ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jarvis483 phase2 172 build

ph2 clio 172
So the story starts as this. I am in my final year at university now and after a very short discussion with other lads on my course we have decided that to celebrate our university careers we are going on a road trip.

so the plan is to go to le-mans, departing England on June 12th. spend a weekend there, then on to Germany for a few days at the ring followed by a few days in Amsterdam before home.

good plan i hear you say? then i realised that i drove a 1.9tdi VW bora. this would not suffice. So i got my car up on swaps in the hope of finding something more worthy of a road trip.
on 13th Jan i drove from Oldham to Dudley and picked up my first clio sport 172 in exchange for my bora.

below are a few pictures i took on tuesday morning at uni :

IMG_00000720_zps4201d5ed.jpg

IMG_00000721_zpsebeb972d.jpg

IMG_00000723_zps16009cae.jpg

IMG_00000724_zps7d70d2ef.jpg

IMG_00000725_zps6f33f6dc.jpg

IMG_00000726_zpsf0a243db.jpg

IMG_00000727_zps12e765fd.jpg

now the car seems lovely and straight on the body work and even the interior is pretty clean. it does come with a few problems. what do we expect for a 12 your old car?

So it is lowered but as far as i can see it is not on coilovers but seems very low and the ride is VERY stiff. could these be ultra low springs?
It has a Ktec racing exhaust twinned with a miltek backbox.
A silly cheap cone filter sucking in all that lovely warm engine bay air ( thinking of either an enclosed filter or a standard airbox with panel filter to replace it)
Silly Ripspeed head unit with tiny dvd screen that doesnt even fit properly.
steering wheel is at a strange angle when the wheels face straight ahead.
Digital climate control only blows hot air.
electric mirror stalk is broken and window switches a bit loose.
cigarette lighter has intermittent connection.
Needs a good service and i may throw a cambelt on as a precaution.
also desperately needs engine mounts doing. The engine attempts to leave the engine bay if you rev it with the bonnet open so you can see it.

IMG_00000719_zpsecbc0fbf.jpg

Lovely headunit configuration.

IMG_00000718_zps98ac5810.jpg

This is the steering wheel position when the wheels are in a straight line....

thanks for reading and i will try to update this thread with my progress,

Cheers,

Jarvis

ph2 clio 172
So I took it over to my mechanic last night for him to run a fine tooth comb over my new motor. Turns out its been bodged in several areas......

It's running on cut springs. Who does that anymore!? So I have ordered asset of cheap pro sport -35mm low ring springs just to make the car safe to drive for now.

The dog bone mount has been replaced at some point, but the bolt hole on the block has been damaged. So had to clean the thread and use a much longer bolt to get purchase on the hole and make it a tight connection.

Exhaust has 2 blows, a hanger and rubber missing and a not so greatly sealed clamped joint from mid section to back box.

Needs new discs and pass all round

Track rod end

Bottom ball joint

Inner cv boot

A good proper service with all consumables and an aux belt.

The cambelt looks quite fresh but the cambelt cover itself is missing. Is this a sign that the cambelt has been done and broken the cover in the process?

So guys, have I bought a lemon?

ph2 clio 172
yeh i kinda dropped the ball a bit on this one. drove pretty well though on test drive etc but didnt know it was on cut springs.

i wasnt expecting a minter for a 51 plate tbh.

and by cambelt cover, i assumed there would be some kind of platic shrouding around the cambelt like on most cars? the top engine mount is still in place.

get these little bits sorted and should be a decent running drivers car.

ph2 clio 172
no that is all in place, i think i was mistaken about the missing cover..... you think that cone is bad Ant? should see the pathetic attempt of an induction kit on mine. waste energy whoever decided to fit it.

soon to be replaced hopefully.

CLIO 182
no that is all in place, i think i was mistaken about the missing cover..... you think that cone is bad Ant? should see the pathetic attempt of an induction kit on mine. waste energy whoever decided to fit it.

soon to be replaced hopefully.

There's like a life long debate on here about induction kits and cones etc personally IMO that's too close to the engine and quite a short pipe, which although can be considered negligible with the standard inlets on as that provides the length still.

I think at the end of the day the conclusion seems to be that the standard or ph1 airbox with panel filter is the best option, but either way its nothing short of an improvement compared with ITB's so just get what you think sits in the bay okay with preferably some form of CAF.

Ive got the dreaded KTEC one on lol at the end of the day i think it looks good lol probs does nothing for performance and it hasnt significantly lost any horsepower (maybe some torque but ive got 160) as its been for a power run and all is healthy!

so my conclusion lol unless you can afford ITBs standard airbox or if you want some noise an open cone like the KTEC one which is in the coldest part pf the bay.

just dont get one like this what ever you do lol

http://www.phil-barker.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IMG_5780.jpg

ph2 clio 172
yeh i think this debate is ongoing through all motoring forums really isnt it?

The one that is on mine is an old, small, metal gause cone that is filthy. its situated quite far forward in all honesty but still i dont think it will be doing much other than soaking up that warm engine bay air. i intend to get myself an enclosed filter and a CAF. there is one in particular i have my eye on produced by HeavySet. like 45 quid posted and real carbonfibre housing. Ill get a picture of the one thats on and the intended replacement soon.

CLIO 182
yeh i think this debate is ongoing through all motoring forums really isnt it?

The one that is on mine is an old, small, metal gause cone that is filthy. its situated quite far forward in all honesty but still i dont think it will be doing much other than soaking up that warm engine bay air. i intend to get myself an enclosed filter and a CAF. there is one in particular i have my eye on produced by HeavySet. like 45 quid posted and real carbonfibre housing. Ill get a picture of the one thats on and the intended replacement soon.

yeah probably mate

and sounds like a plan mate ;) get some pics of the bay too man

ph2 clio 172
@ welshname, im from chadderton

@ Jay.S i am technically classed as disabled at my university so get a disabled parking permit for on campus. i have arthritis in both hip joints.....

now for some more pictures! came home from university this evening to find a package on my bedroom floor.

IMG_00000734_zps3be753a3.jpg

IMG_00000735_zpsce0c472d.jpg

ready for installation ASAP and get rid of the dreadful cut springs. the handling is deffinately compromised by it, solid bouncy rear end is not good. these should rectify that, i hope.
and onto my lovely air filter set up (this was already done before i became the owner).

IMG_00000737_zps86c86835.jpg

and the piece of kit im looking at replacing it with.

CDAtypefilter_zpse269df84.jpg

more updates soon guys.

ph2 clio 172
Better with the standard filter back on, that kit is a waste of money.
even with the cold air feed? what sort of power would i be loosing with an enclosed filter as apposed to a standard air box, out of curiosity? i like the induction noise on the clio tbh.......

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The only aftermarket air filter setups that don't seriously affect performance are:
1) swapping to a ph1 setup
2) constructing something similar to the ktec setup which places the filter behind the passenger headlight. Very cheap to do compared to actually buying their kit. This method allows you to keep the induction noise from a the cone filter.

ph2 clio 172
The only aftermarket air filter setups that don't seriously affect performance are:
1) swapping to a ph1 setup
2) constructing something similar to the ktec setup which places the filter behind the passenger headlight. Very cheap to do compared to actually buying their kit. This method allows you to keep the induction noise from a the cone filter.
thanks for the info. i will have to have a look at the ktec set up and see if i can reproduce something similar. surely im not the only one that enjoys the induction noise? ha

ph2 clio 172
ah right okay i see, so literally 2x 90 degree bends to situate the filter directly behind the passenger headlight, looks good that azza_

ph2 clio 172
cool, even that works out at around the £100 mark, but i guess that is cheaper than the k-tec induction kit? the carbon box i posted before is only up for £40 quid ish posted.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
You could use your cone filter that's already on the car so eliminate £30 from the cost straight away.

The different between what you posted up and what Azza has is that Azza's had benefits, yours had none.

ph2 clio 172
very true, im up for listening to any hints and tips from people who already own a sport seeing as this is my 1st and not had her long. ive got to get the suspension and braking on point 1st (student budget) but then should be turning my hand to full service, induction, exhaust.

ph2 clio 172
well last night i got severl parts fitted, springs are now on. discs and pads all round, track rod end and bottom ball joint.

however, i was sent the wrong rear discs using the 22 teeth abs rings rather than the 44. so now my ABS light is on. they have agreed to supply the correct parts however so should have them swapped over soon. Another part im finding it hard to get a hold of though, is the drivers side inner cv joint. ive had about 6 ordered from different motor factors and they keep sending thwe wrong ones!?

i keep getting sent the usual cv joint sleeve type boots. but im sure the inner cv on the clio also has a metal cup attached to the rubber boot? if that makes sense? or am i wrong?

few pictures later to show you lot how dangerous the suspension was on this little clio before i fitted new springs........

ph2 clio 172
Slow progress from me atm from me im afraid, student budget and currently out of work.
I did however get the new springs fitted along with new discs and pads all round, bottom ball joint, track rod end and patched over the inner cv boot. just needs the wheels balancing and tracking doing now and should drive nicely. Everyone likes a few pictures so heres a few of my shiny parts:

This is how dangerous the previous springs were:
IMG_00000741_zps6d95937d.jpg

IMG_00000738_zpsdab4d1a3.jpg

Brakes:
IMG_00000740_zps1bd32fa5.jpg

IMG_00000743_zps5dc915a0.jpg

thanks for having a look through my thread. hopefully will have some more work done soon once ive got some more funds.
next on the list is the dreaded cambelt, dephaser, water pump and i am also doint the aux belt too. may aswel seeing as the work is being done anyway.

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Lovely start! Car looks mint, definitely tear out that Headunit though sounds like you'll have a good trip ahead of you too!

ph2 clio 172
Thanks nixonbradley, its a nice clean straight motor on the outside, just needs a fair bit of work doing mechanically etc.

they headunit has been replaced now thank god. usb aux cd and all that jazz. much better looking also. The trip should be awesome aslong as it all comes off and i have all the jobs i want doing on the clio done beforehand!