ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

keep cup or buy Type R

Guys and Girls need your advice.

I currently own a cup which happens to be my second cup in 4 years.

I have owned it now for 2 years, had several problems with my engine mounts, its been in to the dealer 4 times still cant fix it.

For the past year i really have thought about buying the type r (civic) just wanted a change.

I had a test drive in an 04 plate (new face lifted version) with 20,000 miles going for £14k in silver, it is a very nice car to drive, different to the cup it just feels like its been put together better, it has good handling, engine sounds lovely and has loads more room inside.

Its not all about speed or performance, handling, i just fancy a change and wanted your advice to see what you guys think.

I know a few members here have changed from 172/172 cup/182 etc to civic type r's and wanted some feed back.

I love my cup but i feel that the time has come to move on, the thing is i have only done 14000 miles in 2 years so my cup isnt really run in properly the more i drive it the more fun im having.

What should i do.

Lee

BMW M2C
I've had a 172, 182 with Cup packs and now the Trophy. Twice I've looked at buying a CTR, first the original one, then the updated one. On both occasions I decided I really didn't like the engine and that I'd soon get tired of having to thrash it so hard.

I stayed with the Clio each time and I'm glad I did.

lee

Thanks for the advice.

i know what you mean the problem is that the engine mounts are the main problem, the car has only done 14,000miles what kind of problems will happen when i get to 30,000 miles.

Lee

BMW M2C
I know, I had mine done on the 182 and the Trophy is in next Tuesday. Plus the exhaust is already starting to go, as it did on my 172 and 182. I've had pretty much the same faults on all 3 cars. Luckily a decent drive always reminds me why I put up with them.

106 GTi
Considered the Type R when I was buying the 182, found them very different cars. If you like the CTR and the way it drives, then maybe its the car for you. Wasnt for me. My friend picked his CTR up a week after I got the 182, 5 + odd long drives back to back I am still glad of the choice I made.

Megane Mk4
If I'm honest before I got rid of my mk1 172 I went to look at the Type R as a next alternative car. Its group 17 insurance so its the next band up, more expensive new, I wanted new this time round and Honda wasnt prepared to give me much discount or as much as Renault was for a part-ex on my old motor. It would've probably cost more to run too.

The 182 wasnt a bad price when I looked at them new (my mk1 172 on part-ex and dealer was asking £8.5K for new - pretty good deal at the time)
Its group 16 and its cheap to run - unless the steel foot is down all the time ;) lol

I would estimate how much each cars going to cost to run tbh and if you can afford both, go test drive both and decide that way. Thats what I did when I went looking ;)

Andi

I didnt like the drive of the CTR compared to the 182, but if you like, do it, they are good cars at the end of the day, just most people on here didnt like the ctr or couldnt afford it if they did.

nb. this is my opinion based on comments other people have made, so please no-one get pissy becauise I have said some people may have bought a 172/182/cup/trophy because they couldnt afford a CTR

MINI JCW
good point, im not a big fan of the looks of the type R, when i bought the 182 I never considered it but thats becuase I didnt want to spend that much

I think if i was going to swap my 182 for another hot hatch Id go with the one of the new ones Golf GTI, Meg 225, Focus ST or VXR

cock mobile.
It's not the matter of not affording it. ^^

I test drove a CTR and it's a decent car, gear box is great. I could have easily afforded one when I got my cup, it would just have been older than the Cup was.

It wasn't for me, I think it's relatively heavy and they're just so common; the steering feel was also not that great.

I wouldn't swap my Clio for one, it is imo quite a similar car really and it wouldn't be worth the hassle / money.

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
gazcaddy said:
I think if i was going to swap my 182 for another hot hatch Id go with the one of the new ones Golf GTI, Meg 225, Focus ST or VXR

Or the new polo gti coming out this year - that looks like it should be something exciting.:clown:

dont want to stray off topic but your engine mounts, is the problem where the engine sounds like its gonna bounce out the bonnet under hard accelleration? e.g bang bang bang bang as i get that what do i need to do just go to renaut and say i want the engine mounts replacing?

guys thanks for all the great feedback.

That is the only thing stopping me, the price is £14k for a 54 plate, which sounds pretty good, the only problem is that the finance would be over 5 years at £300 a month, thats with no protection on the finance, i dont really fancy commiting myself for that long, if i had the car over 3 years it would cost £400 per month.

Once the new reg comes out the prices will drop.

I have seen some 52/02 plate type r's going for 10k.

jez.

My engine mounts pop all the time when i accelerate gently then release of the accelerator you hear a banging noise from the front right side of the car.

The banging noise you get is when you accelerate to hard in 1st the front wheels try to grip and the tyres feel like they are bouncing which causes the heavy thudding noise coming from the gearbox area.

I think. could be wrong.

Vee dub
The new polo gti does look sweet, but theyr not making it as quick as they should!

I'd have a type R if you gave me the choice....

Ad

MK2 FRS
Mite be worth a drive in an LCR, i liked the Type R but for me the Leon was a better drive and VAG build is certainly a match for the honda.

Black/Gold 182
in this months car magazine, they posted a price of £14995 for CTR with delivery miles including air con. dealer listed as www.bobgerard.co.uk.

I just checked it out but has gone already. There's a new CTR out this year so don't pay over the odds.

Clio 172 Phase 2
go for a DC5 import for only £12K, better value for money, quicker than the type R too. i'm not being funny or anything, but i'm kinda sick of the 172, its a good to drive and fun, but the builled quality is just really poor. I've had mine since last September, gonna keep it a little longer, but can't wait to get rid at the same time. EVO 7 next for me!!

The price and finance is provided by a Honda Dealership in west london.

I have driven both type r's face lifted and old version both nice cars but think they are slightly expensive, still dont know what to do.

Ad

MK2 FRS
^^ LCR.... you wont be disappointed. at 14k, your not a million miles of R32 territory!!

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
Pocket Rocket said:
jez.

The banging noise you get is when you accelerate to hard in 1st the front wheels try to grip and the tyres feel like they are bouncing which causes the heavy thudding noise coming from the gearbox area.

I think. could be wrong.

Dammit, i have the same problem and also can't figure it out...haven't really considered engine mouts though...

As for the topic, i agree the build quality is a big issue with clios...hence, i have been cosidering replacing mine with an ITR or possibly the civic for some time now...

the thing is, i like the ITR and CTR (and i like them a lot), but i simply love the clio - if it is to be replaced by any of those mentioned above, it would be solely for build quality...oh, that plus the seating position ;)

320d
Sounds like you've already made your mind up to go for the civic

Performance wise both cars are basically even (no arguements please)

Your basically paying approx £7K extra just for a 'change' and better build quality/comfort and a car with more miles on the clock even though neither has many

I wouldn't pay £14.5k though look on www.pistonheads.com to get a better idea of true value

Renaultsport Clio 182
I say stick with the Cup. Would rather a Cup over the CTR anyday, it doesn't appeal to me having to thrash your car everywhere to get it go.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
It is a shame you have to rev the nuts off them.I still like the look of them though but a 7k upgrade is not value for money imho
You could have an evo 7 for that money

ian

Pocket Rocket said:
Guys and Girls need your advice.

I currently own a cup which happens to be my second cup in 4 years.

I have owned it now for 2 years, had several problems with my engine mounts, its been in to the dealer 4 times still cant fix it.

For the past year i really have thought about buying the type r (civic) just wanted a change.

I had a test drive in an 04 plate (new face lifted version) with 20,000 miles going for £14k in silver, it is a very nice car to drive, different to the cup it just feels like its been put together better, it has good handling, engine sounds lovely and has loads more room inside.

Its not all about speed or performance, handling, i just fancy a change and wanted your advice to see what you guys think.

I know a few members here have changed from 172/172 cup/182 etc to civic type r's and wanted some feed back.

I love my cup but i feel that the time has come to move on, the thing is i have only done 14000 miles in 2 years so my cup isnt really run in properly the more i drive it the more fun im having.

What should i do.

HI MATE , imho there not that much in it really , down to the driver for performance . civic is cool but cup is hot ? lol

insignia
Pocket Rocket said:
jez.

My engine mounts pop all the time when i accelerate gently then release of the accelerator you hear a banging noise from the front right side of the car.

I think. could be wrong.

Mine has done this ever sinse new-it stops you from putting the power down properly,especially in 1st gear

I have changed from a 182 to an Seat Ibiza Cupra, petrol version, i wouldnt look back, had so many problems with the 182 and the 172 i had before that. The build quality is so much better on the Seat. I would have gone for a type R but unfortunately due to the lack of seat height adjustment on them they are not really made for short people.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Dont forget the civic is a couple of years newer.

To think my my old 172 is the same age as my current gold is shocking.... The Golf is like it was the day if rolled of the line. my 02 reg 172 was knackered on 50k, loads of wear and tear and really had tried to look after it.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
Pocket Rocket said:
I had a test drive in an 04 plate (new face lifted version) with 20,000 miles going for £14k in silver

wowowowow.
<< 14,000 miles, 05 plate CTR in Cosmic Grey soon to be available for £14000
;)

Focus RS
I personally wouldnt go for the ctr they are getting way to common. If it appeals cos its bigger than the clio you should consider the 225 or for 14k you can probably get a decent example of the 147 gta if you look hard enough. They are seriously quick cars with more toys than the ctr too

Clio 172 Phase 2
the 147 have reliability issue, after all it is an alfa, plus the decpreciation levels are too high.

A big thanks to all of you for the great feed back, its just what i needed.

i have been looking at the megane 225 recently aswell, i really would want the trophy version but i dont know how much there going for.

I don't have a problem with my cup, apart from the mounts issue, but just fancied a change maybe something larger with all the extra's.

Once again you guys have been fantastic cheers for all the feedback.

Ad

MK2 FRS
haribo8 said:
the 147 have reliability issue, after all it is an alfa, plus the decpreciation levels are too high.

Cant agree with that. The 147 GTA has retained its value very well considering its an alfa as well.

www.chatham-honda.co.uk based in Edinburgh were advertising 55-plate CTRs for £14,995 in the weekend's papers, but I've not found anything on their website. Not sure if they're new, pre-reg or ex-demo's or what.

For what it's worth, if you're being put off by the Clio's faults then go for a CTR. I've not driven one, only been a passenger, but reliability can't be worse and - as you say - change can be good!

Also, Focus STs were going for about £14.8k in some car supermarkets/brokers- do a search on Google. That was a few weeks ago but they might still be there.