ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just been to get tracking done and turns out there are bent bits - advice please

Ph2 Flamer
Just had two new front tyres put on (front left had really bad wear on the outter rim) and when they put it up on the ramp to check the tracking they spotted a bent rod which I think is the track rod. The guy tried to loosen it to sort the tracking out but it's suitably bent he couldn't do anything. Bought the car for 1k about 6 months ago and knew it had taken a knock at some point as the bumper had a small ding but the circumstances under which I bought the car didn't lend themselves to me giving the car a proper inspection, but that's neither here nor there at this stage.

What i'd like to know is how straight forward is it to replace the track rod and track rod end (or is it tie rod end...). They don't seem that expensive to buy, so might replace the track rods and ends on both sides. Any special tools required, useful tips, things not to do to cause more damage. Also if anyone has had a track rod replaced on their car how much labour did it involve as part of me thinks it might be best to get a mechanic to do it.

Cheers

Ph2 Flamer
think Fred means with the renault approved tool, not the one he's made.

Fred B'ham isn't a million miles from Newport, if I was to bring the motor up to you would you be able to do the work and roughly how much would it cost for both sides?

Lionel Richie
yeah i mean without the tool its a pig to do

don't think renault sell a tool to do the job, they might though!

Ph2 Flamer
hmm if it's a pig without a tool I don't have then I think I'll get someone who knows what they are doing to do it. Looks like its bread and water this month then lol

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
yeah i mean without the tool its a pig to do

don't think renault sell a tool to do the job, they might though!

yer we have the renault tool, slides over the trackrod and grips onto the ball joint part. Vauxhall next door to us are always borrowing it. Good bit of kit.