

Any reason why you haven't gone for a light weight battery under the passenger seat or in the boot?

Get yourself a new filter man!!

RenaultSport 172
I bought a second hand PMS delete kit that had also broke like that. I had to buy a replacement bit.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
My PMS bracket broke like that too. PMS replaced it for me as it was less than a year old from memory.

Any reason why you haven't gone for a light weight battery under the passenger seat or in the boot?

Get yourself a new filter man!!
I've already got a lightweight battery under the seat. It weighs 6kg +2kg more cable weight. This one is 10kg. So it's still 3kg lighter than standard but only 2kg heavier than the lightweight battery. I gain an extra 22amp/hours and 130 cold crank amps. Which I will need with the astra PAS setup which needs an 80amp feed.

Many.
What does the alternator put out though? If that can't keep up, it means sod all what battery you have.
Sorry if you have already covered/thought about this, but a lot of people misunderstand battery/alternator/car electrics in general!

I've already got a lightweight battery under the seat. It weighs 6kg +2kg more cable weight. This one is 10kg. So it's still 3kg lighter than standard but only 2kg heavier than the lightweight battery. I gain an extra 22amp/hours and 130 cold crank amps. Which I will need with the astra PAS setup which needs an 80amp feed.
Ah ok fair enough mate :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
After buying several belt lengths I finally got one to fit perfectly with the PMS delete setup and a larger 80mm alternator pulley, its 905mm in length.
IMAG1938.jpg

I got my new harnesses fitted, they're nice and snug.
IMAG1937.jpg

So with that lot done I took it for a drive today without the PAS and without the top plug (see photo) connected, it was part of the ABS loom and I've removed the ABS so I guessed it was no longer needed. Everything works fine so I assume it is now redundant.
IMAG1920.jpg

As it felt ok to drive without the ABS I've decided not to fit the Astra pump and to get a DCI rack with the same amount of turns lock-lock. I'll completely remove the ABS and see how I get on at Oulton next month. If I feel it would benefit from assistance I'll do the EPAS column over winter.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Jist read all of this, really nice project you've got there Tom - credit to you.

Fester looked a nice bit of kit too. :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Picked up a refurbed EPAS rack. I thought it was a 3.25 turn rack but it turns out to be a 2.75!
IMAG1941.jpg

I replaced my 330mm Sabelt wheel with a 350mm Motacorsa wheel to help with steering effort. It's leather rather than suede so doesn't need as much looking after.
IMAG1940.jpg

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Good read as always this!

I've just removed the pas on my flamer, yet to drive it to see how hard it is though!

Cheers :)
It's not too bad parking, on the move you can feel what the car is doing a bit more. I had a mk2 Fiesta before the Clio though so no PAS is nothing new!

Great read Tom as always!

Do you have a part number for that alternator pulley? and also where is the returned rack from, I think mines developing some play.

KT

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Great read Tom as always!

Do you have a part number for that alternator pulley? and also where is the returned rack from, I think mines developing some play.

KT

I got the pulley from here : http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281470785919&alt=web

You need to get the alternator pulley spacers from the same shop, I used 8 of the 10 spacers to get it the same as standard : http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281476055349&alt=web

The rack was from this place http://autosteerdirect.co.uk/

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Epas rack was fitted, I took it to Buckley tyres today to set the toe back to 20 minutes toe out. Had a bit of fun on the drive back and it feels great, loads of feedback and not too heavy. The only obvious downside is parking but having had non-PAS cars before its no surprise.

Anyone who says you need PAS is clearly weak and feeble! The epas rack is easier to turn than a disconnected PAS rack, I assume that's as there is no fluid resistance.

I'm glad I got a 2.75 ratio epas rack, keeps the steering nice and quick. The engine revs up noticably better so I might get it on the rollers soon to see if I've gained any power.

Next track day is in 2 weeks, not much to do before then really apart from finish the battery bracket off. Plans for over the winter are more weight savings and get the cage from Mark Fish fitted.

Many.
Anyone who says you need PAS is clearly weak and feeble! The epas rack is easier to turn than a disconnected PAS rack, I assume that's as there is no fluid resistance.

I've always thought this too. Sounds like an ideal solution. Top job.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
How easy is fitting the epas Tom?
It's just the rack I've got fitted Oli, I assume you mean that.

Rather than drop the subframe I decided to cut the PAS pipes at the rack. Then you can pull it out from the driver's side.

As for putting the epas rack back in, it's smaller than the PAS rack so it slides in easily. I found the tie rods were the same length as the ones I had fitted (only cup ones are longer) so I didn't have to swap them over as I have longer adapters for the roll centre kit rod ends.

The rack bolts on differently so you just need to sort a suitable nut and bolt combination and then a new method of attaching the heatshield back in position.

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Don't suppose you have the Renault number the rack by any chance?

What else is needed for fitting an epas rack/non pas rack? I'd much rather have manual steering than hydraulic or electric.