ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-Tec Racing 172/182 Turbo

clio 182
:evil: Hi!!!!
Has anyone looked at the K-Tec racing site recentley????
They have just brought out a turbo for the clio 172/182 which could boost ya to a unbelivable 300bhp!!!! Price is £6000 including fitting abit pricey to say the least!!!!
Anyway does any one know what else would need to be done to the car as im thinking of treating myself!!!

R35 GTR
I've got my car there at the moment, they are great guys, but won't let me have my car back until its's spot on.lol.

Clio Sport 172 phII
what is with the gearbox??
Is it standard or???

I am not sure that standard gearbox can handle 300 bhp :)

Oh god! Come on people. Why not sell clio 7k + 6k buy a faster car (skyline etc...) which doesnt need a weekly engine rebuild...

Fine if you have plenty of money

Valver
Yes but that would be the easy option wouldn't it, and i think you would be praised more pulling up in a Turbo'd Clio! ;)

If you can afford it, do it! probably one of the most exciting feelings :D

Yes but that would be the easy option wouldn't it, and i think you would be praised more pulling up in a Turbo'd Clio! ;)

Yes you have a point and i suppose we all prioritise where out money goes. But spending £6000 on a clio seems ridiculous especially with the amount of problems you'd have with it. Bit unfair to tell him to go for it when the week after it needs a new clutch or gearbox or something, You'd be better off going for throttle bodies they sound nicer aswell ;)

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2

One our customers was most satisfied when an Aston Martin DB9 driver praised him for his car after it pulled away from the DB9.

To date we have 9 cars running the conversion and no one has had a gearbox let go.

Our car will also be for sale in the next few weeks as it is now back in full road trim along with a refreshed engine and clutch. It is a very quick and fun car for £10k. ;)

David.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Oh god! Come on people. Why not sell clio 7k + 6k buy a faster car (skyline etc...) which doesnt need a weekly engine rebuild...

Not much on the road that would be as quick as a 300bhp clio.

We put a customers car up against a Ferrari 355 and did some 60 - 120mph runs (on a private runway) and each time the Clio would slowly pull away from the Ferrari.

David.

Well your not gunna come on here and say its crap being that you sell the product are you?

Of course it'l never break nothing needs uprating infact its better than standard. Jesus come on..

Need some opinions on maintenance costs from some turbo clios owners please..

I will apoligise if I'm wrong but general consensus is there not overly reliable probably something to do with the fact the gearbox + other components were never made to take 300HP!

Agreed it would be awesome but its an expensive hobby!

For all the 'buy a faster car' people

Porsche 996 GT3 = 267 bhp/ton
Ferrari 355 GTB 277 bhp/ton
Honda NSX 212 bhp/ton
Ferrari 550 Maranello 287bhp/ton

clio turbo 280-300bhp/ton ;)

Engine and components will be under alot more stress so more regular servicing and avoiding full bore standing starts is probably a good idea.

Last edited:

Honda NSX 212 bhp/ton

Engine and components will be under alot more stress so more regular servicing and avoiding full bore standing starts is probably a good idea.

Like I said awesome power (but dont expect a stress free experience!) The car simply wasnt built for that much power!

Like I said awesome power (but dont expect a stress free experience!) The car simply wasnt built for that much power!

Agreed.

Too many people assume that more expensive with more power means faster. Speed always depends on weight and a clio doesnt weigh much.

Iceberg 172

Fine if you want to spend £13k on a car and decide on an alternative route :)

Not so good if you want to spend £7k on a car and make it go a bit faster.... :rasp:

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Look no one buys a Clio Sport just for it's handling my old 1.4 Dynamique was just as good and cost £5000 less than my 182. It's the thrill and sheer pleasure of being able to leave all those w******s behind in the Vectras, Mondeos and 2.0DTI blumming stupidly heavy Audis behind quite easy as you know they are thrashing the hell out of their car to catch you or even try to get away form you. Not that I sugguest just ragging it for the hell of it but it is nice when they come up behind you on the motorway flashing their lights to be past when all they have to do is wait a few more seconds for you to pull in when you just see their faces in the mirror as you pull away from them..... Renault Sport logo isn't just there for looks so take a hint just be patient and you won't be embarrassed in front of the mrs........
Big car mentality, my car is bigger, cost more than yours so has to be better than yours..... ok maybe they're right on build quality. So I can only assume that pleasure would be increased 10 fold with 300hp and the cars you would be leaving behind or keeping up with would be more respectable. A true wolf in sheeps clothing and if you can afford to splash out £6000 then I'm sure you would be able to afford any repairs to problems later on.
Went off the beaten track there but thats my rant

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
mattjk has a point but thats what the main appeal would be for me! How Stupid would you feel if you drove a porsche or farrari and were totally OWNED by a clio!
Id say that everyone on here who spends money on their car for increased performance keeps that in mind! Ive only had cams but for what ive achieved out on the open road against all these so called Expensive sports cars id say it was well worth the hassle of having to replace parts more often.
In my view-if you drive like miss daisy then why the f*ck do you buy a sport model :rasp:

mattjk has a point but thats what the main appeal would be for me! How Stupid would you feel if you drove a porsche or farrari and were totally OWNED by a clio!
Id say that everyone on here who spends money on their car for increased performance keeps that in mind! Ive only had cams but for what ive achieved out on the open road against all these so called Expensive sports cars id say it was well worth the hassle of having to replace parts more often.
In my view-if you drive like miss daisy then why the f*ck do you buy a sport model :rasp:

Sorry I never replied to your message ages ago btw matey!! Something popped up half way through and i never finishesed it off sorry feel like a bit of a c**k!

RB 200 Cup!
:evil: Hi!!!!
Has anyone looked at the K-Tec racing site recentley????
They have just brought out a turbo for the clio 172/182 which could boost ya to a unbelivable 300bhp!!!! Price is £6000 including fitting abit pricey to say the least!!!!
Anyway does any one know what else would need to be done to the car as im thinking of treating myself!!!

def leave me in a drag race then... ;)

Mk2 172

But its still a clio!!!! as much as i love mine id rather put my money towards something better and fast to begin with. I mean lets be honest, how reliable is it going to be!!!!

Mk2 172

Honda NSX 212 bhp/ton

Yes buts its still a clio no matter how fast it goes!!!!!! My mate has got a corsa with a calibra turbo in it runnin a genuine 282 bhp!!! Yes its faster than my mates and my dads e46 m3 but i know which one id rather have!! Its still a corsa and the clio is still goin to be clio!! Still pretty cool tho ill admit that :)

Financially its a nightmare - You wont get much of that 6k back at the end of the day

I know ill get slated for saying it but it is a stupid thing to do really when you think about it realistically

Ill need to save for a house etc etc at some point Id much rather do that lol. But if your rich go for it!

i totally agree with the comment above, yer its a great idea and would keep you grinning all day long, but £6k is ALOT of money, if you add the price of the car, say £5k, then thats 11k... now think of the cars that would buy you..

go down the bodie route if you realy want to spend all that money, 5k would see 240bhp? which im sure would keep up with the turbo.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Well your not gunna come on here and say its crap being that you sell the product are you?

Of course it'l never break nothing needs uprating infact its better than standard. Jesus come on..

Need some opinions on maintenance costs from some turbo clios owners please..

I will apoligise if I'm wrong but general consensus is there not overly reliable probably something to do with the fact the gearbox + other components were never made to take 300HP!

Agreed it would be awesome but its an expensive hobby!

If the conversion was crap we would not offer it in the first place, simple as that. We have also not stated that nothing will ever go wrong and the car will be as reliable as a standard car. What I have said (and read this a couple of times as you have missed the point so far) is that we have not had any major issues what so ever with the cars we have converted.

We have literally tried to kill our car on the track and it has taken everything we have thrown at it. We have even removed and stripped the engine to see how it has handles the power an all we ended up doing was fitting a new head set and cambelt kit. I could go on but you clearly are not in a fan of the kit so I will not bother.

Yes, it is an expensive conversion, as there is so much involved, but it is upto the individual to decide whether they can justify it or not and I am confident to say that everyone who has had the conversion done is very happy with what they have spent their money on. As long as the cusotmers are happy then I am happy.

David.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
go down the bodie route if you realy want to spend all that money, 5k would see 240bhp? which im sure would keep up with the turbo.[/QUOTE]

Its been tried and the throttle bodied car was left for dead on the track. You also seem to be fogetting the small matter of over 250lbs/ft of torque.

David.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Yes buts its still a clio no matter how fast it goes!!!!!! My mate has got a corsa with a calibra turbo in it runnin a genuine 282 bhp!!! Yes its faster than my mates and my dads e46 m3 but i know which one id rather have!! Its still a corsa and the clio is still goin to be clio!! Still pretty cool tho ill admit that :)

SO why buy a cup instead of the ff version apart from the obvious price difference after all its still a clio......... and not that much of a noticeable difference in 0-60 terms. Was it not for the pleasure of the drive and knowing you have something reasonably quick compared to other cars in its class and in some cases the next 2 classes above?
No-one buys a Clio Sport for a status symbol unless your 17 and for the same price you could buy a car that people think is better such as the new focus until they had driven them both....
Ask Clarkson he loved the handling and quickness of the Clio, bish bash bosh big smile on your face the end.

FOCUS ST 275
£50 a week for 2 years and this could be mine...............

im thinking no alcohol for 2 years = turbo clio.... mmmmmmm

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
I love my little car and yes IF I could afford it I would have a big nice posh M3 or similar and keep the Clio but I would still get the turbo conversion done just for the sheer fun of it's drive and responsiveness. Afterall its all about the Va Va Voom.

I'd love the kit

But people need to understand the repurcussions of doing this to a clio that wasnt built for that sort of power

You might be lucky you might not. You seem to think I'm being deliberately rude and argumentative. I just want to make it clear to whoever buys it that you are very likely going to have problems!

I would personally rather save the 6k and put it towards a mortgage on a house and if i had 6k to spend after that I'd rather get something a little cooler ;-)

Just makes more sense to me, you need to weigh up the pros and cons!

EDIT: People with turbo clios please input!!

Last edited:

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
I'd love the kit

But people need to understand the repurcussions of doing this to a clio that wasnt built for that sort of power

You might be lucky you might not. You seem to think I'm being deliberately rude and argumentative. I just want to make it clear to whoever buys it that you are very likely going to have problems!

I would personally rather save the 6k and put it towards a mortgage on a house and if i had 6k to spend after that I'd rather get something a little cooler ;-)

Sorry, I was just basing my replies on fact and experience not speculation.

David.

I'd love the kit

Sorry, I was just basing my replies on fact and experience not speculation.

David.

God you'r really getting wound up about this arn't you?

I'll leave it now I'v put my point across

Have a good day and take care

Honda NSX 212 bhp/ton

Badge snob.

I suppose tearing past an M3 in a Corsa would be quite funny.

I never owned a car because it had the right badge or was a comfortable cruiser. When I get old, mid 40's? I might buy an old mans car.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172
No PLUG intended here but one reason the turbo,ed clio holds its power well without breaking is probably healped by the uprated mounts k-tec do.
I have a couple on my car and they were cheap as chips and worth their weight in gold ;)
Its got to be the main appeal here to have a car that tears up the oppostion when they dont expect it!
Plus something else i found out through investigation is that you could probably turbo ur clio for half that cost,thats with the right connections of course ;)