ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JC5 130 Gearbox speedo issue

Clio 182 Blue
Hi guys, just got myself another clio, this one is a 2002 CUP.

The speedo hasn't worked since I got it (£900 expected problems), I first thought the sensor may have been nicked by the previous owner. Now that i've taken note of the gearbox code I'm thinking this gearbox might not be compatible with the clio cup at all!

Does anybody know if there is a sensor that will work and fit the JC5 130 box?

I bought a sensor (£8 off ebay) plugged it into the loom and with a quick spin the speedo moves. There appears to be a hole at the back of the gearbox above the diff, that seems to match the contours of the sensor but it doesn't seem to go anywhere, and I can't see the bottom due to the angle, I'm assuming i should be looking for a square nylon hole that is sitting on the diff where this sensor would plug in..

I'll try and get a photo,

Any experience or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds like you have got the later box, you want a JC5 Ph1 089 instead, or a very early JC5 130 from a Ph2 that has a speed drive, or likewise from a cup.

The hole you describe is where the sender goes, but if you have a non sender box the hole doesnt go all the way through and there is no speedo drive ring inside the box to turn it.

330i. E30 Touring.
As above.

In short, you need a speedo drive box fitting if you want the speedo working, or just buy a cheap satnav and use the GPS speed on that.