ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help please new clio owner

Clio 182
Hi all , new to the site and need help with my clio ,, so long story short I brought a clio 182 yesterday and it has some issues ,, totally new to clios and French cars so I'll get to it

So first issue I have is a nasty rattle when the clutch is pressed , second issue Is whine its constant as soon as the cars revved stationary and in gear ,, upon driving its exactly the same rises and falls with revs ,,, I've got receipts for timing belt being done in the last couple of years but not aux belt or tensioner

So I brought it yesterday and the cars really clean interior and bodywork ,, the drive back was good and the whining was intermittent, today its constant 😑

The rattle on the clutch again is only present when the clutch is pressed and the clutch is quite heavy ,, gearbox changes smooth with no crunches ,, I'm based in derby and would be grateful is there's anyone that knows about these could take a listen for me ,, I've emailed diamond renault boys in long eaton but not had a reply as yet , thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20240306_180043.jpg
    20240306_180043.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 20240306_180108.jpg
    20240306_180108.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20240307_141117.mp4
    21.1 MB

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate, welcome etcetc.

Clutches on these are quite heavy. The rattling sounds like a clutch release bearing.

The whine is difficult to diagnose without a video however it sounds like a idler puller bearing might have failed. Could also be the power steering pump or AC pump. See if the noise changes when you steer or when you turn AC on/off.

Aux belt will be due even if it was done at the same time as the cambelt. Its not that difficult to change the aux belt and tensioner, just a bit tight on space.

Clio 182
Hi mate, welcome etcetc.

Clutches on these are quite heavy. The rattling sounds like a clutch release bearing.

The whine is difficult to diagnose without a video however it sounds like a idler puller bearing might have failed. Could also be the power steering pump or AC pump. See if the noise changes when you steer or when you turn AC on/off.

Aux belt will be due even if it was done at the same time as the cambelt. Its not that difficult to change the aux belt and tensioner, just a bit tight on space.
Thankypu for the swift reply I was thinking release bearing but never heard one that rattles whe clutch is pressed and quite when depressed ,,, taking it down to mate who's a mechanic later see if he can pin point the whining noise

Clio 182
Hi mate, welcome etcetc.

Oh I did add a video bud

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
The whining is normal although yours is louder than usual. If I was a betting man I'd say it's the bearing on the Auxiliary pulley failing.
I'd get that checked and changed straight away as if that fails and your auxiliary belt snaps, it'll likely take your cambelt with it.

Not even sure I'd be driving daily until that's checked out.

The auxiliary kits are on backorder from Renault but CP Performance has acquired some here - https://cp-performance.co.uk/product/genuine-renault-sport-clio-auxiliary-belt-kit-172-182/

Clutches are heavyish but not excessively - mines very light - and they can creak when the engine is hot. A new cable will sort it out, plus the clutch forks dry out. If you pull the clutch cable rubber boot off, you can carefully get some moly grease in there. Obviously, be very careful not to get any on the clutch facings. Your mechanic should be able to sort that.

Welcome aboard,

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
The power steering pumps are relatively quiet. You know those are on the way out because they whine when turning left and right whilst stationary. The steering feels a little heavy and vague also whilst driving, but unless you're used to the cars characteristics, it's difficult to diagnose.

I've just had two go on my RB. Bought a recon unit off eBay and it's really quiet and the steering is very precise and light.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just to confuse matters one of my power steering pumps was whined all the time just like that and the steering felt normal.

It later exploded at Brands hatch after doing exactly 2 warmup laps 😂

My car also doesn't whine at all.

Clio 182
The power steering pumps are relatively quiet. You know those are on the way out because they whine when turning left and right whilst stationary. The steering feels a little heavy and vague also whilst driving, but unless you're used to the cars characteristics, it's difficult to diagnose.

I've just had two go on my RB. Bought a recon unit off eBay and it's really quiet and the steering is very precise and light.
Is ot possible to buy the bearing and give that shot to rule it out ,, also the the clutch is rattle when depressed so I think its ddefo more than just a new cable needed sadly

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
also the the clutch is rattle when depressed so I think its ddefo more than just a new cable needed sadly
I meant in relation to the stiffness of the clutch.

The rattle is wear and tear no doubt. Old cars, poor maintenance, cheap parts, par for the course I’m afraid.

The clutch guide tubes get very worn. Couple that with worn release bearings = rattle.

They can even come loose, although that’s rare.

IMG_2728.jpeg

Sach’s do a decent replacement P/N (8200128328)

IMG_2746.jpeg

The OEM Mfr is Corteco P/N (49376781).

Regarding just getting the bush to test it. I’d just buy the whole kit. Why take any chances if you can’t verify it’s been replaced.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all , new to the site and need help with my clio ,, so long story short I brought a clio 182 yesterday and it has some issues ,, totally new to clios and French cars so I'll get to it

So first issue I have is a nasty rattle when the clutch is pressed , second issue Is whine its constant as soon as the cars revved stationary and in gear ,, upon driving its exactly the same rises and falls with revs ,,, I've got receipts for timing belt being done in the last couple of years but not aux belt or tensioner

So I brought it yesterday and the cars really clean interior and bodywork ,, the drive back was good and the whining was intermittent, today its constant 😑

The rattle on the clutch again is only present when the clutch is pressed and the clutch is quite heavy ,, gearbox changes smooth with no crunches ,, I'm based in derby and would be grateful is there's anyone that knows about these could take a listen for me ,, I've emailed diamond renault boys in long eaton but not had a reply as yet , thanks in advance
You're very close to Mick at Diamond Motors in Long Eaton, I'd highly recommend having him look at it and diagnose, he knows these cars and is highly recommended on here.

Clio 182
So just got back from my mate who's a mechanic and he thinks the whine is also down to the clutch as it quietens down when clutch is half way in and revved ,, the went to drive home and the clutch is squeeling pedal kicking back a bit ,, sounded like the clutch was being ridden and struggled to get it into gear , all along with a high pitched squeal the min I looked at the clutch pedal so I need to get it booked ASAP as I can't use it now ,, so fingers crossed a clutch sorts ot