ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Joe's Racing Blue Project

Easiest solution 'in car' is to just get a spare case, drill the side of the case and run it off a USB cigarette lighter charger instead of battery

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
What mounts are you using Joe? I would strongly suggest you get some more batteries, as you'll go through them pretty fast
I bought the 'Suction Cup Mount 2' and a different mount that will attach onto my tow eye. I may order a spare battery up also.

I know that this one isn't genuine, but what do you think? Also comes with an in car charger pack.
Sendy 2 x Batteries for gopro HD Hero3, GO PRO HD Hero 3 + UK charger + US/europe plug + Car charging adapter - Battery AHDBT-301 for gopro HD Hero 3, Go Pro HD Hero3 Black edition, gopro HD Hero 3 silver, Go Pro HD Hero3 white
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=a9_sc...keywords=gopro+hd+hero&ie=UTF8&qid=1432641851

Did you get the 3 or 3+, Joe?

3+ is meant to be a bit better on battery life. Get about an hour and a half out of my 3 Black Edition.
I went for the GoPro 3. I couldn't really justify buying the + to be honest, so I think the 3 will be perfect for what I need it for really.

Easiest solution 'in car' is to just get a spare case, drill the side of the case and run it off a USB cigarette lighter charger instead of battery
That's another option Jord. My kit came with a spare case, so I could use that. And buy a 5m lead or something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the same batteries from Amazon and never had an issue. If anything they last longer than the genuine one. 5M USB and USB adaptor works great too aye.

Most of the time a higher rating does mean they last longer, but not always - all comes down to the quality too. The spare 5d2 'no brand' batteries I had were a much higher rating, but lasted nowhere near as long as an OEM. Very hit and miss.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Right then, time for an update.

As you all know, I recently purchased a set of AST Sportline 1's to fit onto the Clio. After a lot of research I felt these were most ideal for what I wanted in a set. I've also heard a lot of people talking and doing a front end suspension refresh, which I've been wanting to do for quite some time now. With buying a pair of second hand 54mm hubs, I decided I may as well replace both wheel bearings at the same time. With them being at least 9 years old, I'd be a little annoyed if one decided to go after having all the car set up etc.

Anyway, after a few PM's to Renault-Wolverhampton I had an order made up which consisted of the following:

2X 54mm wheel bearings
2X 182 Cup wishbones (complete with ball joints)
2X Inner track rods
2X Track rod ends
2X Inner ARB bushes
2X Outer ARB bushes
2X Steering rack bushes (SMI rack)
And then a few general bits and bobs.

After a rather large (and angry delivery driver) I had everything ready to go. Started off with the rear end which took all of 10 minutes to do. The adjusters move effortlessly, but I've been advised to keep them 1-2 from full soft just to prevent them from seizing. But hopefully I won't have any issues like that.

13226230775_8f8cd65407_z.jpg

IMG_6509 by Joe_Harding, on Flickr

Then we moved onto the front. Everything removed then we tackled the inner track rods using a crows foot spanner. Copper Greased up the replacement and tightened up, and then the new boot was put on.

13226708354_942640620f_z.jpg

IMG_6506 by Joe_Harding, on Flickr

13226794724_e1f6a3f8b2_z.jpg

IMG_3048 by Joe_Harding, on Flickr

Next up was the rack bushes, which weren't as bad as I had been anticipating.

13226738134_3c6888e0d2_z.jpg

IMG_3052 by Joe_Harding, on Flickr

And then the ARB. Which was the biggest pain out of all the jobs, but that's life. We decided to just remover the ARB completely to install the new inners, just to make it a little easier.

13226774654_6b7cb8ceb5_z.jpg

IMG_3049 by Joe_Harding, on Flickr

Front shocks were then fitted to the car, I'm running PMS Solid top mounts so there was no need to replace those. And then a beer, it always helps ;)

13226556303_f9fbc97189_z.jpg

IMG_3054 by Joe_Harding, on Flickr

Comparison between the ktec coilovers, and the AST's..

13226661183_defc04f529_z.jpg

IMG_3044 by Joe_Harding, on Flickr

13226844874_999493413e_z.jpg

IMG_3043 by Joe_Harding, on Flickr

Wishbones and TRE's were then fitted and we called it a day.

13226426585_20003c2ce5_z.jpg

IMG_3051 by Joe_Harding, on Flickr

I also completely forgot that I'd loose my PM stud kit for the front, so that was sorted we a bit of heat and elbow grease.

13226632274_95c78453cd_z.jpg

IMG_6507 by Joe_Harding, on Flickr

And now I've come a little stuck. We had to knock the end of the shaft ever so slightly to break it free from the old hubs, and in doing so we altered the end thread for the nut. After quite a bit of messing around filing etc, we weren't getting anywhere with it. So I've ordered up a new shall, so that'll just replaced. The CV boot was damaged slightly anyway, so I may as well kill 2 birds with one stone and replace it while I'm doing everything else.

So I'm just waiting for that to come, fit it and then alter the track, camber and height, then I should be ready to go then.

13226471844_4d0d5e0930_z.jpg

IMG_6510 by Joe_Harding, on Flickr

I'd just like to thank @ROB91 @jord @Hawk182 @Carbonraider Appreciate all your help lads :)

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Nice update, cant beat a suspension refresh. I do need some AST in my life
I'll have to do a little wright up when the car has been setup properly. Looking forward to driving it though.
Good stuff mate.. Whens its next outing?
Thanks. The Ring ;) Then Anglesey probably mate, haven't booked anything yet though.
Looking good Joe!

I'd look at getting some stuff to spray on the coilovers to help protect them, something like GT-85 or some other PTFE or Silicone spray.
I remember Rob asking the question on here actually. He's using silicone spray iirc, and it's keeping them in top condition. I just need to keep on top of them.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I also completely forgot that I'd loose my PM stud kit for the front, so that was sorted we a bit of heat and elbow grease.
I also realised this when changing rear disks. I tightened 2 bolts together to give me something to undo them with

Clio 182 FF
Just read through all this mate, I like what you've done! I didn't realise you had a JMS intake on when you came round the other day.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Great work Joe, how long did the ASTs take to get.?

I was going to order a set but im going for the BC's from Mick.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Great work Joe, how long did the ASTs take to get.?

I was going to order a set but im going for the BC's from Mick.
I got in contact with AST directly, and they had a set on the shelves at the time. So it was good look I guess. Might be worth an ask?

I also considered the BC's that Mick is doing. They look like a nice bit of kit too.

Megane 175 & BG182
Interested to see what you make of the RSR's mate, see if we can finally clear up the mess about why there are some cheaper than others... They are going to look awesome on the car tho, instant aggression!

Interested to see what you make of the RSR's mate, see if we can finally clear up the mess about why there are some cheaper than others... They are going to look awesome on the car tho, instant aggression!

They are only the same price R888 used to be, before all the hype and Toyo realising people will pay whatever the price just to have an R888.

Lots of reports of cracking across the tread, bad batches, etc, but over 11/12 tyres used on track days only I've yet to have an issue. They offer good cold grip, last plenty of time once hot and don't 'drop off' as quick as R888s do after longer periods. Its a shame that people think they are 'cheap rubbish', just because of the brand name, when in fact they have no personal experience with them, just forum hearsay.