ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JMS RS2 before and after results

im pleased with the way it drives feels alot more responsive and quicker through the lower rev range feels like I havnt got to keep the revs up all the time to make use of the power. But I would have like to have seen a touch over 190bhp.

I guess the true test will be when i get it out on track next month and see how it goes.

Long as your happy with it, I'm currently waiting to get my car booked in to get the rs2 fitted, mine is pretty much a standard cup so looking forward seeing the gains

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
i will need a few test cars, as we all know the dynacup has a freak engine, so its a bit unfair to base power "claims" on that engine LOL!

i'll be testing (Project M i'll call it) on the dynacup first to make sure there's no problems and its safe

Intrigued! Now I've decided to keep the clio I'm gonna have money to spend on it ;)

CBR1000RR Fireblade
in fact, if i only got 187hp for £1700 i think id be quite pissed off tbh. i have thought about it more and my 182 better be hitting that when it goes for mapping. for the RS2 you need an after market exhaust, i have an after market exhaust already so thats not included in the cost. so matched inlets = £250 + live mapping = £350ish, total = £600 and it will be 180 to 185hp.

rs2 = £1800 and you got 187hp?

option 1 for me please and ill have £1200 left over to spend on other things for the car.

Merc A class
i will need a few test cars, as we all know the dynacup has a freak engine, so its a bit unfair to base power "claims" on that engine LOL!

i'll be testing (Project M i'll call it) on the dynacup first to make sure there's no problems and its safe

You can pick the clio up next week then we can book on a track day the week after? ;)

Clio 172 RS2
http://www.performancetorque.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4375

£1,700 fully fitted and mapped
or £1300 in kit form

- Carbon Fiber & Anodized Aluminum Manifold
- SFS Silicon hose & turned Aluminum coupler
- Pipercross Filter Unit & DRS Filter Spray
- Anodized Coil Pack Mounts.
- Anodized Fuel Rail Mounts.
- Vibratechnics / KTR Uprated engine mounts (both)

The kit includes the following:

- Full car specific standard ECU remapping session at RSTuning Ltd.
- Full fitting costs (5 hours)

SRR%20mani.JPG

Yozz'd up 182
Why did that car respond so much better?

Ie i know cause it wasnt modded before but it has a higher figure at the end, what could cause this?

Stripped yozza'd cup
in fact, if i only got 187hp for £1700 i think id be quite pissed off tbh. i have thought about it more and my 182 better be hitting that when it goes for mapping. for the RS2 you need an after market exhaust, i have an after market exhaust already so thats not included in the cost. so matched inlets = £250 + live mapping = £350ish, total = £600 and it will be 180 to 185hp.

option 1 for me please and ill have £1200 left over to spend on other things for the car.

He has a 172 cup, not a 182. Read things properly before you make your decision. And the gains shown in the graphs are over Matched inlets, remap and Decat.... not too shabby at all IMO.

The gains vary massively because the F4R is such a random engine, some perform inexplicably much better than others.

If you're hoping for 185 hp just from a remap, prepare to be dissappointed. (probably). Do you know what your car is running standard?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
He has a 172 cup, not a 182. Read things properly before you make your decision. And the gains shown in the graphs are over Matched inlets, remap and Decat.... not too shabby at all IMO.

The gains vary massively because the F4R is such a random engine, some perform inexplicably much better than others.

If you're hoping for 185 hp just from a remap, prepare to be dissappointed. (probably). Do you know what your car is running standard?

I know he has a 172 and I have a 182. I also know my car isn't standard either. I also know I won be disappointed when my car goes for mapping.

Thanks for telling me things I already know, anything else to add?

Yozz'd up 182
Pretty sure ive read its not just that, and infact i remember one trader saying the 172 exhaust manifold is actually better at higher revs and flow.

Also Nicks car is a 172 and probably has the best RS2 results around.

Black 172 PH2
This forum seriously is full of mugs, chasing peak figures.
Ive been in a car with the RS2 fitted, and the difference really is night and day.
It has power through out the rev range, not just at the top end. it drives completely different.
My own car has matched inlets, v6 airbox, ktec exhaust with decat and a remap, and without doubt a car fitted with a RS2 is easily quicker.
People who think the RS2 is sh1t are just missing out to be honest, its a great piece of kit.

recaro'd 172 rep
172 has a 4-1 manifold which are the prefered choice for a cammed car making power high up the rev range. 421 is normally beter on a standard car

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Ive been in a car with the RS2 fitted, and the difference really is night and day.
It has power through out the rev range, not just at the top end. it drives completely different.
My own car has matched inlets, v6 airbox, ktec exhaust with decat and a remap, and without doubt a car fitted with a RS2 is easily quicker.
People who think the RS2 is sh1t are just missing out to be honest, its a great piece of kit.

i think most people in the thread agree with that, i am one of them. however i think the discussion has turned into gans vs cost. which is why i said what i did. after seeing the results of the RS2 fitted i have now decided against the purchase of this kit and i will be pushing the standard inlet and standard engine as far i can can reasonably take it instead.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
172 has a 4-1 manifold which are the prefered choice for a cammed car making power high up the rev range. 421 is normally beter on a standard car

from reading that statement i would recommend that you research pulse tuning, fluid's static and dynamic and friction factors. Exhaust design is not just as simple as that i am afraid.

^^^^ Definately each to there own, imo I think the rs2 is a great bit of kit for the money, I'm looking forward in seeing what it's like on my car in terms of performance and driving

aucky

ClioSport Club Member

Exactly. I've pretty much given up on defending it because people just want 3rpm's worth of peak power to boast about.

To quote Tony Hunter-
I have driven Nicks car in anger I can honestly say that the RS2 is superb,TBH it felt like ITB's,and I had to actually ask him what he had under the bonnet!!
I cannot compare it with our car as they are so different in every aspect,but I was impressed and told JMS so.

If you won't listen to him, who will you listen to?..
:boring:

Black 172 PH2
Exactly. I've pretty much given up on defending it because people just want 3rpm's worth of peak power to boast about.

I know how you feel.
as i said, the people who think the RS2 isn't any good are the ones missing out.

I have just taken the car out for a drive And i am very pleased with the results i dont think the figures show how different the car is.

Im glad i spent the money as i feel it was well worth it.

It would just have been nice to see 190 not that 3bhp really matters

Ph1

Yeah but every car is different. What he had previous and what he's gained as the end result is what matters.

Folk take RR figures as the be all and end all. Its easy to fall into that trap.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Yeah but every car is different. What he had previous and what he's gained as the end result is what matters.

Folk take RR figures as the be all and end all. Its easy to fall into that trap.

read my other posts.

HBT 172 Cup
Everyone sees the rs2 as bhp figures, it shouldn't be, it's the torque figure what makes the product what it is

And what torque figure is that then? The standard 147ft/lb's that is shown on the graph in post #49?

Like i said previously, same torque as standard, just holds it slightly longer, and is flat as a pancake.

And what torque figure is that then? The standard 147ft/lb's that is shown on the graph in post #49?

No what I ment is everyone always looks at bhp figures and goes on them, the key feature of the product is constant torque figure it makes from 2.5k rpm till right through the rev range

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
No what I ment is everyone always looks at bhp figures and goes on them, the key feature of the product is constant torque figure it makes from 2.5k rpm till right through the rev range
Very noticable and useful because I drive mine on the road, every day

Clio 182 Trophy
Why are people who don't have this kit fitted sharing their views.

It's a totally different car to drive with the RS2 fitted. On a straight it doesn't feel much faster to be honest but on a good back road it flies, the smooth power delivery and low down torque makes a world of difference in this situation where you're not always revving up to 7000rpm and beyond. I find I don't need to drop it down a cog and keep it above 5000rpm for some decent acceleration, the torque is always there when you need it and the smooth progression makes it a pleasure to drive.

Trophy #382
Why are people who don't have this kit fitted sharing their views.

It's a totally different car to drive with the RS2 fitted. On a straight it doesn't feel much faster to be honest but on a good back road it flies, the smooth power delivery and low down torque makes a world of difference in this situation where you're not always revving up to 7000rpm and beyond. I find I don't need to drop it down a cog and keep it above 5000rpm for some decent acceleration, the torque is always there when you need it and the smooth progression makes it a pleasure to drive.

Completely agree with this statement, I doubt mine is much faster in a straight line too, but on a twisty b-road you can really notice the difference pulling out of the slower corners making it faster cross country. Sounds awesome too.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So many people miss the point of the RS2 its unreal.

Its not about peak power, or maximum bhp, it is about a bolt on solution that provides a far smoother power/torque curve & improved driveability, for a fast road car. For out & out power, or high revviness, fit cams instead, but dont expect much pull from low revs, when your in the wrong gear. If you have twice the money of the RS2, & are chasing out & out power, with improved driveability (& sh1t mpg), fit ITB's.

For me, i think those results are decent enough, 174-187bhp.

Not bad considering all you are really changing is the 'matched inlets' to an 'RS2 inlet' - surely proving how good Tom's design is?

CBR1K, F21 125D
Looks a nice mod, why do you think all fast and track worthy vtec lumps have vtec killer type cams... Smooth power is worth far more than peaky unusable top numbers.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
From the results and what people say it sounds an excellent design but is really worth £1200? If it was £600-700 it'd would be good value for money as £1200 just seems a bit steep to make something a bit smoother.

I'm not trolling btw it's a genuine question, mainly at ppl who don't have them fitted but have been in them or have driven them without splashing the cash on the kit.