ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just bought a LY Clio 182...

LY R26, LY 182
Evening All,

We've just brought a 2005 '05 Clio 182 in Liquid Yellow with both cup packs. This it the third clio 182 we've owned, although there has been a gap of 4 years since the last one. Both previous ones were Black Gold, and we rather liked the LY as the Megane R26 we have is LY and looks great. The eventual plan is to sell the Megane once the New Vauxhall Insignia is built, and have the Clio for a bit of occasional fun.

So, picked up the Clio yesterday. It has done 54,000 miles with a full service history. It looks well cared for outside, but the interior needs a bit of TLC.
The body work is really good, a few stone chips and a scuff to the mirror. and some marks on two of the alloys, although not kerbed.

Paid £4,500 for it with 10 months MOT and Tax, which I thought was reasonable after identifying it needed the following work in the near future:

Exhaust brackets all need replacing as worn - ordered today so will replace shortly.
Catalytic converter will need attention soon, but will get it checked out by a garage for peace of mind.
Brakes will need changing soon, quite lipped on rear discs.
Headlights have started to craze - will sign up as a paid member to see the guide!
Number plate lamp to be replaced (just because I am fussy).
Needs a front Airbox Mount as the bolt has sheared off and I can't get the bugger out, so airbox is a little loose.
Exhaust heat shield needs resecuring - just a washer should do it.
Climate control to be changed as two buttons showing signs of wear (again me being fussy).
Steering Wheel has started to melt (as they all do!) but not overly worn. Thumb grips are in very good condition, but as the steering wheel is sticky, want to do something with this.
Also, door handles/pulls on inside are sticky - so want to replace these also.
Gear Knob slightly sticky - again will probably replace. (it is amazing how bad the materials Renault used on the 182 are - everything feels sticky!!! and it is pretty gross!)
Drivers seat squabb/base a little worn, no tears etc but I want to replace. Also want to try and replace foam.
Something is rattling about deep within the dash - I think a screw or something has fallen into the heater motor behind the climate control - I've dismantled most of it today and that is the only part I cannot open to check - and it sounds like that is where it is coming from!
Trim rattle in the back - need to get sorted!
New floor mats - the current ones are a little worn and are Renault Sports ones, but they are black!?!? Confusing... the interior is grey/anthracite colour so they look odd.

I would appreciate help from owners on the following...!

Any ideas on how much the seat base leather/alcantara costs to replace? Only need the drivers base (as I am being picky!)
Seat belts dirty - any tips on cleaning?
How do you access the Heater motor under dash and open it (to remove whatever is rolling around in there!!!) Can I drill a hole in it to fish whatever is in their out then re-seal it - I do not want to have to dismantle any more of the dash!!!!
Steering wheel retrimming - Anyone do this yet - recommendations of people and costs?

I've made it sound like a lemon, but it is actually quite tidy and looks great (although we do look pretty sad as we've got the LY clio in the garage, and a LY Megane on the drive!) lol

Because we are trading down from a mint 2008 Megane R26 to this nearly 6 year old clio, I want to make the clio just right where it is not perfect to make it a really nice example.
It is a bit of a shock how much the cars have deteriotated in 4 years, but saying that both of ours were less than 2 years old before they were sold or written off by the mrs!!

I've already changed the indicator bulbs to Silvertech ones, but am considing amber LEDs
and a full LED upgrade in general (the silvertech's were still hanging around since last clio days!!! lol) and still work!

I'll get some pics uploaded soon - It needs a clean as got caped driving back yesterday as it started to chuck it down!

Any help on the above points would be appreciated.... :)